Ransacking the Neighborhood + Never Hunted Out 1843 Church

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. This morning awoke to everything covered in a sheet of ice. So I laid in bed and watched Ben Hur. Excellent movie. Love Charlton Heston. About 2:00 p.m. the sun popped out and it was game on. Started in my neighbor's property a few lots over and directly across the street from the 1843 church I hunt. Found a little brass button, totally COOL Indian Chief broken ring, very nice intact Ball Mason jar lid seal included, and a few clad coins there. Eventually beat feet across the street to try for another coin in the old pounded to death church. I did manage a deep clad quarter, NO PICTURE, that deflated me a bit. I broke off for supper and went back after dark.

I began just digging nasty iron signals to clean the place up. Worked up a nice old iron skeleton key in the process!;D Got another iffy signal that sounded like nothing but, iron and opened it up. I did manage a square nail and then a nice old 1894 Indian Head Cent. Yeah buddy, Never Hunted Out!:nono: I love my little village. Non-incorporated peace and quiet and enough old history within walking distance to keep me entertained for quite awhile. Enjoy the picture show and thanks for stopping by. BTW, Treasure Hunt backdrop for photo-shoot scored at Goodwill for 3 Pesos! YEE HAW! Kurios1

1894 IHC and Indian Chief Ring 002.JPG 1894 IHC and Indian Chief Ring 001.JPG 1894 IHC and Indian Chief Ring 003.JPG 1894 IHC and Indian Chief Ring 004.JPG 1894 IHC and Indian Chief Ring 005.JPG 1894 IHC and Indian Chief Ring 007.JPG 1894 IHC and Indian Chief Ring 008.JPG 1894 IHC and Indian Chief Ring 009.JPG 1894 IHC and Indian Chief Ring 010.JPG 1894 IHC and Indian Chief Ring 011.JPG 1894 IHC and Indian Chief Ring 012.JPG 1894 IHC and Indian Chief Ring 006.JPG

Upvote 23

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I miss laying in bed until 2 pm...lmao bring that thing up here and scrape my yard..I need a new spot to hunt!!! Nice day for you as well!!!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go, Kevin! 🙌 It was REALLY crunchy out there this morning.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking ring and penny, they look good together. I love the jaunts around town. You always seem to find something good!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff Kev! That "holy" soil sure is nice to your Indians, another beautiful example and love the ring..Ddf

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking IH and that's a cool Chief ring.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking ring and penny, they look good together. I love the jaunts around town. You always seem to find something good!

Thanks buddy. The ring is pure junk but, I love it! I know this town has had other metal detectorists hit it before. Normally I would curse the iron and square nails in my permissions but, I believe it has been the saving grace that has allowed me to recover some very nice old coins from the old church across the street. Still waiting for a very nice old silver coin to manifest one of these days. Has to be some left there somewhere. Adios.:hello:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff Kev! That "holy" soil sure is nice to your Indians, another beautiful example and love the ring..Ddf

Thanks mate. Much of this town is sandy soil. The church has rich black soil and digging it is like slicing into "pudding".:laughing9: The coins coming out of it tend to look very nice. The back side of the IHC is about as nice as I have ever recovered. Nearly flawless. I think the front was laying near some iron which messed with it's patina a bit. Still a nice old penny.:hello:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love Ben Hur and the IHP!! Great finds:thumbsup:

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1894 IH is a lowest mintage year of that decade so that is a great find. The chief ring is a sweet piece of art. I think between us, you had the better day!

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Kurios1. Very nice hunts 'ya got there. Hope things continue to thaw out in your neighborhood.

Thanks for the post and Good Luck out there. C9

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1894 IH is a lowest mintage year of that decade so that is a great find. The chief ring is a sweet piece of art. I think between us, you had the better day!

16,749,500 in 1894. COOL! I never even checked it as it was a "newer" IHC. Sweet.:thumbsup: I love the broken gnarly looking Chief ring. Love my IHC's & Buffalo Nickels too. Anything Native American related is cool to me. I must admit or confess I do have a competitive spirit within me to achieve the best, (oldest), finds available in my region. While I can't expect to find Colonial artifacts very often this far west I still try to research the oldest settlements in my area and plunder their GOODS! You've been improving your finds of late buddy. Keep doing what you're doing!:headbang::coffee2::hello:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Kurios1. Very nice hunts 'ya got there. Hope things continue to thaw out in your neighborhood.

Thanks for the post and Good Luck out there. C9

Thanks C9-er. For the first time in my 10th year now detecting I tried to continue on through the winter hunting. It has paid off nicely with some major Bucket List coins and other cool finds falling from the list. Something about the heaving of soil and moisture content with freezing and thawing ground which must benefit the technologies ability to capture a difficult signal? Anyhow things are getting warm enough to go pillaging pretty much every day now. Thanks for your support. You and your mates continue to fill your chests with booty and show us the plunder!:headbang::hello:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love Ben Hur and the IHP!! Great finds:thumbsup:

Chuck was a man's man! "Soylent Green is PEOPLE!" Ha Ha!:headbang: I love every little round green IHC I dig. Nothing can compare to 100+ years of nurturing that sweet green patina in Illinois rich soil on these old coppers. I still do have a yearning to increase my 1800's silver finds though. Perhaps today I'll get me one!:headbang::hello:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, ice for you, it was in the 80s yesterday down here, we even found a snake sunning itself. an awesome movie and some very cool finds. it amazes me as to how much iron is out there but it was the go to metal in its day and for a good reason. glad the thinning out of the iron paid off for you. Kevin, you sound like a very blessed man. small town atmosphere can be very rewarding in itself. hopefully it will warm up more you very soon. be safe my friend and find some more cool relics with a smattering of coins! DL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread