Unusual Early Navy Button, Silverplate Pocketwatch & Early Bullet

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Unusual Early Navy Button, Silverplate Pocketwatch & Early Bullet

Back to the woods today, no coins, but a few interesting things. The early US Navy button has a smooth front, with the shank applied over the eagle & shield on the back. I've never seen that before, all the other military buttons I've found have the shank on the back and the eagle on the front. Any info on this button would be greatly appreciated. Also found a silver plated pocket watch. It's made by Ingram and must of been pretty cheap since the crystal is plastic. Finally, I was wondering if anybody knows what caliber the bullet is and how old? Thanks.

Attachments

• butto.jpg
    butto.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 444
  • bullet.jpg
    bullet.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 413
  • watch2a.jpg
    watch2a.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 409
  • watch3.jpg
    watch3.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 414
  • watch.jpg
    watch.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 412
  • button3.jpg
    button3.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 415
  • button1.jpg
    button1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 414
Upvote 0

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
Re: Unusual Early Navy Button, Silverplate Pocketwatch & Early Bullet

good collection there man very nice finds.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice button. I found one with an eagle on the back this year also. Not the same as yours, however. What kind of site were you hunting? Looks like some military campsite finds. The bullet doesn't look like its been fired, looks like a drop. Thats a good day in my book.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Have seen several found and posted over the years, circa 1820, Tice lists them as a Civilian button. Have heard a couple things on why , but let's just say, nice find and that is a keeper for sure.
Here is a photo of one of mine.

Don

Attachments

• EagleBMbutton.jpg
    EagleBMbutton.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 427
OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Evolution said:
Nice button. I found one with an eagle on the back this year also. Not the same as yours, however. What kind of site were you hunting? Looks like some military campsite finds. The bullet doesn't look like its been fired, looks like a drop. Thats a good day in my book.

I've been hunting this area since last June, and found colonial coins, reales, large cents, and some 19th century American silver. The best American being an 1829 Capped Bust Half Dime. All of my best finds from this area have been posted here on TreasureNet since last year. I'm pretty sure there was no military activity on this site, since the area was once farmland, settled by one of the earliest Long Island families in the 1600s. Besides this navy button, three others of this age have been found, along with a War Of 1812 Light Artillery 1st Regiment button. I think the military buttons were probably hand me downs, but who knows.

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Don in SJ said:
Have seen several found and posted over the years, circa 1820, Tice lists them as a Civilian button. Have heard a couple things on why , but let's just say, nice find and that is a keeper for sure.

Don

Thanks Don, for the info. As always, much appreciated.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice!! Gota love this hobby!

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

Nice.... :o :o :o
RD

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice finds Bookfisher........Your still finding plenty of nice finds back in them woods.........here is a little keeper that I found at one of those old sites along a river. WTG

John

Attachments

• Picture 279 Medium Web view.jpg
    Picture 279 Medium Web view.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 312
  • Picture 279 Medium Web view.jpg
    Picture 279 Medium Web view.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 292

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don in SJ said:

Don

The one you pictured must have meant to go on the back (although it seems a waste of effort), otherwise why does it have the words around it that only normally appear on the backs of those era buttons.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello all,I've also found the same buttons (3) and was wondering about it myself. I also remember seeing one on a Garrett brochure.Also what would the value of such a button be ?

bookfisher, Sounds like an awesome spot and cool finds,pretty much describes a site that i have been searching.Wish they would hurry up and cut the corn already !

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

[/quote]

The one you pictured must have meant to go on the back (although it seems a waste of effort), otherwise why does it have the words around it that only normally appear on the backs of those era buttons.
[/quote]

Here is what is said in Tice's "Dating Buttons" book. The backmark depicting a U.S. navy device was probably used by English makers exporting to America.

Perhaps some manufacturers bought unused military buttons or dies and reused them for selling as a Civilian button..............Either way, they are not military in nature, but for civilian use as Tice has stated.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

very nice finds ;D looks like that watch held up pretty good through the years , congrats ;)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bookfisher,
Very nice unusual button. Congrats on your other finds also. Sounds like a great spot to MD.
-MM-

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

[/quote]

Here is what is said in Tice's "Dating Buttons" book. The backmark depicting a U.S. navy device was probably used by English makers exporting to America.

Perhaps some manufacturers bought unused military buttons or dies and reused them for selling as a Civilian button..............Either way, they are not military in nature, but for civilian use as Tice has stated.
[/quote]

Yeah, makes sence not Military.

Maybe a Civvie who was in the Military wanting to feel at home without letting people know ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread