Old Elgin pocket Watch back

Boonieguy

Jun 28, 2012
north west Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this down in the pasture behind my house the other day . ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522604632.733625.jpg I looked up the numbers in the back and this was the info from Elgin. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522604667.114043.jpg
I was wondering about the design as i haven’t found one online that looks anything similar. I’m hoping to find the rest of it but it’s tough going as the whole area has been a dumping ground for a 100 years from all the junk i dig up .

Upvote 8

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find. I just want to let you know that the case numbers are different than the actual watch numbers because they are made by a separate manufacturer, and case number records are not available on the internet from what I know. I found this out when I recently bought an old broken Waltham watch, with an Elgin key wind case and the date 1874 carved with a nail into the back of the case. When trying to search the serial number on the inside of the case back, the website said to not enter case numbers, that they were irrelevant to the watch. I entered the number anyway, and it came back with the results saying that it was made in 1910, which is wrong because the case was an older key wind type, and the date 1874 was carved into it. Great find though, it looks late 1800's to maybe around 1900 or so. I hope I find a watch case sometime, the old ones are definitely very beautiful and well engraved.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find. I just want to let you know that the case numbers are different than the actual watch numbers because they are made by a separate manufacturer, and case number records are not available on the internet from what I know. I found this out when I recently bought an old broken Waltham watch, with an Elgin key wind case and the date 1874 carved with a nail into the back of the case. When trying to search the serial number on the inside of the case back, the website said to not enter case numbers, that they were irrelevant to the watch. I entered the number anyway, and it came back with the results saying that it was made in 1910, which is wrong because the case was an older key wind type, and the date 1874 was carved into it. Great find though, it looks late 1800's to maybe around 1900 or so. I hope I find a watch case sometime, the old ones are definitely very beautiful and well engraved.
100% agree. Please post up a close up of the information in the case back? We can at least tell you who made it and what its made of.
Cheers

OP
OP
B

Boonieguy

Jun 28, 2012
north west Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do remember about not using the case numbers for researching the date but forgot . I looked it up on my phone and didn’t notice. It says overland in the back with the serial numbers in a V shape like this . ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522623152.160502.jpg

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know all that much about pocket watches, but I do know that that one is real purty.
Congratulations

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OLE CASE FINDS ARE COOL

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overland movement.jpg I am now more curious for a picture of the case inside. I have not heard of an overland case company. Only the rather rare Overland Movement by Elgin Watch Co. These were usually in 1/4 gold cases not nice silver. Try and post it up?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool relic!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread