🥇 BANNER Gold posey ring found this weekend!!

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just got home from a few days of digging. I managed to go across something I never even thought of digging on the final day, which is a colonial posey ring. It was found on a site in Eastern Virginia that is rich in history. I contacted the British museum so hopefully I can get it dated and more information. My brother, Leonard Short, managed to repair any damages on the ring and it looks superb now! So if you want any repairs of stuff, let me know and I'll give you his email. Information on the ring he gave me is it's: 22-24 KT gold, 2.04 grams in weight, 3.3 mm wide and 7.25 ring size. Inside it has the makers mark and the writing says:"This and I untill I dye" I'm hoping the spelling will help out with dating it. I don't specialize in colonial finds, but this is one that sure blew me away to dig. If anyone has any information on the hallmark or spelling of the words, I would greatly appreciate help. Can't wait to get back out now! Also had to mention and give credit to my brother for the photos.
image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 78

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW!!! Congratulations! :notworthy:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OUTSTANDING!!!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Holy moly, what an incredible find. Nicely done!!! Seems like this might belong on the banner to me but I'm no expert in things colonial. So cool!

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find. Congrats! :occasion14:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those poseys are always good for a few votes , looks like a Winner

~~ Congrats Worm slice ~~~!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably the best gold ring I ever saw! Pure old gold with a great message in the inside. PRICELESS even if it’s not colonial which I hope it is. Congratulations on a great gold find.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... have not seen one of these in awhile.

Super find.

Well done.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking gold Posey ring, congrats on the recovery and the repair. How bad was it bent up before the restoration, do you have a pic?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a really spectacular old find, so yellow and shiny.

Good luck on topping that find sir!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That posey ring is phenomenal. That was an earlier type of writing. Dunno exactly when it disappeared but likely close to the mid-18th century. I’d bet yours is a bit earlier due to the writing and when posey rings were most popular. I’ve taken a few pictures of stones at my church that I think are really cool over the years. Here’s one that pertains to the spelling you mention.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522153917.249374.jpg

I’m voting banner on that beauty. A posey ring is at the top of my list. Big congrats!!!

Last edited:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a FANTASTIC FIND!!! You have my Banner Vote!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my pet favorites. A super old gold ring that can still be read!
I'm still looking for one that reads, " To Martha from George - 7/4/1776"

Excellent!

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That posey ring is phenomenal. That was an earlier type of writing. Dunno exactly when it disappeared but likely close to the mid-18th century. I’d bet yours is a bit earlier due to the writing and when posey rings were most popular. I’ve taken a few pictures of stones at my church that I think are really cool over the years. Here’s one that pertains to the spelling you mention.

View attachment 1570081

I’m voting banner on that beauty. A posey ring is at the top of my list. Big congrats!!!
Hey, that tombstone has exactly the same spelling of Dye. That narrows down the age more and hopefully with the hallmark I'll be able to find out who and what specific years he worked. Sure love trying to solve mysteries like this. Thanks again for the information and banner vote!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread