1840's New York Militia Officer's Sword Belt Plate!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to the never-ending snowstorms (next one expected tomorrow) all of the sites I want to hunt this spring are under 24" of snow and I expected not to be able to hunt at all this past weekend. Instead I visited people in central New York about 3 hours west of me and shockingly they had barely any snow on the ground. Luckily for me they're interested in history too and after looking through the local Beers maps I found four potential cellar holes in some nearby public land. I was sure they had been pounded since they were close to paths and easily located, but my friends were interested to see what I would find so we went to one for about an hour.

Sure enough it had definitely been hunted, but this was one of those rare times where all of the underbrush was flat and in late spring/early summer most of the site would be impossible to swing around. I focused around bushes and in bramble thickets that would usually be impossible to swing through. After digging a staggering number of shotgun shells and rifle cartridges I finally got a high tone and was hoping was at least a barber quarter.

I never expected this to be in the hole!

20180311_115928.jpg 20180311_115933.jpg

It's slightly bent, but it doesn't look like my shovel did it so thank the stars for that. I gently rinsed the heavier mud and wet wrapped it for later preservation. After some very careful q-tip work the detail, and a little of the silver wash, came out and it's simply spectacular

20180311_211515.jpg DSC04871.JPG

The "excelsior" on the banner above the eagle narrowed my search and I was able to find a match in the Ridgeway reference library. Apparently it's an 1840's to early 1850's sword belt buckle used by New York Militia officers. I found very few photos of other examples on google so it doesn't look like they turn up often and I'm very grateful to have found one!

Other than that the site was pretty standard. One coin, a 1909 V nickle in fair shape:

DSC04869.JPG DSC04870.JPG

A few decorative pieces included a brass brooch with a single paste stone left:

DSC04872.JPG DSC04873.JPG

Besides that, there were just a few other assorted home site bits including a monster axe head.

This really is my favorite season to hunt. With all the sites that are normally locked up by brush open and clear there's no limit to what can pop out of the ground. I wish we didn't have another snow storm coming for this area, but as soon as it melts I'll be back in the woods!

DSC04868.JPG

Upvote 39

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Hunt!!! Congrats on the Belt Plate!:occasion14:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Paleomaxx
Very nice N.Y. Plate! You had a good hunt .
I found the same Plate last fall.
Made before Civil War,widely used in the War though... very nice example !
Darn plows
BangHead.gif

Gary
Picture 260.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That plate is an amazing find in amazing condition. You get a big atta boy for that one.

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a handsome relic. The bends do not bother me a bit.

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a gorgeous belt plate. Congratulations on that piece of history!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s fantastic man! Great looking plate. Congrats

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome plate ! :occasion14:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very smart move hunting the laid down bramble
Superb find
Congrats

Bonzododa71

May 31, 2017
Canada
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah!! that's a nice buckle, suggest a small shadow box and a nice spot on a wall where everyone can see it....HH....Bonz

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of sweet plates being found lately...and your's is definitely sweet! Congrats on that amazing recovery!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread