🥇 BANNER Revolutionary War USA Relic? No Idea, but I Know It's Old!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep in the woods today near the spot where I found a Rev War era stirrup. Got a low 70's signal 6 inches down and thought I had dug a flat button. Wiped it off and noticed that one side had grooves on it instead of a shank. Then I turned it over and saw a USA logo on it! Looks similar to the Rev War button logo, but not quite the same. It's 1" in diameter and appears to be brass.

Did some research online, but I drew a blank. No idea what this is or how old. Hoping it's Rev War, but it could be later than that. What the heck did I find?

DSC08342.JPG DSC08340.JPG DSC08345.JPG DSC08347.JPG

Upvote 115
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Congrats on finding one of the rarest possible coins you could dig, amazing :headbang:

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a coin that I've read about, seen a photo of, and filed in my brain under the section "Something no one ever digs."

You certainly proved me wrong! Wow. I realize that if we are talking about the monetary value of the coin, real or fake matters but I think you've got something priceless either way. That is... I don't even have words for this. Just crazy.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. Don't recall seeing one posted on here. Looking forward to seeing the USA side cleaned. Looks like some obvious difference from the 1860s so should be able to tell.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding one of the rarest possible coins you could dig, amazing :headbang:

By detecting bragging rights it's crazy rare, but there's a whole lot more rarer and more valuable possibilities. Just a super rare CT that looks like nothing much different than any other CT would crush it. That said, especially if the original, it's one cool coin and I'm sure it puts a person in a very small club of those who have dug one.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was shooting for a rare coin this year,I guess I’ll shoot for the NE shilling :laughing9:

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow.. if that’s a Bar Cent your talking some big money.. they made an electroplate version during the civil war, and another round of novelty restrikes during the early 1900s. That one looks the part though... PCGS or NGC would be able to certify it’s authenticity. Great Find!!!!!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again! I may have to man up and send it in and see what happens. They'll probably scratch their heads and tell me they have no clue. No resolution and kiss my $50 goodbye! LOL!

I'd just hate to see it chip away into oblivion because someone else manhandled it. If I trash it, that's the way it goes. But if it gets destroyed in the mail or at someone else's hands, that would annoy the heck out of me. I'll think about it, though...

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still believe its the real deal, but either way it has my banner vote. Simply put, the thought of finding a coin like this is THE motivation for many of us to pick up the detector.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the banner!! Good luck with sending it in, if you decided to do it. I am almost sure that it's the real deal, the 1862 counterfeit looks to be much rarer than the original actually. I can't even find photos of a copper example of the 1862 counterfeit on the internet, and only one silver example!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the banner, it looks great up there.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on making banner! I'm one of a number of members that do not think all that highly of authentication and grading services, especially for dug coins. I do recall one member posting a worn, oxidized Highley Copper that was submitted to a grading service. It came back no grade, no positive identification - just a charge to the member's credit card. Need convincing? My Oak Tree Shilling, a Spiny Tree, Noe-14 (one of the most recognizable varieties of Mass Silver) was assigned the wrong variety by NCS (NGC). Need more convincing? ??? Check this out.

View attachment NCS-WRONG DENOMINATION ON SHILLING.pdf

It appears that the experts at NGC can't tell the difference between Roman Numerals XII and III. These are the so-called experts. :mblah05::mblah05::mblah05: I believe that you would be far better to concentrate on conserving and preserving the coin yourself. Get some recommendations and make an informed decision on how to proceed. I'm a big believer in the use of mineral oil for halting the flaking process that you've observed thus far. Lots of good advice can be found here on T-Net. Good Luck!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the most awesome finds I've ever seen! Congrats!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I finally made banner! Only took me 4 1/2 years to pull it off! LOL! Thanks to everyone who voted for it! Takes the sting out of the 15 inches of snow I'm looking at in my yard! The snow giveth and the snow taketh away! But I know where I found this puppy and I'll be searching that area with a fine tooth comb ASAP! Thanks again!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am almost sure that it's the real deal, the 1862 counterfeit looks to be much rarer than the original actually. I can't even find photos of a copper example of the 1862 counterfeit on the internet, and only one silver example!

Yup, that's my thought process as well. There's only 65 counterfeit copies compared to probably thousands of the original. Either way, it's a rare find, so I'm happy as a clam!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Tree Chaser, yup that's the way I'm looking at it as well. I'm not going to sell it, so it really doesn't matter to me if it's real or not. I managed to slip it into a snap-tie holder, so it should be reasonably safe now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread