Hunt for lost Gold Rings nets lots of trash and first button and possibly a meteorite

suntannedgem

Jan 29, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Pro with 9.5", 12" & Super Sniper coils, Garrett Treasure Hound Deep Depth Multiplier, Garrett Pin Pointer Pro II, Bounty Hunter Legacy 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father who is 89 has probably the most complete and largest private Lapidary Lab in the Southeast United States. The poor guy has been declining mentally and physically for a couple of years, but still manages to crank out a slew of beautiful jewelry for all members of the family, long time friends and anyone else that crosses his path. He does beautiful precise work. On two occasions he has left his lab to show works in progress that were gold. He lost two rings on two different occasions as he went to the house from his lab about 100'. He has charged me with trying to find them if I can. Today was the first day at that attempt.

The path from his studio to the house passes two ways: First out his studio door and into the enclosed pool area and up the 6' foot wide deck by the 60' lap pool and onto the lanai into the house. The second out his studio door up the 2 foot wide concrete 12"x 12" block path. The path is separated from the pool enclosure by a 18" wide calcium pea gravel planter 70' long to the enclosure door. This planter was full of ancient palms that were removed about 6 months ago and replaced with the pea gravel. I suspect that the rings ended up in these palms or in the earth under the pea rock.

I spent 7 hours today MDing the site. The patio had been cleaned and acid washed by me 2 years ago and I never saw any jewelry. So I tried the planter area between the pool enclosure and the outside path. My Garrett GTI 2500 picked up the aluminum cage and over rode the entire planter and most of the 24" path. I went off of All Metal Mode and that did not help. So I went Jewelry Mode and switched to coins occasionally and rarely to ALL METAL. I worked 6' out from the path and got the assorted trash and 2 pennies! I dug every target for 6'X 80'. Lots of pool enclosure scrap! Any Ideas on how to over come the "void" between the pool enclosure and the path?

Any way a hard digging day. I found a small object that I thought was lead, but left no smear on paper, brick iron. Haven't bought a magnifying lass yet, but will tomorrow. And then what I said would be my very last target I hit my first button. It is metal and I am sure not old, but it sure sang and I count it as my first button! Also found a zipper slide head 30' from the button. Lots of nails, trash electrical connectors and to make it even more fun, I got to crawl around in dry horse poop the whole day.

I had taken my poodle "Sunny" with me and she found a pile of fresh and made her statement and has been washed and dried. We had a great day together! If anyone has any idea on how to beat this problem I will happily listen. Thanks and Blessing On you all!

Attachments

• 20180314_145757001_1521054352685.jpg
    20180314_145757001_1521054352685.jpg
    875.3 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 7

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck finding those rings! Sounds like a fun project!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Luck...:icon_thumleft:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I need to do a search next to large metal objects, I use my pin pointer. Takes a while, but, I can get right up next to a fence, shed, rebar, etc. Now if they just made a good stand-alone discriminating pin pointer to avoid the nails.....

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for GOLD!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a gold ring that is the same size and purity of the Gold Rings that your dad dropped. Scan it with the machine that you have been searching with. Scan it from 4 different directions and see if all signals give close to the same number. Try to focus on that number or any numbers close to the number. Gold is usually a lower number and can duplicate signals that are similar to foil, pull tabs, and nickels.
Good luck buddy.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig everything.

Could the rings have left with the Palm Roots?

OP
OP
S

suntannedgem

Jan 29, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Pro with 9.5", 12" & Super Sniper coils, Garrett Treasure Hound Deep Depth Multiplier, Garrett Pin Pointer Pro II, Bounty Hunter Legacy 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea and I have a Garrett Pin Pointer II! Kudos to you!

OP
OP
S

suntannedgem

Jan 29, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davers I think most likely they did and I hauled them away. This was way after he lost them too. He just didn't think to tell me about the loss out of embarrassment or senescence.

OP
OP
S

suntannedgem

Jan 29, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks "Against The Wind"!!! Going to try that. I also found that I can scan and discriminate everything but that signal. " can duplicate signals that are similar to foil, pull tabs, and nickels." and lets add hundreds of little squares, rectangles and triangle cut the same size from building the screen enclosure! The good part I always have a place to hunt and get to be with my Dad. Thank you for your help!!!!

OP
OP
S

suntannedgem

Jan 29, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried this yesterday and it got me to within 3" of the screen cage. Didn't find the rings..two screws and a small nail. What surprised me though was that the hour I used my Garrett Pin PointerII I went through 2 Duracell 9 Volts. At least through to the point that the low battery warning was going off. The RAOVAC 9 Volt that came with it lasted me a month and as a tenderfoot it was used quite heavily. Thanks again for your idea! I'm sure I will used it again.8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread