My third confederate button!!!!

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I went out for a hunt with my dad and grandpa. We managed to find plenty of flat buttons. My dad found a early navy button. My grandpa found a 1809 half cent. And I managed to get my 3rd confederate button which happened to be my 2nd south carolina! The pictures I'm showing are my finds only my dad posted some of his earlier if you want to see. 13688.jpeg 13689.jpeg

Upvote 11

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet button!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your Confederate button, and spending time with your dad and grandpa.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAN TEARING UP DEM BUTTON FINDS

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those southern state seals are kind of a grey area with Confederate memorabilia. South Carolina especially had a strong tradition of antebellum militias which were training and wearing uniforms while the American Civil War was still thirty or forty years away. That being said, many saw service during the Civil War, and many were used by the Confederacy. "Confederate" stuff will be produced by the CSA central government between 1861-1865.

Your find is a terrific one, but it's important not to label everything as Confederate.

Hunting with your dad and grandpa, finding a cool penny from 1809, and being young and healthy are the icing on the cake. You had a great day with some choice finds, and I wish you many more such days.

OP
OP
DiggerKid2003

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those southern state seals are kind of a grey area with Confederate memorabilia. South Carolina especially had a strong tradition of antebellum militias which were training and wearing uniforms while the American Civil War was still thirty or forty years away. That being said, many saw service during the Civil War, and many were used by the Confederacy. "Confederate" stuff will be produced by the CSA central government between 1861-1865.

Your find is a terrific one, but it's important not to label everything as Confederate.

Hunting with your dad and grandpa, finding a cool penny from 1809, and being young and healthy are the icing on the cake. You had a great day with some choice finds, and I wish you many more such days.
Thanks for the feedback! You are completely correct but seeing the few civil war buttons I find I'm probably still label it as a confederate button even though there is a good chance of it being used pre-war. Im also gonna add that confederate buttons have been found in this exact location and even a plate! Is there a way to tell if it's militia or civil war? It's still pretty caked up and I can't really read the back mark. Whenever it was used I just know it was an old south Carolina button so either way I'm happy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread