1840's New York Militia Officer's Sword Belt Plate!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to the never-ending snowstorms (next one expected tomorrow) all of the sites I want to hunt this spring are under 24" of snow and I expected not to be able to hunt at all this past weekend. Instead I visited people in central New York about 3 hours west of me and shockingly they had barely any snow on the ground. Luckily for me they're interested in history too and after looking through the local Beers maps I found four potential cellar holes in some nearby public land. I was sure they had been pounded since they were close to paths and easily located, but my friends were interested to see what I would find so we went to one for about an hour.

Sure enough it had definitely been hunted, but this was one of those rare times where all of the underbrush was flat and in late spring/early summer most of the site would be impossible to swing around. I focused around bushes and in bramble thickets that would usually be impossible to swing through. After digging a staggering number of shotgun shells and rifle cartridges I finally got a high tone and was hoping was at least a barber quarter.

I never expected this to be in the hole!

20180311_115928.jpg 20180311_115933.jpg

It's slightly bent, but it doesn't look like my shovel did it so thank the stars for that. I gently rinsed the heavier mud and wet wrapped it for later preservation. After some very careful q-tip work the detail, and a little of the silver wash, came out and it's simply spectacular

20180311_211515.jpg DSC04871.JPG

The "excelsior" on the banner above the eagle narrowed my search and I was able to find a match in the Ridgeway reference library. Apparently it's an 1840's to early 1850's sword belt buckle used by New York Militia officers. I found very few photos of other examples on google so it doesn't look like they turn up often and I'm very grateful to have found one!

Other than that the site was pretty standard. One coin, a 1909 V nickle in fair shape:

DSC04869.JPG DSC04870.JPG

A few decorative pieces included a brass brooch with a single paste stone left:

DSC04872.JPG DSC04873.JPG

Besides that, there were just a few other assorted home site bits including a monster axe head.

This really is my favorite season to hunt. With all the sites that are normally locked up by brush open and clear there's no limit to what can pop out of the ground. I wish we didn't have another snow storm coming for this area, but as soon as it melts I'll be back in the woods!

DSC04868.JPG

Upvote 39

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
paleomaxx, I would have been happy with the V nickel, but the belt plate? WOW. Out of curiosity, what detector were you using, and sound any numbers?

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Paleomaxx, Congrat's to you on the find of the officers sword plate. Beautiful, simply beautiful. That is a Bucket List find for any relic hunter. That is really going to look nice in your collection. I'm still looking for my Eagle Breast Plate. I still haven't come across it yet.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of curiosity, what detector were you using, and sound any numbers?

I was using my XP Deus and the signal was a consistent 93-94 at 6 inches. Large cents usually ring up 95-96 so I was fairly sure I was digging after a quarter. You just never know! :laughing7:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great condition the plate is in, congrats on the recovery. Are you going to straighten it or leave it as it is?
Yup it's looking pretty wintery out there again.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great condition the plate is in, congrats on the recovery. Are you going to straighten it or leave it as it is?
Yup it's looking pretty wintery out there again.

Thank you! I definitely wouldn't want to straighten it myself. The other plate I dug in January is also bent and I'm considering sending one or both for restoration. My only concern is both were silver washed and have varying amounts of the silver left which really brings out the detail. I would hate to loose some of that in whatever process they use to anneal and bend the brass. Has anyone had any experiences with silver washed brass being restored?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions