Ken C

Nov 18, 2017
Mt. Wolf, PA
Detector(s) used
Deus II / Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Other
UK Tour Best Finds and “THE SHORT CROSS HOARD”

What an adventure! The last two weeks digging in the UK with Chris Langston from Metal Detecting Holidays, Brandon Ray Neice (aka DrTones), Rick Lesquier and Nathan Dinning was amazing. Not only did I dig two bucket listers (roman and hammered), I made lifelong friendships….and oh yea, we FOUND A HOARD!

My best 5 finds of the trip were:

#1 - the second King John Short Cross hammered (1199-1216)
John2.jpg

#2 - Medieval lead seal matrix (1200s)
seal.jpg

#3 - the first King John Short Cross hammered (1199-1216)
John1.jpg

#4 - Queen Elizabeth I hammered (1570s approx.)
Elizabeth.jpg

#5 - Roman Grot (researching)
Roman.jpg

shortcross.jpg
hammereds.jpg

THE SHORT CROSS HOARD

International Metal Detectorists discover medieval scattered short cross coin hoard at a undisclosed location in North Shropshire!

Finding a hoard is a metal detectorists dream find and everyone involved in the discovery are very happy to have saved 800 years of history!

All 14 coins are short cross silver which date 1180AD to 1247AD and were found by:
  • Carlotta Brandenburg
  • Jocelyn Elizabeth
  • Beau Ouimette
  • Tim Saylor
  • Brandon Ray Neice
  • Ken Cunliffe
  • Chris Langston

Shropshire Finds Liaison officer Peter Reavill is dealing with the recording of the hoard.

When the short-cross penny was introduced in 1180, This style remained more or less unaltered until 1247, which gave both the coinage and the state a sense of stability. The practice of placing the moneyer's name and mint on the reverse continued, though the reduction in the number of mints enabled better quality control to be applied. The Tealby coins bear the obverse inscriptions HENRI REX ANG, HENRI REX AN, HENRI R ANG, HENRI REX, HENRI REX A, or HENRI REX — Henry King of England, or King Henry, while the short-cross pennies are inscribed HENRICUS REX. Short-cross coins were minted at Carlisle, Exeter, Lincoln, London, Northampton, Norwich, Oxford, Wilton, Winchester, Worcester, and York.

Last edited:
Upvote 19

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds! I always love to see the amazing finds that come out of England and the rest of Europe. Great job, and congratulations!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
QUALITY TIME AND OVERSEAS FINDS, PRICELESS

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is 14 coins a hoard? I guess it is.
What company are you representing again?

OP
OP
Ken C

Ken C

Nov 18, 2017
Mt. Wolf, PA
Detector(s) used
Deus II / Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Other
Is 14 coins a hoard? I guess it is.
What company are you representing again?

Actually, it's my understanding 2 coins from the same hole/area would be a hoard as well. 14 coins of this age in such a small area is unusual.

I don't represent any specific manufacture. I was swinging a Deus over in the UK and I also have an Equinox. I'm also about to give the Makro Multi Kruzer a test. I hear it's doing great from the people using it.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your post read like a press release which is why I asked about a company...
Very impressive finds. I'd love to make the journey one day!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the short-cross series, sometimes hard to ID the rulers! King John made some good high silver looking coins.

I've yet to get a hoard & yes its No.1 on my wish list. Only time will tell & I'm not going to moan about not getting one yet....lol

CONGRATS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, it's my understanding 2 coins from the same hole/area would be a hoard as well. 14 coins of this age in such a small area is unusual.

I don't represent any specific manufacture. I was swinging a Deus over in the UK and I also have an Equinox. I'm also about to give the Makro Multi Kruzer a test. I hear it's doing great from the people using it.

In Law its 2 or more silver or gold coins in 'close proximity'. There has been no definitive definition of what that actually means in distance.

So your right, you found a Hoard by the legal definition.

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Nice hoard Ken :icon_thumright:. In the group picture of the hoard, the centre right coin looks Irish. There looks to be a triangle on it. Robert.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Neice, or I mean nice ! Congrats on your finds. Looks like you had a great time, and were in great company.

OP
OP
Ken C

Ken C

Nov 18, 2017
Mt. Wolf, PA
Detector(s) used
Deus II / Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Other
In Law its 2 or more silver or gold coins in 'close proximity'. There has been no definitive definition of what that actually means in distance.

So your right, you found a Hoard by the legal definition.

Once Brandon and I found an additional 7 coins to total 14 in the same small area, the Shropshire Finds Liaison officer gave very specific instructions to not dig any deep signals. We were told to mark them for his team to recover. He also communicated that if we popped a plug with 2+ coins in the same hole, to stop digging and contact his office.

Nice hoard Ken :icon_thumright:. In the group picture of the hoard, the centre right coin looks Irish. There looks to be a triangle on it. Robert.

Great eye! Yes, I believe that one was dug by Beau (aka Aquachigger) from the prior group that was on the site.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once Brandon and I found an additional 7 coins to total 14 in the same small area, the Shropshire Finds Liaison officer gave very specific instructions to not dig any deep signals. We were told to mark them for his team to recover. He also communicated that if we popped a plug with 2+ coins in the same hole, to stop digging and contact his office.

Great eye! Yes, I believe that one was dug by Beau (aka Aquachigger) from the prior group that was on the site.

Our Laws are so good, you will receive a share of any deeper hoard that might be recovered by the Archies.

PS. Those instructions are only best practice (Code of conduct, if your a member of the FID or NCMD) & not Law, you can recovery the hoard if you wished to. (Not many know that)

Last edited:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing hunt
Congrats

OP
OP
Ken C

Ken C

Nov 18, 2017
Mt. Wolf, PA
Detector(s) used
Deus II / Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Other
Our Laws are so good, you will receive a share of any deeper hoard that might be recovered by the Archies.

PS. Those instructions are only best practice (Code of conduct, if your a member of the FID or NCMD) & not Law, you can recovery the hoard if you wished to. (Not many know that)

Actually, I was not aware of that. I appreciate the info! :occasion14:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I was not aware of that. I appreciate the info! :occasion14:
I'm not encouraging you to break the 'rules' but what they told you was selfish, & not legal. In an ideal world only Archies would dig and record your best recoveries. However, in my world we asked what tel. No. we would call at a weekend & they said, not us & to wait until the weekday. I said, it's not going to happen because I would not sleep at night. They told me to camp on it. Sorry, if your 'job' means you can't come out at a weekend to help dig a hoard of coins then your in the WRONG JOB.(I would need no extra pay for that!) So I would dig it & record it as best I could.:occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ken C

Ken C

Nov 18, 2017
Mt. Wolf, PA
Detector(s) used
Deus II / Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not encouraging you to break the 'rules' but what they told you was selfish, & not legal. In an ideal world only Archies would dig and record your best recoveries. However, in my world we asked what tel. No. we would call at a weekend & they said, not us & to wait until the weekday. I said, it's not going to happen because I would not sleep at night. They told me to camp on it. Sorry, if your 'job' means you can't come out at a weekend to help dig a hoard of coins then your in the WRONG JOB.(I would need no extra pay for that!) So I would dig it & record it as best I could.:occasion14:

I totally agree. If that were my "job", I would be thrilled to go dig potential hoards on the weekends! :tchest:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions