South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Met up for an early morning hunt with fellow local Tnet members HighVDI and MetalHeadz at a local public woods site.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522533160.497051.jpg
The woods have had an interesting history going back to the late 1700's when a group of angry farmers who also turned their crop into whiskey were not very happy with the new taxes imposed on their lucrative product.... So 500 of them gathered in these woods and attacked the tax collector who lived at the top of the hill and killed some of his associates and burned down his house. George Washington then sent several thousand of his men in to eventually straighten the farmers out.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522533466.170135.jpg
(Here's the park now)
We all found some coins, some wheats, Merc, mystery nickel sized coin, IHP and Buffalo, plus some buckles and a cool brooche.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522533574.095907.jpg
Here is the group shot of our coils and the keepers.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522533623.946966.jpg
We also removed about 10 lbs of metal garbage...
Here are my coins cleaned up.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522533668.700283.jpg
And a handful from Friday's lunch hunt.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522533710.807473.jpg
Pretty cool buckle I need to figure out how to straighten.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522533751.173963.jpg
Great time with the Pittsburgh guys and fun first hunt with MetalHeadz.

Good luck out there!

Upvote 25

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE FINDS AND BUCKLE

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again for the invite, Thad. Had a good time even though I thought we might need an oxygen tank on a couple of those hills....

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hopefully this is the first of many hunts as a group. Thad had a nice plan mapped out to hunt 3 sites in the area. The last site was challenging to navigate but I found the Merc there so it was worth it.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know? Somehow that wouldn't surprise me very much.

...."T-net'er hunt.....whiskey rebellion" ? :dontknow::tongue3:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully this is the first of many hunts as a group. Thad had a nice plan mapped out to hunt 3 sites in the area. The last site was challenging to navigate but I found the Merc there so it was worth it.

Ya know....I've seen people kick up a stink about just typing in all caps or strange fonts. But nobody finds an annoying, un-ignorable,distracting, repeating animation ...even a beginning of worthy of a comment?:BangHead:

:dontknow: ??? :icon_scratch: :tongue3:

:tongue3:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job organizing the group hunt Thad. Hopefully I can attend the next one.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a nice hunt. If the buckle were mine, I would cover the buckle with a towel, and grab each side with a pair of pliers. Pull slowly to straighten enough to get the buckle in a vice. Keep it covered with the towel, rag or paper towel to keep from scratching it. Then just turn the vice handle slowly to start straightening it. Each item has a million circumstances, but I use this method for metal items, brooches, coins, tokens, buckles and anything that is bent. It works real well. If you don't want to chance damaging or snapping the buckle, then by all means, don't do it. I have had great success, and have yet to ruin any of my "vice" items.

Oldhead

Mar 21, 2018
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know....I've seen people kick up a stink about just typing in all caps or strange fonts. But nobody finds an annoying, un-ignorable,distracting, repeating animation ...even a beginning of worthy of a comment?:BangHead:

:dontknow: ??? :icon_scratch: :tongue3:

:tongue3:

Haha I had to scroll down pretty quick. That thing will give you a headache.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds with friends...priceless! :occasion14:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides finding single coins and jewel, there may be buried treasures. Good hunting and good luck.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a nice hunt. If the buckle were mine, I would cover the buckle with a towel, and grab each side with a pair of pliers. Pull slowly to straighten enough to get the buckle in a vice. Keep it covered with the towel, rag or paper towel to keep from scratching it. Then just turn the vice handle slowly to start straightening it. Each item has a million circumstances, but I use this method for metal items, brooches, coins, tokens, buckles and anything that is bent. It works real well. If you don't want to chance damaging or snapping the buckle, then by all means, don't do it. I have had great success, and have yet to ruin any of my "vice" items.

I'm going to give it a try, if I post a pic it means some success, if I don't then I broke it to bits. Not a valuable piece, so in my opinion worth making look presentable vs its current pretzel state. Thx

[here!QUOTE=Honest Samuel;5764828]Besides finding single coins and jewel, there may be buried treasures. Good hunting and good luck.[/QUOTE]

We didn't have time to search the historical side of the woods, if we find some musket balls there, I would consider them treasure! Thx

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522772352.992030.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522772364.345174.jpg
Well, I tried bending the buckle enough to get in the vice, but it felt really brittle and looked like it was going to snap in a couple places (I've snapped my fair share of suspender clasps...). So, I tried my hand at annealing. Basically placed the buckle over a blue stove flame, turned dark red in about 30 seconds, quenched in cold water. Then took it to the vice. Was very easy to work after annealing. Major down side is that the heat burned off the silver plating (flame turned green, probably some chemical reaction). But at least it looks much more presentable in my opinion. Anyone familiar with this type of buckle?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread