🥇 BANNER My Holy Grail....A Confederate Belt Plate!!

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
A very sub-par detecting day turned spectacular in a matter of seconds on Saturday afternoon when I dug a screaming "82" on my F-75. My hunt was into the eighth hour and I had only scored a couple of small pieces of lead. My hunting buddy hadn't done much better so we decided to move to another part of the property. While exiting the field I continued detecting and after just a few steps the detector stopped me in my tracks with the "82". I dug a large plug and lifted out the target. I was confused at the small clump of dirt with 3 little prongs sticking out. I liked the shape and a little green began to show through.....I quickly flipped it over and started gently wiping away the dirt. I was so hoping to see "CSA" looking back but I saw nothing. I flipped it back over to inspect the prongs and now I'm convinced it's a belt plate of some kind. I flip back to the front and got a little more aggressive in rubbing...then a huge "C" appears and is quickly followed by an "S".
I have never been so excited while detecting (maybe ever). I think in part because I was very tired and had dug trash all day... and also because finding a CS buckle had always been just a dream.--JB

Attachments

• IMG_3164.PNG
    IMG_3164.PNG
    4.4 MB · Views: 738
  • IMG_3162.PNG
    IMG_3162.PNG
    4.8 MB · Views: 464
  • IMG_3161.PNG
    IMG_3161.PNG
    4 MB · Views: 390
Upvote 152

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unreal. I've got to move South. Congratulations on your find, you must be absolutely stoked.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a stunning example of civil war relic hunting greatness! Huge congratulations on living your DREAM! I have had a few occasions were I reckon I experienced your level of excitement on an amazing recovery. There's NO WAY you can explain it to another person. You can ONLY experience it for yourself. So glad you got to feel the moment LIVE and create a lasting memory for the rest of your days. Amazing.:headbang::hello2::icon_salut:

Last edited:

sataro

Jan 16, 2013
Corsicana, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 | Nokta Simplex+ | Tesoro Mohave | Quest Xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a dream find of a lifetime!!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Likes a comin'! Magnificent find. I like the part where you were getting ready to leave. Sometimes the best stuff is at the edges of the properties and roads, where we park our cars even! Banner all the way. That's a Western Theater plate. Yours is in great shape.

I'm just scrolling down the comments .

Western Theater was my first thought when I saw the 'Banner' as well.

I guessed W-TN or MS. Boy was I wrong.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go !

Man JBnNC.
That's a true 'Stunner' of a find.

It's always cool when a T- net member finds such a Great relic but even better when one of yr Friends , Bro's finds such an item .

Let me say , if it were to close to home some would get that "How the Heck did I miss that " Effect.

Like Smokey I was thinking "Western Theater " but NC is West enough ; I love that style of Plate & has the hook's :headbang:.

These days Plates esp, CSA types are not even on my mind when hunting, I figure like yours One will pop -up unexpectedly.

Here's to Ya :occasion14: ; & this Find could not have happen for a Nicer Guy, ....'Well one of a Half dozen or more. '

Thanks for your advice in my Adventures as well , I'm up to about 11 Minnies for that particular area.

OP
OP
JBnNC

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a stunning example of civil war relic hunting greatness! Huge congratulations on living your DREAM! I have had a few occasions were I reckon I experienced your level of excitement on an amazing recovery. There's NO WAY you can explain it to another person. You can ONLY experience it for yourself. So glad you got to feel the moment LIVE and create a lasting memory for the rest of your days. Amazing.:headbang::hello2::icon_salut:
Thanks Kurios, it is hard to describe....you put yourself in the right spot and you spend hour upon hour and day upon day knowing that it could happen(see it on T-Net all the time)....and then it happens when you least expect it....

OP
OP
JBnNC

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Man JBnNC.

It's always cool when a T- net member finds such a Great relic but even better when one of yr Friends , Bro's finds such an item .

Let me say , if it were to close to home some would get that "How the Heck did I miss that " Effect.

Like Smokey I was thinking "Western Theater " but NC is West enough ; I love that style of Plate & has the hook's :headbang:.

These days Plates esp, CSA types are not even on my mind when hunting, I figure like yours One will pop -up unexpectedly.

Here's to Ya :occasion14: ; & this Find could not have happen for a Nicer Guy, ....'Well one of a Half dozen or more. '

Thanks for your advice in my Adventures as well , I'm up to about 11 Minnies for that particular area.

Thanks Davers, it was great to find that buckle in NC...totally not expecting it.....but forever thankful for it.

You are very welcome for the info, I'm just glad you're finding Civil War stuff there. That scouting report was 75 yrs. old....I hope you dig something great there!
--JB

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man JBnNC.

Most of the remnants of The Army of Tennessee ended up in N.C. at the end of the war. They were devastated at Franklin Tn., then all but finished off at Nashville. What all was left of them were shipped to N.C. and most surrendered at Greensboro.

My 2nd great grandfather was one of them. He was shot in the jaw at Peach Tree Creek in the battle(s) of Atlanta. When the army moved west to stage for the invasion of Tennessee, he was rounded up with all other mobile wounded that were still able to fight, and put back to work. His father (my 3rd great grandfather) was killed in the battle of Franklin. That was the 29th Alabama Volunteer Infantry. He survived the war, and lived a long life and married the widow of a fellow soldier from his company. Some of my other great grandfathers and great uncles were in The Army of Tennessee from various other units including the "shock troops" of the Army of Tennessee...the 33rd Alabama under General Cleburne.

Needless to say...that killer plate has been through a lot to make it there...If it could only talk!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whoa. Just WHOA. And the CONDITION. What a beauty.

OP
OP
JBnNC

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of the remnants of The Army of Tennessee ended up in N.C. at the end of the war. They were devastated at Franklin Tn., then all but finished off at Nashville. What all was left of them were shipped to N.C. and most surrendered at Greensboro.

My 2nd great grandfather was one of them. He was shot in the jaw at Peach Tree Creek in the battle(s) of Atlanta. When the army moved west to stage for the invasion of Tennessee, he was rounded up with all other mobile wounded that were still able to fight, and put back to work. His father (my 3rd great grandfather) was killed in the battle of Franklin. That was the 29th Alabama Volunteer Infantry. He survived the war, and lived a long life and married the widow of a fellow soldier from his company. Some of my other great grandfathers and great uncles were in The Army of Tennessee from various other units including the "shock troops" of the Army of Tennessee...the 33rd Alabama under General Cleburne.

Needless to say...that killer plate has been through a lot to make it there...If it could only talk!
Yes , I would love to know what it's been through, just a 60 sec. video clip ........also sounds like you have some awesome family history.....great job on your research.--JB

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cheers and Banner.

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, GPX 4500, and another Nox 800 for my friends...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an inspiring find. I'm going to remember how you kept going and found your best ever find after not finding anything decent all day. There are times I'm on a property and if finds don't come soon enough it's off to the next place. Thanks for sharing - spectacular find.
Saftgeek-

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not in any way to take away from your find but it was almost two years to the day that I dug the same type CS buckle that you did only mine was not in as great shape as yours with all three spun hooks intact. The color of yours is amazing too,can still see some of the black finish through that beautiful green. Congrats on a spectacular find!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions