Suicide keys in the soccer park, with a miracle found!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
What a day! One hundred and fifty six coins today! Got an early start at the soccer complex this morning when the grass was still wet with dew and the sun was just a red rubber ball on the morning horizon. It was a bit cool out but very quiet save for a neighborhood dog yapping about a block away. I started off near the parking lot next to the concession stand/restroom building.. finding pennies and dimes right off the bat. And pull tabs.. always with the pull tabs! Oh well, I dig'em, I keep'em.
I found a few quarters and a few nickles as well, LOTS AND LOTS Of pennies. No old coins today though. A lot of dissolving pennies though.. I've not tried to cash in any of these "cancer pennies" yet so I wonder if the bank will still take them. It's amazing, you can almost tell the date of the pennies when up pluck them out of the ground.. if they're not dissolving they're either brand new (on the surface) or they're pre '80s 1980's that is.
Too bad can slaw and pull tabs don't dissolve like that, why in a few years we could see an end to them.. slaw and pull tabs that is.. But NOOOOOO.. they're indestructible!
I found a blast from the past while digging up all those cancerous pennies.. a Suicide Key! I'm sure some of you "old timers" are familiar with them.. they used to come attached to cans.. like Spam, sardines, potted meat, deviled ham etc etc. you pulled the little slotted key from the tin and inserted a small tab on the can into the slot and turned the key to open the can. Too many times people would get in a hurry or not pay attention and end up cutting themselves on the razor sharp metal ribbon that the key was winding up. OUCH!.. hence the name.. Suicide Key!. I for one am not sorry to see them gone .. <smile>

September2nd 005.jpg

I found pens, pencils, pins and wires. Man I HATE those wire bread ties!.. once they've been in the grass a while they look like the grass.. but the metal detector cries out "PENNY! PENNY! PENNY!" .. the Bullseye says "IT'S THERE! IT'S THERE!" but all you see is an empty hole and grass. <rolling eyes> ARRRRGH! <laughing>
I found another bit of wire too.. silver wire. I'm thinking it was formerly an earring with some little bangle or something on it. <shrug>
In the middle of one of the soccer pitches I found a big ol' token.. thought it was a fifty cent piece at first.. till I brushed the dirt off a bit. It's a commemorative coin/token for a soccer "classic" .. imagine that.. on a soccer field? Go Figure! <laughing> Along with that token I found yet another coin/token.. a little smaller but oh thank goodness.. a MIRACLE at last! I've been saved, at least figuratively speaking. Saved me from the suicide key perhaps. <shrug> In the parking lot (edge) in the grass I found another soccer bling.. a pin from another soccer classic (playoff or something) here are all three ..

September2nd 003.jpg

September2nd 004.jpg

Batteries (one this trip) bolt anchors (half of one) electrical outlet covers, buttons, an old style metal cleat (screw in type), a small fuse, some washers and a nut, and some hair flare.. (clasps).. one rabbit and one berries or flowers or something <shrug>.. oh yeah.. and two dog tags..(one a rabies tag and one a ornamental "human" type) and a nail in some sort of manufacturer's name tag, I'm guessing on some sort of shed or siding or something. looked like a quarter target on my detector.

Oh did I mention coins?.. 156 !!!! I got tired of digging so many pennies and pull tabs after about two hours.. I can't imagine how many I would have had if I'd kept digging everything I targeted! Oh well.. just another trip to the soccer complex to get stuff I missed this trip. <Smile> $10.08 in clad for the day, not bad at all! I'll take them numbers anytime.

Get out there and hunt! Happy Hunting all!

Frodov

Attachments

• September2nd 001.jpg
    September2nd 001.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 1,056
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still use those keys on the SPAM over here.

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
Looks like you had a heck of a day! Congrats! lol.....and I'd devoured more than one can of spam in my younger days via that key ;D I still like it, though now I just pop-a-top ;)

Smitty

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Good job on the soccer field. Keep em coming!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice mess of coins, Frodov! Looks like a lot of digging. I dislike the twist ties, too. Good day!

HH

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Way to dig em Frodo! I'll take 10 bucks in clad any day. I found one of those keys a while ago, it still had the metal on it from the can...about two inches wide. Unrolled it to see if I could tell what kind of can it was, but it was too old. Keep up the good work & the good stories.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assorment of clad!! Your doing a good thing clearing out all that trash. Just think how much easier it will be the next time out!

diggitdoggie

Sep 26, 2006
Ohio
That's a whole lot of digging Fro! :)
Great post and got to be a good sign when you find a Miracle.
Yep, I remember those keys..hated them!

DD

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Cool...been busy!!!Never though I would see one of them can opener twisty thing from back in the 70s. :)
RD

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Frodov,

You have the stamina guy. I have been having a little problem with motivation lately. The beaches are not turning up anything. The parks are not spilling around here either. I feel that to really go after some good stuff at the parks, I need to loose the ACE 250 and pick up something that does a little better on the ID. I seem to get TONS of false readings. Then there are some that seem good and after digging down about 6 inches, it's gone. With the PI, I know that usually means that the target has fallen down to the bottom of the hole out of range, but I just seem to loose the target altogether with the ACE.

Using the PI at the parks is just too much. I'm need to trade the ACE up for a DFX or something that folks seem to deem more reliable.

Jack

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you did alot of digging frodov ! and it paid off , congrats ;)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I am worn out right now...needed a few off...but your pic gave me a pick me up... Great day! :)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
JackInFlorida said:
Great finds Frodov,

You have the stamina guy. I have been having a little problem with motivation lately. The beaches are not turning up anything. The parks are not spilling around here either. I feel that to really go after some good stuff at the parks, I need to loose the ACE 250 and pick up something that does a little better on the ID. I seem to get TONS of false readings. Then there are some that seem good and after digging down about 6 inches, it's gone. With the PI, I know that usually means that the target has fallen down to the bottom of the hole out of range, but I just seem to loose the target altogether with the ACE.

Using the PI at the parks is just too much. I'm need to trade the ACE up for a DFX or something that folks seem to deem more reliable.

Jack

The id and pinpointing is dead on with the dfx... :) ;)

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
ID and pinpointing of various machines is important, as is the relative skill of their operators.. <blushing> Now I don't claim to be highly skilled at anything just yet, but I think I'm learning my machine each time I get a target and go to dig for it. I've done the "pinpointing" in all metal mode, I've done the "Exing" swing, and I've tried the "box" method. All work fairly well, but they still only get you in the "ball park" so to speak.. at least that's my experience so far. I tell ya, if not for my Bullseye II, I'd not find probably a full third of the targets I pick up with my detector. I don't know how so many of you old timers made it without such handy little gadgets like this. <smile> But.. SHHHHHHHH.. let's keep it a secret.. if word gets out that it's so easy with the Bullseye.. EVERYONE will be out metal detecting! <grin>

Hey.. I've got to give credit where credit is due.

Frodov

HH all

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
JackInFlorida said:
I need to loose the ACE 250 and pick up something that does a little better on the ID. I seem to get TONS of false readings. Then there are some that seem good and after digging down about 6 inches, it's gone.
Jack

Let me once again start by saying a newbie ;) ( just offering my observations) and with that out of the way, I wanted to say I've noticed the same thing. What I've also noticed is that a coin most times will give a solid repeating signal BOTH ways on the swing, as well as the "cross" swing. Most times I get a coin signal, but it only goes 1-way or partially "flattens-out", it's usually part of an aluminum can. That said, I have found a few pennies on this signal.

I had also dug a couple holes today that things just seemed to disapear on me ??? Got no idea there, but I put the loose dirt on a 12"X12" piece of tarp, and checked around the hole to make sure a coin (or whatever) had flipped or rolled away. Dig hole....lose signal??

Smitty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread