DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to street tear up for the 5th time and for the 4th time I had the POLICE called on me.
Just got started when this ( I'll be nice) chubby women comes out her house screaming at me.
WHAT ARE YOU DOING? YOU CAN"T BE DIGGING HOLES IN THE GRASS!!!!!
( It was DIRT No Grass )WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT? YOU CAN'T BE DOING THAT !!!!
I'm Metal Detecting.
WHAT IS THAT? YOU CAN'T BE DOING THAT!!!!
I'm looking for coins. YOU CAN'T BE DOING THAT!!!..
From the sidewalk to the curb is city property. The police and city says it's ok to do...
YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!! I'M CALLING THE POLICE....
Go ahead I'll stay right here and wait for them and then I will continue to do my hobby...
WELL!!! WILL SEE ABOUT THAT!!!!!
In the end the Police came and naturally I continued to Metal Detect....
Spent about an hour there and got a 1943 Quarter, which was right next to a tree standing on end between two roots and there was a space of about 1 1/2 inches between the roots for me to retrieve the coin ( I didn't scratch it , was I surprised) and a 1963D dime 3 whats 1919 1920 & 1956D
along with some change..
These 2 silvers make it 13 from this area in 5 trips....
I almost rang her doorbell after I was done and was going to tell her to get a hobby besides eating...
( Sorry I said I was going to be nice...)
Thanks For Looking ................................DPSB

Attachments

• 9-3-07 Illinois St tear up.jpg
    9-3-07 Illinois St tear up.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,814
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven & Spartan shovels, Grey Ghost headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats DPSB!
Very funny story. You should have told her the coins are yours, but any Slim-Fast you may dig up is hers. ;D Just kidding. I hate pain in the a$$e$ like that with nothing better to do.
Way to hold your ground.
-MM-

Don In South Jersey

Sep 3, 2005
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Pro-Find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time if she comes out, ask her if you can detect on her lawn in exchange you'll buy her a bucket of KFC.

Very nice finds...

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Nice finds, DPSB, and good job on sticking up for your metal detecting rights.

Most people just dont get it. They can't accept the fact that we're deriving pleasure from something they are completely unaware of. Those darned nosey people.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Glad you handled yourself in a professional manner,
too bad for her, to have such a miserable life to be so worried about you.
Congrats on the sweet silvers and other goodies, keep em coming SilverBob!

Smiles!
BDoo

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
I read your post and am concerned that what is suppose to be a fun hobby, and it is, has apparently caused someone else pain. Not only has this apparently upset the home owner, even though it "wasn't" her property, I'm sure she maintains it and the dismay she felt at seeing someone digging there should certainly be taken into consideration. Are we not all suppose to love thy neighbor? I don't think that means loving thy neighbor when it is convienent for us. As for the remark regarding her appearance, I'm sure all of us would like to think noone else would ever make fun of any of our supposed shortcomings, but you all have proven that theory wrong. I congratulate you on your finds, but find your remarks appalling and insensitive to another human being.
Bobbie

crocop

May 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
dave-enc said:
I read your post and am concerned that what is suppose to be a fun hobby, and it is, has apparently caused someone else pain. Not only has this apparently upset the home owner, even though it "wasn't" her property, I'm sure she maintains it and the dismay she felt at seeing someone digging there should certainly be taken into consideration. Are we not all suppose to love thy neighbor? I don't think that means loving thy neighbor when it is convienent for us. As for the remark regarding her appearance, I'm sure all of us would like to think noone else would ever make fun of any of our supposed shortcomings, but you all have proven that theory wrong. I congratulate you on your finds, but find your remarks appalling and insensitive to another human being.
Bobbie
Wow, i never looked at it like that.
YOU CAN"T BE DOING THAT!!!!

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Way to go on the silver!

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
dave-enc said:
Bobbie
good way to put a stop to the insensitive remarks. I say kill them with kindness it only makes them madder
nice finds HH

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dave-enc said:
Bobbie
My thoughts of the person were that " THOUGHTS" none ever expressed " I was very professional about the situation"
after all it's my hobby and I don't want to ruin it for me or others.

No " PAIN" was caused. Your looking at this in the wrong manner....
READ " DIRT no GRASS" All the grass is being replaced...
I wasn't breaking any laws.....or I would have been arrested 3 other times......
Happy hunting.........................Jes

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
since there was no grass to protect and its a "public area" to boot --- there is "no foul" of digging holes in the grass in "her" idea of her "area"---digging in dirt of "public areas" is fine -- the harpy had no issues about reading the "riot" act to you --- you were both smart and kind enough to let her learn the "law" when she called the cops ---however the 4 "callers" will soon gather their "freinds" and make a move on you by attending a city council meeting and pushing to get MDing outlawed in the area since they have nothing better to do and don't like being "put" in their place by you--- Ivan

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Congrats on the self controll my friend.

And let me say.... EXELENT finds,
Thanks for sharing.

Some folks just can't handle success.
Sorry you had to find out the hard way.

Don't let it get you down,
We're loving it. LOL

Keep up the good work,

OD

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
ivan salis said:
since there was no grass to protect and its a "public area" to boot --- there is "no foul" of digging holes in the grass in "her" idea of her "area"---digging in dirt of "public areas" is fine -- the harpy had no issues about reading the "riot" act to you --- you were both smart and kind enough to let her learn the "law" when she called the cops ---however the 4 "callers" will soon gather their "freinds" and make a move on you by attending a city council meeting and pushing to get MDing outlawed in the area since they have nothing better to do and don't like being "put" in their place by you--- Ivan

You've got a point. But what do you do when it's danged if you do and danged if you don't? Yes, you can "retire from the field of battle," and you don't detect there. Or, you can go by what the cops etc say and continue to detect, then cease detecting when the city council gets their knickers in a twist. Either way, you don't detect... So... whaddya do?

I really don't mean to be snotty, but ... but, whaddya do, y'know?

Nan the confuzzled

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
P.S. oops (4th time for the POLICE)

I meant to say - cool finds - best of luck finding more

HH
Nan
P.P.S
Uh... you do realize you just told the world where you found 'em, right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions