Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost means not quite there. I went with another tnetter to a very ancient site in Maryland. For miles approaching the site, the place reeks of age. And no, it doesn't actually smell bad. I included a pic from a couple miles away, the trees are ancient, and the roadway is elevated, reminding me of the plantation in the deep south I visited once upon a time ago. We hunted three fields for just over 4 hours. My first target in the first field was a grapeshot. This is the second one I dug. Over the next few hours you'd get into a hot spot, then out of it, then back in, and on and on. The first picture is part of the old road. View attachment IMG_0799.jpg Then the relics. First a leg, shown upside down to a large cast iron 18th century pot. I found two of these plus several other pieces of the pot. View attachment IMG_0806.jpg The second grapeshot. View attachment IMG_0807.jpg A piece of 18th century slipware and a piece of brass horse tack. View attachment IMG_0808.jpg Then I came up with two pieces to broken pewter spoons. View attachment IMG_0809.jpg Seven colonial buttons, the one on the far left is most likely a cufflink and is made of silver. View attachment IMG_0810.jpg Musket balls, the black "thing" on the right side is a rock, I just liked it and there are no other rocks like it in the area, it had to have been carried there by someone, colonial buckshot with the casting seams, bits and bobs of cast lead. View attachment IMG_0812.jpg And finally two small bale seals, probably for cloth, and a Spanish maravedis coin of some sort. I had to do some serious cleaning on the maravedis to get the detail off of it. I used the Andre's pencils. I had a great time. I also had a hard time getting out of the truck last night. The other guys got similar finds, and one got a 4 pound solid shot. One King George III copper was found. The site has been cherry picked in the past. View attachment IMG_0813.jpg And before I forget, shoe buckle pieces and misc. pieces of brass. The Deus sucked these out of the ground at depth and with a ton of iron, large and small everywhere. View attachment IMG_0811.jpg

Upvote 29

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC thanks for the link. Those little guys are pricey!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YAWN yet another smokey epic hunt where she finds more in a day than I have in a lifetime..........Seriously congrats on the hard earned relics!! I keep swinging to have hunts like you have had!!!:occasion14:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blk hole, the physical mileage is racking up pretty fast. The other guys got almost as much. The one with the White's V3I did very well with the 4 lb. cannon ball and the bud with the Minelab sovereign held his own also. It wasn't just me. You'll notice most all of the targets were very small. Very small. And deep. Soil was mild reading a 60 on the Deus. Lots of sandy and oyster shells were in it. The digs were quick and clean. No roots or big rocks to contend with.

Yawn?? Actually, a lot of places in my area no one knows about, or people think they have been hammered in the past. In the 40 years I've lived up here I have only seen one person EVER out with a detector. So when we find a spot with old stuff, it s yee hah! time.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the fine relic hunt!

Cool bale seals and Spanish coin.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
we have a lot in common, I almost find gold coins every time I detect

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Jeff, neither of us do that! Nap time again!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I have three i have found now. One is nearly unreadable the other two are decent. All three were found in Maryland.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every piece of colonial history is COOL in frags or complete. Thanks for sharing some more cool old relic treasures Smokey. Always love that you tag team with other T-netters as well. Such a joy to share in the hunt.:headbang:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do like to team up with other Tnetters. All have been fine folks.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest: