🥇 BANNER Revolutionary War USA Relic? No Idea, but I Know It's Old!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep in the woods today near the spot where I found a Rev War era stirrup. Got a low 70's signal 6 inches down and thought I had dug a flat button. Wiped it off and noticed that one side had grooves on it instead of a shank. Then I turned it over and saw a USA logo on it! Looks similar to the Rev War button logo, but not quite the same. It's 1" in diameter and appears to be brass.

Did some research online, but I drew a blank. No idea what this is or how old. Hoping it's Rev War, but it could be later than that. What the heck did I find?

DSC08342.JPG DSC08340.JPG DSC08345.JPG DSC08347.JPG

Upvote 115

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
At first glance, it looks like a USA bar cent. These coins have been heavily forged over the years so I have no idea if it's real or not. Something like that would have to be determined by someone more knowledgeable than myself.

Bar Cent

If it is real, you have quite a rare find there! Congratz!

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Inquiring minds wanna know! Congrats! :thumbsup:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jesus man it’s a Bar Cent! That is one really really really nice find

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1520802148.139440.jpg
Need I say more?!!!!!!!!
If that’s legit and it certainly looks to be, that is a very special find Tim. Very special indeed

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been waiting to see one of these show up since 2009 .IMHO , Looks like the " Real Deal " , but there is always ....

THAT , chance ! Here is too hope so , :occasion14:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find of a life time ! I would strongly recommend no further cleaning, :occasion14::notworthy:

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's hard to beat your find, awesome recovery! I'm going to assume it's genuine based on where you found it.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on that rare old copper

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow!!! If that is real the real deal and not an early counterfeit, than you have just found one of the greatest coins ever posted on this website! It looks real to me, and I don't think their were many contemporary counterfeits of them made! I have always read about this coin, and thought that it was very interesting, but never thought that anyone would ever find one! Banner x10!

The closest to one that I could afford is this mug with one on it...
1785-BAR-CENT-COFFEE-MUG-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the quick ID! I never would have guessed that it was a coin from 1785! I was thinking maybe it was a decorative piece mounted to something, due to the grooves on the back.

I won't mess with it any more, but it is flaking a little on the edges now that it's dry. My luck to find a rare coin and it's toasted. Still a great find, though.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dont know man. It looks good from here. Don't touch it but I really think that things got plenty of meat on the bone regarding "condition".

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the quick ID! I never would have guessed that it was a coin from 1785! I was thinking maybe it was a decorative piece mounted to something, due to the grooves on the back.

I won't mess with it any more, but it is flaking a little on the edges now that it's dry. My luck to find a rare coin and it's toasted. Still a great find, though.

That’s no toast my man! And when it’s that scarce and it has detail it’s a grand slam!

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
doesn't look toasted to me...a coinshooters find of a lifetime....you dug it...

'

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Deep in the woods today near the spot where I found a Rev War era stirrup. Got a low 70's signal 6 inches down and thought I had dug a flat button. Wiped it off and noticed that one side had grooves on it instead of a shank. Then I turned it over and saw a USA logo on it! Looks similar to the Rev War button logo, but not quite the same. It's 1" in diameter and appears to be brass.

Did some research online, but I drew a blank. No idea what this is or how old. Hoping it's Rev War, but it could be later than that. What the heck did I find?

View attachment 1562796 View attachment 1562798 View attachment 1562799 View attachment 1562800
Amazing find big congrats [emoji106]

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding find, congratulations! :notworthy:

IMHO: Do not clean it! If authentic you have a very valuable find!

Thought I should add, I was reading about that very coin today in a coin book...great find!

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
bar_cent_obv.jpg

bar_cent_rev.jpg

BAR "CENT"
PCGS No: 599
Rarity: Scarce
Mintage: Unknown
Designer: Unknown
Diameter: ±24.5 millimeters, rare exceptions are known on large, oval planchets
Metal content:
Copper - 100%

Weight: ±84 grains (5.44 grams)
Edge: Plain
Mintmark: None
Images courtesy of Ron GuthVarieties:
Normal Planchet
Broad Planchet
Overstruck on an India (Bengali Presidency / Prinsep Coinage) 1/2 Anna
Notes:
The Bar "Cents" first appeared in the American Colonies in 1785, when they joined the mix of motley coppers then in circulation. Their weight was too low to be valued at a Cent, but the name has stuck through use and tradition (in fact, the weight is almost identical to the U.S. Half Cents of 1795 and later years). The obverse copies the U.S.A. monogram seen on pewter buttons worn on the uniforms of Continental soldiers. The reverse consists of thirteen parallel bars, signifying the original 13 Colonies. Their simple, patriotic design makes them a favorite with collectors, although they are rather scarce and expensive.
Bar "Cents" were made in England, possibly at Wyon's mint in Birmingham (more famous for their Nova Constellatio Coppers). Various forgeries exist, ranging in quality from crude casts to excellent struck copies and electrotypes. All genuine examples have a small, thorn-like projection on the far right side of the bottom edge of the second bar from the top (this defect is seen clearly on the illustration above). Electrotypes will also show this projection, so authentication is mandatory.Breen lists two specimens that are known on larger, oval planchets and speculates that they might have been "...some kind of special presentation or souvenir striking", but this is unlikely. Until the weights of these two unusual examples is ascertained, we can only speculate that they are normal strikes on misshapen blanks.The finest Bar "Cent" certified by PCGS is a single MS-66 Brown.Significant examples:
PCGS MS-66 Brown. Offered at the 2002 New York American Numismatic Association convention by RAAB coins for $36,000.00
Recent appearances:
PCGS AU-58. Ex - Paul Arthur Norris (puchased privately) - Ira & Larry Goldberg Coins & Collectibles, Inc.'s "Pre-Long Beach Sale", September 23 & 24, 2002, Lot 80, illustrated, where it was described as follows: "PCGS graded AU-58. Nearly perfect surfaces on this one, a medium light brown color and no signs of abuse. There are a couple of very light specks on the reverse between the bars. Boldly struck and well centered, and truly an American classic in every sense of the word. The diagnostics of the A over the S are clear, as is the small spur on the right end of the second bar, which confirm this to be one of the originals. The first bar coppers were reported in the New Jersey Gazette, November 12, 1785 which is likely near time of their release.
Charles Bushnell attributes this issue to the famous George Wyon III and his Birmingham Mint. The coins were likely ordered by an American merchant, perhaps using a soldiers button for the simple, but endearing design. These coppers were struck at a lighter standard than the usual 60 to the pound, but they likely passed at 14 to the shilling, nowhere near the "cent" value long attributed to these because of their similarity in size to later large cents. Most of the survivors grade from Fine to Very Fine, and rarely are these encountered in grades even approaching mint state."
"AU-50" (illustrated above). Ex - H. Cuddy, sold in October 1970 - Dr. Robert J. Hinckley - Bowers and Merena "The Collections of Phillip Flanagan, Dr. Robert Hinckley...", November 29-December 1, 2001, Lot 2423, illustrated, "...85.0 grains. Diameter: 24.8 mm. A die crack connects the two central-most bars at their centers...", sold for $5,520.00"EF-45, cleaned and retoned". Ex - Superior Stamp & Coin's "The ANA 2000 National Money Show Auction", March 2-3, 2000, Lot 30, "Breen 1145"[SIZE=-1]Sources and/or recommended reading:
"Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia Of U.S. And Colonial Coins" by Walter Breen
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"The PCGS Population Report, April 2002" by The Professional Coin Grading Service[/SIZE]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions