Snakes, snakes, eveywhere! and buttons too. 5 Buckles!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This week was my spring long weekend "vacation" During the course of said vacation I put 1,100 miles on my truck to go to various sites. The Ocean beach was great, I only got 1 coin but it was an 8 Reale Spanish cob. I also got some shells. I was a little disappointed in the shells. There were not many to be found.

Day #2 was a hunt for Civil War items. I was (kind of) worn out from Thursday, so didn't dig very long. I got these buttons.

View attachment IMG_0858.jpg In the photo are two Civil War general service buttons, a NY cuff with most of the gold on it, the face to a Union Staff officer's button which has seen it's better day, it's hard to make out. And lastly the back off an eagle button. NO bullets this weekend.

Day #3 was another hunt at a Civil War and later site. There was an enormous amount of trash there. Some buckles of various sorts have been produced there in the past, but the past is the past.

We arrived at 10 am and dug with a coupe other tnetters till 4 pm. Then drove the 10 billion miles home! At least it felt that way.

We found all kinds of things, most dating to the Civil War and thereafter, although one of our group dug a NY State Button and I believe one of my buckles is 1830 ish. We found a lot of scrap. And trash.

Towards the end of the day, we moved to a different area and things began to happen. Everybody resorted to digging holes, I just kept having on and checking some new areas. I got into one small area and got these buckles all in fairly close proximity to one another. View attachment IMG_0863.jpg View attachment IMG_0864.jpg View attachment IMG_0865.jpg

Two - yes- that's two - Civil War snake buckles, a big, heavy generic brass buckle, a thin stamped brass buckle with a sailboat on it. If anyone has any idea what this is for, please let me know. It may be non military and lastly an iron buckle, fairly lightweight. If you notice carefully the two snake buckles are different types. One is a single headed snake the other a double headed one. Guess it couldn't make up it's mind. :laughing7:

It was a fun day with some fun folks. At that point everyone was looking for the snakes. Two more snake buckles were found. I also gave another digger a trade for one. He had dug a some previously.

As we were leaving, I spotted a garter snake, the live kind, on the ground in front of me, which was interesting as there are still a lot of patches of snow left. So I called out snake! and everyone was looking at the ground for a buckle! The little girl's friend was a couple feet away, (she was bigger), they were at the entrance to their underground lair. No, we didn't hurt them. No, I had left my camera in the car.

Can I say the Deus sucks snakes out of the ground? Or at least eagles! I might want to clean them so more, but there really isn't any real value in doing that. The snake buckles are made of brass. View attachment IMG_0859.jpg View attachment IMG_0860.jpg View attachment IMG_0861.jpg View attachment IMG_0862.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 50
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer relic hunt! :notworthy:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow,those snakes were jumping out at ya! Very nice job Smokey and congrats on the 8 reale too!

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds Smokey. Huge Congrats!! Live Snakes, brass Snakes, Eagles oh my! and HUGE 8 reale. Sounds like fun

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey,, you picked away at some incredible finds.
Maybe, it's me but I don't see a picture of the 8 Reale Spanish cob??

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 8 reale was found way back on Thursday. It's on another thread.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all. Everything I own hurts, but I'll be back out tomorrow at another site. Not sure which one. Two of my current sites haven't been exploited yet. The snakes have some "white" on them currently. It's renaissance wax. I will clean them a bit more. And I used a little too much of the wax. FYI

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the snake buckles and the buttons. Driving all those miles to detect shows that you're just hooked real good on digging in the dirt.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smokey,your pictures are always nice to look at as always. And your finds this time were awesome.

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing snake buckles

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me, addicted to digging in the dirt?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, a good hunt. I have now found four snakes in my career, and without looking at the first one which is in the other room, I think all four are different.

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Great hunt Smokey! You've had some super finds lately, keep them coming.--JB

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Unfortunately, spring, bugs, snakes, heat, and field planting. One guy disced today around here, and there's still a little snow on the ground!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions