Civil War belt buckle found in central California?

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few weeks ago I met some of the leaders at an older church that dates from the early 1900s. The church is in central California in the downtown area of a city that was founded in 1872. I got the ok to detect the property and was finally able to get a few free minutes to hunt the grassy area in the front and on one side of the main building.

About three feet from the base of a large pine tree and about five to six inches deep I found this belt buckle. I recognize the style as a Civil War era, U.S. Army eagle sword belt buckle. It’s clearly damaged on the side the belt is affixed to the buckle, it has some caked on dirt that I’m having difficulty removing, and overall it’s in poor shape. There is also an odd rounded piece of metal that is protruding from one corner. However, I did nick it with my digger on the back which exposed the base metal which appears to be brass.

So what I don’t know is whether or not it’s an old reproduction or if it’s an authentic period piece that somehow made it’s way out to California, possibly as a souvenir or keepsake, long after the Civil War had ended.

I read a prior thread here on Treasurenet where another member found a nearly identical belt buckle. TheCannonballGuy gave some very good information on that buckle. Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/297965-belt-plate-id-help-needed.html

Regardless of the authenticity of what I found, it’s not something that I would have expected to come out of California soil. This is what makes our hobby fun!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521425732.033818.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521425750.433465.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521425764.600715.jpg

Upvote 32

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a keeper to me, nice find, congrats!

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, awesome find:icon_thumleft:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could happen, there are a number of civil war vets graves in Calif. and Oregon, fella's having come out here for any number of reasons with bits and pieces of their past.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A bucket lister for most for sure. Congrats:thumbsup:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! Awesome find, congratulations! :occasion14:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely genuine. There’s no reason to fake a buckle unless it’s super rare, much less bury one or artificially age it. GREAT find!

-Buck

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After the War it headed off to the gold fields , quite a journey in time .

OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After the War it headed off to the gold fields , quite a journey in time .

I had never really thought about it, but that makes sense. Once the war was over there were a lot of unemployed soldiers. A number of them probably made their way out to California to join in the gold rush.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find! Those are tough to come by in Civil War areas, so I imagine very rare for your neck of the woods. Congrats!

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Awesome!! Been after a belt plate in CA or NV for years, nice to know their out there :icon_thumright:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look good to us!! They are certainly out this way. Lots of soldiers from the civil war made their way to CA after the war, only to arrive with what they were wearing. Also these styles were still around during the "Indian Wars" that took place in many areas of CA, NV, AZ and so on. We have found US belt plates, spurs and US ammo plates in our area (of course I mean NV) Great save for sure. I would certainly hit that church as much as possible and dig everything!!! Good Luck! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread