🥇 BANNER Revolutionary War USA Relic? No Idea, but I Know It's Old!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep in the woods today near the spot where I found a Rev War era stirrup. Got a low 70's signal 6 inches down and thought I had dug a flat button. Wiped it off and noticed that one side had grooves on it instead of a shank. Then I turned it over and saw a USA logo on it! Looks similar to the Rev War button logo, but not quite the same. It's 1" in diameter and appears to be brass.

Did some research online, but I drew a blank. No idea what this is or how old. Hoping it's Rev War, but it could be later than that. What the heck did I find?

DSC08342.JPG DSC08340.JPG DSC08345.JPG DSC08347.JPG

Upvote 115

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, this is the last time I ever touch this coin! From now on, it sits in my relics drawer, safe and reasonably sound. As you can see, just picking it up and placing it in the holder cost me some meat on the edges of the coin.

DSC08357.JPG DSC08356.JPG

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner! That’s what I did with my fugio after a quick dip

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, this is the last time I ever touch this coin! From now on, it sits in my relics drawer, safe and reasonably sound. As you can see, just picking it up and placing it in the holder cost me some meat on the edges of the coin.

View attachment 1563827 View attachment 1563828

HUGE congrats on this incredible coin and the banner. :occasion14: It looks relatively stable in this airtite container picture. I use airtites with black foam rings that you order by the mm and mic my coppers before picking out an airtite to fit it in. The foam will keep it from moving around in there and knocking into the plastic.

You should absolutely speak to someone well versed in these coppers. I do not recommend you do this, but I have stabilized coppers in the same way I stabilize pewters, with a mixture of elmers and water. This matron was in very wet acidic soil and the only detail left was in a patina that wanted to peel off. I treated it just as I would a pewter button and it is stable. Elmer's is water soluble and therefore reversible if necessary. I'd personally rather have something visually pleasing and IDable, than a blank disk.

52677.jpg

However your bar copper doesn't look anywhere close to as toasted as the ones I do that with. It looks fine in that airtite, so I wouldn't mess with it, but rather speak to someone who can advise you on stabilizing it and authenticating it.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a real deal Bar Cent. I have been fascinated with them since I saw a picture when I was 9 or 10 years old. They are rumored to be patterned after the continental Army coat button. They are technically not currency of any denomination but was traded as a penny and got it nickname "The Bar Cent" The real deal is not thin like a dime and yours appears to be very light in weight. That said, there was not just one counterfeiter but many and a lot more then 65? counterfeits exist. The cent is too corroded to see if the "thorn" is at the end of the second bar This would be the ringer tell tale absolutely original determining factor and it appears to be lost. The second but not absolute determiner would be the S under the A Which there is too much crud on the coin to see in your picture. Most I say Most of the fakes the line for the A does not travel over the top of the S. SO if you see the line of the A visible and raised as it passes over the S, based on the location found I would be comfortable in telling myself it is real. If there is no Line over the S to make a complete A You have a fake. Either way, it is a fascinating and incredible coin and find!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So while I was sorting through rusty iron and smashed beer cans Tim found a WHAT?!????:o Bravo my woods master hunter ELITE! Whether or not it's authentic upon recovery NO ONE can take this HELL of a JOY RIDE away from you buddy! I think I'd be scared to touch the thing if it was in my hands. Looking forward to the final chapter of this coins authentication. Banner well deserved. SWEET!!!:headbang:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations!!!!:headbang::hello2::notworthy:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1562815
Need I say more?!!!!!!!!
If that’s legit and it certainly looks to be, that is a very special find Tim. Very special indeed

Right, his S looks to be OVER the left leg of the A....a Bolen copy.....RARE! = BIG bucks!
...no wonder the Banner votes were in...! :icon_thumright:

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow wow wow wow wow wow. Supremely amazing find. Congratualtions!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Tim, sorry I missed the OP, that is an incredible find, Congrats on earning Banner.

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find Tim

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input! Let's hope the next time I find a rare coin there's no counterfeit to deal with! All this info about the difference between the real one and the counterfeit is giving me a headache!

P.S. Looks like we got at least 16 inches of snow here in Scituate. Going to be awhile before I can go back to woods!

sataro

Jan 16, 2013
Corsicana, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 | Nokta Simplex+ | Tesoro Mohave | Quest Xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on an outstanding once in a lifetime find!!!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The real deal is not thin like a dime and yours appears to be very light in weight.

Maybe not as thin as a dime, but not thick like an 1850's LC. I've found quite a few wheaties that were corroded and paper thin, so I don't think that's a good judge of it's authenticity.

Here's a few Wheaties I've found. As you can see, some are very thin and way underweight. I put an undamaged wheatie on each end to show you the difference in thickness. And these were in the ground for less than 100 years. Just my take on it...

DSC08366.JPG

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good God what a find! I logged in just to reply to this thread. Congratulations! Never, ever have I seen one of these dug and posted. Good Lord, that's amazing!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Thanks for all the input! Let's hope the next time I find a rare coin there's no counterfeit to deal with! All this info about the difference between the real one and the counterfeit is giving me a headache!

P.S. Looks like we got at least 16 inches of snow here in Scituate. Going to be awhile before I can go back to woods!

I'd sell that puppy and open up a Coinbase account....lol. Well done Sir, congratulations!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good God what a find! I logged in just to reply to this thread. Congratulations! Never, ever have I seen one of these dug and posted. Good Lord, that's amazing!

Im with buckle boy !! Incredible stuff. Im just glad I got to see one. Congratulations !!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This must be a good find if BuckleBoy's impressed! Man, I feel really stupid that I didn't appreciate this coin when I found it. Just didn't look like a coin or a token to me at the time. I did recognize the USA logo as being Rev War era, though, so I'm not a total idiot! LOL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread