My first Silver Thimble, war nickel, and relics

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Indian Steve and I went to a local park this morning, our first time there. Really didn't find much - I dug 6 zincolns, a nickel and a dime for 21 cents.

So, then we headed down the back roads and found a mid 1800's house. We stopped there, Steve knocked on the door, and we were granted permission to dig there.

About 2 hours there, and I found my first ever silver thimble - a HUGE bucket list item for me. It's bent up but I think I'll leave it as is:

Thu Mar 29 17-27-39.jpg Thu Mar 29 17-28-19.jpg

Thu Mar 29 17-31-53.jpg Thu Mar 29 17-31-19.jpg

I haven't found any markings on it, but tested with both the 18k and the Silver acid test - positive both tests.

I also dug a 1943-P war nickel....

Thu Mar 29 17-27-03.jpg Thu Mar 29 17-25-20.jpg

A very old padlock - need to do electrolysis:

IMG_1369.JPG

A clump of rust pocket knife - not pictured.

And of course another 18 cents in clad.

A memorable day today.

Last edited:
Upvote 22

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice thimble. 🙌 Still looking for my first UN-smashed one. I'm a sucker for war nickels. Nice job!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I found a silver thimble real early in my tectin' days....in the mid 80's. Mine is smashed as well but it doesn't have any rust on it. I have found many many thimbles since but no silver ones. Looking back, I was very fortunate to have found the one I have.
I would think that if yours is in fact pure silver that the rust or crud would come off without much effort.
Grats and GL next outing.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find my friend! I have found several thimbles, but not yet a silver one. Bet it gave a sweet sound. Congratulations.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep... I know you said you tested and tested pos...

How did you test ? on block scratch ?

The reason is... It looks off to me.

And I hate being "that guy"... but you know... its me :P

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I would think that if yours is in fact pure silver that the rust or crud would come off without much effort.

There's no rust on the thimble, stains and some of our deep red dirt. Note how stained the war nickel is. I put them both in my ultra-sonic tank and ran them for 10 minutes. That got the muck out from inside the thimble, but did nothing for the stains. And acid tests tell the truth, to the best of my knowledge!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Deep... I know you said you tested and tested pos...
How did you test ? on block scratch ?
The reason is... It looks off to me.
And I hate being "that guy"... but you know... its me :P

I did the block scratch test, twice - once with the 18k acid test, and then the silver acid test. Tested positive both times.

When I pulled it out of the ground, the visible areas of metal were nice and white. I knew immediately it was my long desired silver thimble. But due to the staining I still had to prove it to myself when I returned home.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have yet to find a thimble!!! Congratulations

I never ever thought I would find one. I saw them posted as found on TNet, but that was always someone else finding one. I wasn't going to find one, ever!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DEM THIMBLES ARE NEET FINDS

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool thimble. Great hunt! :thumbsup:

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The place was really overgrown with a couple of paths mowed through. Deepseekers first three targets were nickels in just a few minutes. I managed to get four wheat pennies and some other clad.The house is falling down and a couple of sheds have completely collapsed and there is trash everywhere. As we were leaving the owner told us about the tree in the yard {no longer there} that everybody sat under when they had company. We will go back with weedeaters and bug spray. Tics are out!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thimble looks like its aluminum to me. Hope Im wrong though. My silver thimbles are all unmarked as well though

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have yet to find one, its on the wish list.

Great score! Congrats!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Tics are out!

After I got home, I found 3 deer ticks on me, one with its' teeth sunk in - it's itching now. I was doing laundry this morning, and my clothes from yesterday still had one on them = running up my arm. Hopefully it drowned in the washing machine.

Deer ticks are out! And they were all over that yard. Steve & I will spray ourselves next time we go there.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepseeker,, congrats on the war nickel and old lock. The silver thimble is still on my bucket list. You did good and please be careful with the ticks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions