Lost Gold (or???) BUT...

Overseas

Jun 28, 2016
Europe
Detector(s) used
Deephunter by Makro
Primary Interest:
Other
So I went back to scoop up the yellow shiny stuff I seen frozen in the ice...unfortunately it was deep below the water now.

I took out my pinpointer and it went crazy. Definititely a sizeable target.

I took out my digger like an idiot instead of waiting for the the water level to go back down after the thaw melt. I pulled up my first scoop and nothing. I stuck it in another time and watched a big shiny yellow object get immediately flushed away by gushing water.

I panicked and never found the yellow again, but my pointer was still signalling on a rock. I pulled it out from under the water and wow was it rusted.

Again, like a fool I started to brush it off wet without doing a magnetic test first.

After checking it out at home with a magnet, 10X magnifying glass, and a 30X I learned a lot.

1. Magnetic; holds magnet; different polar areas.
2. Heavy
3. Not round
4. Stony-iron appearance
5. Shiny nickel specs appearances all over
6. Looks like peridot (or glass) is embedded
7. Possibly silicate is embedded, but that could have been from getting trapped by water.
8. No holes
9. Appearance of high heat crusting it before rusting
10. I believe the black rock just got rusted into place as sediment and is not magnetite.

Attachments

• 20180313_144302.jpg
    20180313_144302.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 157
  • 20180313_213431.jpg
    20180313_213431.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Upvote 6

glenn37216

Apr 8, 2012
Hendersonville , TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, FISHER F75 Limited Edition, Teknetics EuroTek Pro, Garrett Ace150, 250,400i, Minelabs E-trac, Minelabs Equinox 600, Whites 6000D, DFX Pro,Bounty Hunter All -out of text space.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heh, strange properties ! Could it be a meteorite? ....

OP
OP
O

Overseas

Jun 28, 2016
Europe
Detector(s) used
Deephunter by Makro
Primary Interest:
Other
Make that 100% sure the black rectangle was sediment. It just fell off...lol

OP
OP
O

Overseas

Jun 28, 2016
Europe
Detector(s) used
Deephunter by Makro
Primary Interest:
Other
Heh, strange properties ! Could it be a meteorite? ....

Experts confirmed today the bad news. It was basically just iron, hematite, green quartz, and no crust after looking at it.

At least I can polish it up now without worries. Pictures will follow.

OP
OP
O

Overseas

Jun 28, 2016
Europe
Detector(s) used
Deephunter by Makro
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok I am back to not knowing what this rock is because EVERYTHING THE EXPERT SAID WAS WRONG after cleaning the rock up.

The shiny metallic color is not polished.

The olivine or whatever it was is also gone.

Definitely no quartz either.

I cut the rock in half with a Dremel, since I was told it was not meteorite. Took me a couple of hours and several cuts.

I thought maybe nickel, but really that is a lot!!!

I believe the magnetic metal will lose its shine.

I am attaching the picture of the cutaway view...thoughts?

Attachments

• 20180315_211217.jpg
    20180315_211217.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 121
Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like meteorite to me.

Definitely go back... looks very rare if it is.

$ $ $

OP
OP
O

Overseas

Jun 28, 2016
Europe
Detector(s) used
Deephunter by Makro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like meteorite to me.

Definitely go back... looks very rare if it is.

$ $ $

Yeah my fear is I massacred a rare meteorite after bad advice from a professional expert.

I am working my way down the Mohs hardness scale. It is hard, but less than 7.

suntannedgem

Jan 29, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Pro with 9.5", 12" & Super Sniper coils, Garrett Treasure Hound Deep Depth Multiplier, Garrett Pin Pointer Pro II, Bounty Hunter Legacy 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thoughts....what was the hurry? I mean this in the sweetest and kindest way....you hacked the "S**t out of it. I think I would of just cut the smallest of section off to expose a surface and provide a sample for testing. Geology is a science that spans Billions of years and what "Gifts" we get from it should be treated with respect. A meteorite or what ever it WAS is not a "Cracker Jack Prize" and your post are full of "I thought, I believed, I cut......How about "I waited"? And finally experts are a dime a dozen, scientist pay to be.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
My thoughts....what was the hurry? I mean this in the sweetest and kindest way....you hacked the "S**t out of it. I think I would of just cut the smallest of section off to expose a surface and provide a sample for testing. Geology is a science that spans Billions of years and what "Gifts" we get from it should be treated with respect. A meteorite or what ever it WAS is not a "Cracker Jack Prize" and your post are full of "I thought, I believed, I cut......How about "I waited"? And finally experts are a dime a dozen, scientist pay to be.

I definitely think that the OP probably should have waited for some other professional opinions before cutting it in half. I do admit though that we all learn somewhere, even those expert geologists probably made similar mistakes back when they started. Almost everyone here has probably trashed a nice find when they were first learning. I can certainly understand how someone would get impatient guessing what the stone looked like inside. Considering that the stone is already "ruined" right now by the experts' standards, I would maybe look into seeing if you could get someone to carefully make the cut side of one of those halves smooth and polished, something like that would probably look very nice on a shelf. Don't take my word on anything geology related though, my knowledge on the subject only comes from the brief time I spent rock collecting when I was 10.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Overseas

Jun 28, 2016
Europe
Detector(s) used
Deephunter by Makro
Primary Interest:
Other
I appreciate the honest comment.

No, actually it was one of a few scientists that works these things everyday and not some pseudo-expert.

Once I was told it was common in the area and had no scientific value was when I tried to cut just the tip off.

Some unexpected things happened, and I did learn from it.

Really, my point in all this is to share with the TN community that experts (or scientists in this case) are human and make mistakes, so handle our "gifts" like the scientists are wrong and cherish them accordingly until we feel differently.
//The end//

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all is lost,,
I certainly learned something from this post.
I'm sure that if it really is a meteorite, there is still enough to salvage.
Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread