May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today we had to return to the field Cru'dad got the Extremely Rare hammered from. This was our farewell trip to the field before its sold for housing. Its been a really good field to us with over 500 recordable items dating from every period starting in the Neolithic. A rare beast of a field! Although it has all periods covered the actual settlement was only during the Middle Saxon, with a big central halled house which will be fully excavated before the diggers start.
We decided to grid for 5 hours over the area Cru'dad had already done as my detector goes deeper & we have had rain recently. Including most of today! Glad we did, as we picked up lots of good finds;

Lead Medieval Button
US Air Force Enlisted Cap Badge (A first!)
A strange shovel shaped spoon bowl with holes:icon_scratch: Any ideas?
Lead Cloth Seal
Georgian Pan/Trade Weight
3 Jettons - 1 Nice one I need:icon_thumright:
1 Rose Farthing
17th C Token (Farthing)
Counter-stamped Halfpenny
2 Roman Coins
3rd-4th C AD Roman Military Buckle (My first complete example, other than the iron pin!):headbang: UPDATE: It maybe medieval, see below from a Roman Buckle expert;
''great buckle and thanks for sending me a photo.
I suspect though that it may medieval rather than Roman. There is a category of medieval buckle that has openwork buckle plates like that which are so similar to late Roman ones. The three projections off the buckle plate and the shape of the buckle itself make me think this is probably medieval rather than late Roman.''
Further research shows the experts are split on this rare type!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 175
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 142
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    301.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Upvote 73
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did this buckle survived? Deep plough and fresh on top? Amazing find Cru. Big congrats! :icon_thumleft:
We are pretty sure the Archies dug it up from depth when doing the trenches. They really helped out on this field.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s probably one of the best finds I’ve ever seen posted on Treasurenet. Absolutely incredible find! Was the buckle off to the side of the field or right in direct plow strike area?

Congrats, that buckle is a banner above banners. I hope to see it up top soon.

Steve
Before they can build houses they have to at least do an Archie evaluation of the land. In this case it included about 30 trenches. We gave them all Cru'dad's GPS data to include in their report. They decided based on what they found that they would need to be a full excavation before building happens. Very expensive for the developers. Depending what Archie service they use we may get involved like we did on the first one. We recorded & handed over many finds, probably 95% of their recorded metal work.

It was this first piece of work that brought up the buckle from depth.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the buckle. If you're excited about it then it must be something special. Do you know what purpose it served on the uniform? I really like the Romulus & Remus coin. But you seem nonchalant about that one, so I'm guessing it's common.
It held the sword belt.

Yes, very common type.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is indeed a nice buckle, congrats! Sweet patina on that jetton too. Have you ever found letters/fragments from the Roman VTERE FELIX belts?
Nope.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, when they grade the field to build, wonder where all the dirt will be taken to???

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
All are nice finds. The buckle is really nice. df65065ecf9c6abefd922865fc5490d4.jpg :thumbsup:

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is incredible! Congrats CRUSADER!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bad! Not bad at all!
(For hunting in a "museum")

:tongue3:

:headbang:

:notworthy:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the buckle. If you're excited about it then it must be something special. Do you know what purpose it served on the uniform? I really like the Romulus & Remus coin. But you seem nonchalant about that one, so I'm guessing it's common.
It's the most common one we find with this being the 343rd since 2008.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, when they grade the field to build, wonder where all the dirt will be taken to???
Normally built into a feature bank with trees planted in it.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE;

''great buckle and thanks for sending me a photo.
I suspect though that it may medieval rather than Roman. There is a category of medieval buckle that has openwork buckle plates like that which are so similar to late Roman ones. The three projections off the buckle plate and the shape of the buckle itself make me think this is probably medieval rather than late Roman.''

I need to research Medieval Buckles now as I was looking for Roman & couldn't find a match. It's a kind of shame, as I have plenty of complete medieval types & no complete Roman ones, & now I still don't. Oh well, it is what it is!

FURTHER RESEARCH;

It must be a rare type as I looked at 26,000 records on the PAS & there is NO MATCH, but the closest is this;
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/720364
It references Nigel Mills book which I have (Knew I had seen this buckle), & in there he dates it as Roman. It seems the debate is out on these. Either way I now know I have an extremely rare buckle type.

Last edited:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not an expert, but on first sight i would never say medieval. In fact i had bet money on roman. Please update because if medieval it must be a type i would never expect to find in UK. Thinking Merowingian, Goth....

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not an expert, but on first sight i would never say medieval. In fact i had bet money on roman. Please update because if medieval it must be a type i would never expect to find in UK. Thinking Merowingian, Goth....
Nigel Mills thinks Roman, and I can't find any medieval with that type of open-work. I'm already convinced its very rare what-ever because Cru'dad went throw all the Roman PAS records without a hit & I just checked all the Medieval!

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look at it with a magnifier and see if you can find any letters/ numerals. I thought I saw something on one of the extensions. Maybe I'm just being wishful.

buckle1.jpg

Last edited:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nigel Mills thinks Roman, and I can't find any medieval with that type of open-work. I'm already convinced its very rare what-ever because Cru'dad went throw all the Roman PAS records without a hit & I just checked all the Medieval!

There are buckles of the early 5th C. with similar style of openwork found in Le Mont, Swiss and Champdolent, France.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at it with a magnifier and see if you can find any letters/ numerals. I thought I saw something on one of the extensions. Maybe I'm just being wishful.

View attachment 1571908
It's just a line of single dot decoration.:thumbsup:
Thanks for the interest I missed that!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one of the coolest things I've seen posted in a while! Well found!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions