Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost means not quite there. I went with another tnetter to a very ancient site in Maryland. For miles approaching the site, the place reeks of age. And no, it doesn't actually smell bad. I included a pic from a couple miles away, the trees are ancient, and the roadway is elevated, reminding me of the plantation in the deep south I visited once upon a time ago. We hunted three fields for just over 4 hours. My first target in the first field was a grapeshot. This is the second one I dug. Over the next few hours you'd get into a hot spot, then out of it, then back in, and on and on. The first picture is part of the old road. View attachment IMG_0799.jpg Then the relics. First a leg, shown upside down to a large cast iron 18th century pot. I found two of these plus several other pieces of the pot. View attachment IMG_0806.jpg The second grapeshot. View attachment IMG_0807.jpg A piece of 18th century slipware and a piece of brass horse tack. View attachment IMG_0808.jpg Then I came up with two pieces to broken pewter spoons. View attachment IMG_0809.jpg Seven colonial buttons, the one on the far left is most likely a cufflink and is made of silver. View attachment IMG_0810.jpg Musket balls, the black "thing" on the right side is a rock, I just liked it and there are no other rocks like it in the area, it had to have been carried there by someone, colonial buckshot with the casting seams, bits and bobs of cast lead. View attachment IMG_0812.jpg And finally two small bale seals, probably for cloth, and a Spanish maravedis coin of some sort. I had to do some serious cleaning on the maravedis to get the detail off of it. I used the Andre's pencils. I had a great time. I also had a hard time getting out of the truck last night. The other guys got similar finds, and one got a 4 pound solid shot. One King George III copper was found. The site has been cherry picked in the past. View attachment IMG_0813.jpg And before I forget, shoe buckle pieces and misc. pieces of brass. The Deus sucked these out of the ground at depth and with a ton of iron, large and small everywhere. View attachment IMG_0811.jpg

Upvote 29
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like they say on the "Detectorists" show - bits and bobs. But it sure beats the skunk days I've had in the past. All will display well.`

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Smokey you're getting quite a collection of finds. Next year you're going to have to move into a larger home!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pencils are great. I haven't ruined a coin yet with them. All the liquids I've ever used don't give half as good a result as the pencils. They are a sponsor on this site. A friend turned me onto them.

And no, these are small relics, I'll never move.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
t_o.gif
Cooool finds SmokeyTheCat. Thanks for sharing...

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice finds, smokey!

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice post and some really nice finds:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
`Thank you all. I recovered about 60 items in total. The rest unpictured are bigger items. Mostly the pieces of the iron kettle. The grass was already tall enough in the one grassy field we found very little there as we couldn't get the loop closer to 6" from the ground! Spring is about here.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any way for a reverse shot of that coin ?

I wanna see something.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC, is there a book out there that I can purchase to help date the maravedis? I have the one on the silvers. I have found several now this year and last year. This site was first settled about this time, so I suppose finding these not impossible. I thought it was junk at first.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
More great finds
Excellent hunt

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pencils are great. I haven't ruined a coin yet with them. All the liquids I've ever used don't give half as good a result as the pencils. They are a sponsor on this site. A friend turned me onto them.

And no, these are small relics, I'll never move.

Hmmm...I have wondered about those pencils, since you feel that they are pretty good, perhaps I should have them on hand and give them a try.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sprailroad, I had an encrusted early US half cent. I sent it to a professional grader to be restored/conserved. They took my money, called it a loss and sent it back untouched, not surprised, but disappointed. I figured I might as well give it a shot, used the pencils and got the type (draped bust and 180- off it. I like them. I never thought mechanical cleaning would be the way to go.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes, I just love going to a place I know is old and still looks pretty much like it did way back when. Its why I go walking around "my" mansion from time to time.....still! :)

When I'm there and I stop to look around, it's transforming and transfixing!

Thanks for sharing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions