Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After the "snowball" of last night, I rechecked the weather forecast, called one of my digging partners and we went on down to the one Atlantic beach we have found some really nice shipwreck coins on before. It didn't snow much, I guess 16", something like that. View attachment IMG_0841.JPG View attachment IMG_0840.jpg

It had snowed at the beach, and that was a real bummer, but we started late and by the time we got there, the snow was gone. When we first got going, we were very disappointed to find no shells or trash or gravel beds or such! I was dumbfounded. FOUR nor' easters and we have an apparent flooded beach, with several salt water "ponds" still on it, but where is the storm debris? After about 3 hours of detecting, I had found 1 brass spinner to an old fishing lure and a small piece of lead. The beach was sooooo clean! Dagnabbit!

We finally figured out, not being oceanographers, that the ocean had pushed so hard, it pushed the sand and the dunes back 20' or so toward the road. Now that's something you don't see every day. The bricks from one foundation had been uprooted and tossed 20' back on top of the new dune line. Boy I betcha the dozers and going to come and fix that soon!

When the sea receded, (NOAA stated there were a few waves at 19.2 FEET, just a FEW, out there in the ocean), but that gets me ill just thinking about it. Well, when the sea receded, it dragged the sand back ONTO the beach and I assume buried most of the targets.

While I was doing my oceanography thingie, my digging partner got 6 modern coins. Every last one of them was on top of the sand! I have seen that before, but ALL of them?

Two other guys were detecting. One had been hitting it for a few months, he hadn't found any shipwreck coins, but told me a young lady picked one up on top of the sand. The ocean has a sense of humor. The gold guinea I found there some years ago was on top of the sand. The other gentleman said a 2 reale Spanish silver had been found recently.

We moved to a place recently dozed, judging by new tracks, and it wasn't long until I got a squeaker of a signal on the Deus. I almost didn't bother to dig it, but with so few targets out there, I decided to go for it. A few minutes later and halfway to China, I call my partner over to see what his machine said. He matter of factly told me it was silver, and about the size of a half dollar. Say what?

I was just going by the tones, not VDI and when I got the loop down in the hole again it was reading now a steady "94". Yup, my partner nailed the silver part first. We took numerous MORE sand scoops out of the hole, which was now getting stupidly deep. I kept thinking it's just another squished aluminum can, those things sound good on a wet salt beach. I just dig, I don't stare at the blasted machine to have it tell me what to do. I just dig.

We were down maybe 16" or so, and I ran the loop over the sand just removed from the hole and the machine blew my ears off.

Taking a scoop of the latest material out of the hole, I see a greyish black metal object. Hmmmm.....methinks. Don't look like iron.

We wiped it a bit and one side saw a Spanish cross! And this beastie is big, the size of an 8 reale. First thing I thought is that it was a "copy" tourist coin. People are well known to throw them out on this beach, just to make detectorists' blood pressure spike. I found a "copy" Netherlands Daadler there a few years ago. I still have it.

Well, it's not a copy. I haven't cleaned it up, but it's an early (no idea of true age) 8 Reale Spanish coin, with the cross on one side and what I hope is a legible shield on the other. Here's a picture. I also dug a really nice bottle cap and a pulltab. The beach was quiet today, but we didn't go into the water. We could see the heavies in the rolling surf, but some waves were still like 6', so forget that. View attachment IMG_0842.jpg View attachment IMG_0844.jpg Funny thing, my digging partner and I decided to try and grid this little area where things were dozed. I hear him mumbling something incoherent, didn't pay much attention. A few minutes later he comes over with a 1775 full date British halfpenny, from apparently a different wreck (there were at least three in this general area). He found it ON TOP OF THE SAND.

Last edited:
Upvote 55

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All seven of the other coins, 6 modern were on TOP of the sand. That's a wild place.

Here it is after some more mechanical cleaning. That silver oxide just pops off in places. View attachment 1568194 View attachment 1568195 View attachment 1568196 View attachment 1568197 View attachment 1568198

Can anyone identify the age of it? I rotated the reverse 90 degrees on each photo. I'm not sure which end is up. These are not my forte. First one!

Congratulations on a super cool find, smokeythecat!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. Hope it's not another 50 years before I find another one. :laughing7:

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
IDK how I missed this but Very Nice Find!!!!(s)

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What a find!!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I suppose this weekend it's back to the CW site. A lot of my places are a pretty good drive!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You da man smoke !! Thats a nice cob in great condition. Congrats !! Your on fire !!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Black Bart. I went to a proven colonial site today and got totally skunked. Oh well.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup....got to take the good and the bad. I dont doubt that you'll score this weekend. Good luck.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doing a side by side w vferrari in the horrid red Virginia dirt at a CW site, he has the 800, I have a Deus and a Vaquero, should be fun.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have been on fire for finds lately! Congrats!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just go several times a week. We have some very, very old and historic sites here and a lot on private properties.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, AWESOME find!!! Man I’d be stoked! Well done! Congrats and HH

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a blast. I thought for sure it was a big piece of aluminum at first! Glad I was wrong.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply incredible!

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, awesome coin. If it's the beach I'm thinking of I've only found a hand full of copper flashing and nails. But only been twice.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even the copper nails are hard to get these days. The beach was very quiet.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I just haven’t had time to do much lately. I used mechanical cleaning only on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread