My Oldest metal detector finder!

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go-Find 60, Bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know how common it is to find 1800’s silver in the Los Angeles area but I managed to pull a 1852 3cent coin and a 1943 steel war penny off the same property. I almost didn’t know what I had found until I cleaned the coin off a bit.

1D553AFC-CE82-4C31-B3C6-592B85BEF618.jpeg C1007D44-D11F-4C71-A2FC-3B99AAE68C7B.jpeg

EB80F02E-66A0-4923-95F2-CEC1A185F8D1.jpeg 11839E5C-CE4A-4845-B3CC-647BC40E553A.jpeg

I finally found one of my bucket list coins funny thing is I thought I would have to be somewhere on the east coast to find one of these 3c pieces.

I love it when homework pays off!

Upvote 39

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always wanted to dig a trime but, so far they have eluded me. Nice find!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the Trime! :occasion14:

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s funny because these were the only two coins I dug.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done!!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Trime!!!! Nice!!!

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, i would love to find either.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Wow. Steel pennies are a rare find since they rust to dust after some time in the ground. Amazing that it is so uncorroded. I have dug three steel pennies, I think. One, I'm sure of, was stuck in between two other wheats in a spill of 15 or so wheats. I found this in the 80's and realized that the two stuck together with a rusty disc in the middle was a steel penny. That penny has since broken into many many pieces...it's turning into dust. I keep it in a bottle cap. Initially, it broke into two pieces and has been deteriorating ever since.
The trime is a bucketlister for us all and I have yet to get one of those.
GRATS!

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found them on a 1920’s property with very little of any landscaping. The penny was actually in some hard pack dry dirt. I almost didn’t dig the signal. It actually came through with my iron discrimination on. The trime was found under a set of concrete stairs. I was picking it up through the concrete and decided to try to dig to it from the side. I got really lucky and found it in a couple of minutes with the pinpointer. It was literally just a crusty black disk. I didn’t even think it was anything until I got home and washed it off. I screamed WTF so loud my wife thought something was wrong hahaha.

Definatly the rarest coin I have found.

My question is, has anybody else found any trimes in the Los angels area?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet Silver! :occasion14::headbang::hello2:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, I've found steel pennies, but they were always just an "impression" in the sod, but with the penny gone to steel heaven.

That must be pretty hospitable dirt you dug that out of!

wv1978

May 4, 2013
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2+ , Garrett Ace 250 , Bounty Hunter quick silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds!! The 3 cent silver is on top of my bucket list with the 3 cent nickel and 20 cent piece.

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet!!! Both are on my bucket list, and yours are both in great condition for having been dug from the ground! Excellent finds!

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's WAY WAY cool !
I also live in So.Cal and wondered how old of a U.S. coin i could find. 1852 pretty old considering California was part of Mexico until 1848 and didn't became a state in 1850. Americans in small numbers started arriving after the 1800's. And didn't really populate the state until the 1849 gold rush.
My oldest coins a 1898 Barber dime.
Congratulations on a super find.
And the steely's cool also !

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow...never seen a steel 43 DUG looking like that...it should be a rusted little turd. Interesting....

And a trime?? Strange combo.

OP
OP
S

SpencerK

Jan 5, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both were dug in different spots on the yard. The trime being in very wet dirt and the steelie being in extremely hard dry dirt. And there was some surface rust. I couldn’t get all of the corrosion off without damaging the coin. The house was built in the 1920’s but there is evidence of other wooden structures that were once there, including what looked like a stone foundation which was also under the stairs where I found the Trime.

My buddy found a wheat penny spill on the property a year ago near where I found the steelie. I wonder if it’s from the same spill. Either way I was shocked about the steel war penny. I didn’t even think it was a war penny until I cleaned it off. Had a reddish brown hue similar to a corroded copper penny.

I even found some square nails and a horse shoe but the property owner wanted to keep that stuff. He didn’t care much for the coins.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Trimes are a great coin. Wish I would dig one. Won't do it sitting in this chair. Congrats on the coins.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread