Another Big First For Me! US Eagle Breast Plate!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a little detecting time on Sunday and went to a new spot in hopes of some Civil War relics. I've been trying to locate ground in a heavily developed area to find pockets to dig in. This spot is pretty much a swamp surrounded by thickets and some small areas of grass. I got started and could quickly tell that most of the grassy area was fill dirt. There was some higher ground on the other side of the swamp and I made my way across, the first good signal was a nice dropped bullet. I slowly worked my way around digging tons of trash and then I got a great signal down deep right next to one of the bullets I had just dug. I cut a nice big plug and worked my way down about 10"-12" and rolled out a heavy round disk and could see the lead back. I did the "please let this be a breast plate" prayer as I was turning it over and trying to get the caked on mud off to reveal that beautiful eagle! I was in shock and so excited to get my first one! I spent some time getting a few pics and just enjoying the moment. I hunted it pretty hard and found a few more bullets along with a flat button, a knapsack triangle and a really old latch clasp. It sure is a good feeling when you hunt these out of the way shot in the dark areas and they pay off. It makes up for all the other times I hunt a spot and get skunked. HH-David

n1J6ZAI.jpg 2bP6GJ0.jpg f4lQzZm.jpg

ykBxWT8.jpg 3Xw6K22.jpg ZVP73Oi.jpg

Upvote 51
OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, on ur relics I know how u felt I found a US belt plate in Nov

Thanks jimzz! And congrats on your breast plate! It's such a thrill to save these relics

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations ,

CW relics are penciled in my Holiday plan for a upcoming and much needed " relic road trip hunt " this Spring .

Many more Good Days to you .

Best Wishes , CMD

Thanks CMD! Good luck to you on your detecting vacation! I hope you save a bunch of nice relics!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats David, any time you pop out an oval from 10-12 inches deep with an eagle on it, its bound to get your heart pumping! Love those bullets too. --JB

Thanks JB! It sure is exciting to get some big brass! Love your avatar photo! I can't imagine what it would feel like to dig a CS plate. Congrats!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's outstanding and well earned! I've been fortunate enough to have found some great stuff but a breastplate still eludes me. Congratulations on a great find!

Thanks! I hope you get a breast plate soon! Sure love that CS buckle you dug! Pretty awesome you were able to find both pieces like that. Congrats!

sataro

Jan 16, 2013
Corsicana, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 | Nokta Simplex+ | Tesoro Mohave | Quest Xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some amazing finds!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great looking plate, and other finds. Liking the patina on the latch, also that's a great photo shot of the finds.
attachment.php

Thanks pepperj! Yeah gotta love that deep green patina on old brass

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread