Minkey

Aug 5, 2008
Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Dad and I failed to adhere to TreasureNet's rules and posted our find on his account. The following is a reupload of my Dad's post. Apologies and thanks to anyone who has already taken the time to leave a comment, like, or banner nomination.

Last week, my son and I went on another “Treasure Coast” trip, this time armed with our new Equinox 800’s.

Our last trip to St. Augustine had me finding the only “old coin”, an 8 Reale, that I was sure was authentic, but my 21 yo son had the opposite opinion. For the last 6 months, I have been hearing it from him about my “lead slug”.

Fast forward to last week. It’s about 11:30 pm on 3/27, and he comes up from behind me and tells me he found a “fake” coin, and not so jokingly accuses me of planting it, so he could have the heart attack/heart break of finding a worthless piece of junk… So, Sam pulls the “coin” out of his junk pouch so we can both give it a better look.

Upon inspection of the coin, its mint appearance gave the impression of a newly minted souvenir, but the coins details were so fine, and weight so heavy, we really did not know what to think. Back at the hotel we researched, compared pictures of actual coins, and did everything we could at 3 am to prove or disprove its origin.

The next morning we went to the West Bay Trading Company in Vero Beach to have the coin seen by folks who know much more than we do. The guys at West Bay were really helpful, determined that the gold content is just under 90%. 21 carat (by all records we found, 87.5 % was what the coin were supposed to be), Both Ron and Scott looked at the coin in disbelief of the condition, and determined that it was indeed genuine, and Scott, with his loop, discovered that the date was an over stamp 1787 over a 6. We were advised to have the coin graded and slabbed, and that is where it sits now.

Needless to say, we had a great trip. The Equinox has proved to be a great, fast, deep machine. Small brass/bronze/copper bits at 8 to 12 inches ring up VERY loud and clear on the wet sand (Beach 2), leaving no doubt that you have a non-ferrous item under the coil. Yes, aluminum rings up as well, but as we all know, that is just the cost of doing business… Battery run time is all of 10 hours plus, the wireless headphones worked well, the backlight on its lowest setting is perfect, and the machine preformed very quietly in the dry sand, and even in the surf. Very happy with the Equinox! -muttandjeeps
Angled Reverse.jpg
Obverse.jpg
Reverse.jpg

Upvote 65

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible! Can't believe you put it in your junk pouch. Congrats.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
One post was just fine. I don’t know what you mean by “compliance”. Members post other members finds all the time.

muttandjeeps

Jul 11, 2008
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One post was just fine. I don’t know what you mean by “compliance”. Members post other members finds all the time.

We (I) messed up, and put it under my regular account, and a moderator posted and stated that it must be posted by the forum member finder......

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
We (I) messed up, and put it under my regular account, and a moderator posted and stated that it must be posted by the forum member finder......

For what? It’s commonly done by members. The only thing that makes a difference is it wouldn’t be eligible for....

Ohhhh I get it..... [emoji476]

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow again that’s an amazing coin no doubt about it
A pic says 1000 words and it speaks for itself as far as banners go
Heck if you told me you bought it on eBay
I’d still vote banner all day
But the story is the REAL BANNER
That’s one tough stretch of beaches you hunted there
I’ve covered them from Augustine to Miami
And seen some and heard stories of treasure and coins
But to got there once and pull an 8 reale
Then revisit a second time and pull a 4 esquado In a/u less the bezel dent is simply outstanding almost like a one in a gazillion !!! What luck ! Talk about right time and place wow
I just ordered the equinox I’m hoping maybe you can send me some luck
I’m headed there soon as it arrives !!
Peace out

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now they will say you'll have to start you own thread and the voting will have to start all over again. It feels like I need a lawyer just to be able to post the obvious. None the less, In my book this is one of the all time best banner finds I've seen on this website even though it didn't make the banner. Congrats!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now they will say you'll have to start you own thread and the voting will have to start all over again. It feels like I need a lawyer just to be able to post the obvious. None the less, In my book this is one of the all time best banner finds I've seen on this website even though it didn't make the banner. Congrats!

Must be half asleep, guess I need to vote again?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding find! :notworthy:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You still have my vote. I feel its one of the most beautiful coins that ive ever seen posted here. And yes I myself have dug coins from a salty sandy environment that have been in incredible condition !!! Congrats and happy hunting !!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got it sorted out! You got my vote! Banner all the way!

BobTheDigger

Jul 7, 2016
SW PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow - what a stunning find. Congrats. I think if I found a coin like that I would just rip up my bucket list. That's gonna be hard to beat. I can't stop looking at it!

VERMONTIS

Mar 27, 2013
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites PI 1000, whites xlt, whites v3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER!!!! Crazy find :occasion14:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Sam! I'll vote banner again when I get to my PC for your find. Can you add some details like dry sand or wet sand, towel line, by volley ball courts, or secluded natural section of beach. Were you finding other hurricane relics or Normal beach junk. Did it look this great, unreal too perfect or did you clean it up for pics?Congrats!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions