pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was planning for a Sunday hunt, then it was Saturday because of the incoming weather. Well I looked this morning and I was out the door as it's going to be a wet one for 6 days.
So I thought of a cellar hole I have permission to, and I hit with pretty good results last year.
The hay/grass was the issue so thinking that the winter packed down the grass I returned to see if I could sniff out a few keepers.
I was treated by a big copper which turned out to be pretty sweet If I my say so myself.
Then came the first silver from this site and it was in the iron as well.
A buckle gave me another smile.
Then came yet another copper being a large cent.
Getting late so I'm just throwing this post together or it never happen.

I just love these One Penny Tokens
20180411_200657.jpg 20180411_200448.jpg

1853 dime
20180411_120830.jpg 20180411_120847.jpg

The buckle and the 1845 One Cent

20180411_114835.jpg 20180411_191459.jpg

20180411_154022.jpg

Have cross a little water to get onto the site.
Really keeps the trash off the site.
20180411_164041.jpg

And who can forget the reason good things come up once in a while, get the iron out.

20180411_163736.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 34

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That had to be a fun hunt. Now,it almost 50 years searching in Ohio I found three of those Canadian bank tokens. Two are half cents 1842 and 1844 Bank of Montreal the other is a one penny 1857 Bank of upper Canada. My reference books do not go back that far, what value do you place on them?

Thanks thrifty

Here is a link that doesn't all the values but will still open a window to your question. It's a go to quick reference for the bank tokens that were issued in the time period.

Coins and Canada - Banks tokens - Quebec, Montreal, Upper Canada, City Bank

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW, that penny looks brand new, sweet seated that was a great hunt, right down my ally really looks nice. There is a lot of ground to cover there I'm sure you'll find some more goodies. Congrats!

Thanks Treblehunter

I was just looking at the condition again and it right up there in the AU range so it must of been dropped soon after being put into circulation.
The permission has 3-4 cellar holes but this one is far the least contaminated, no garbage-well I did find the alum foil off a rabies drop pack cube-if that counts.
Two fields over is where the locals sat around the site, fire pit and plenty of beer was drunk over the years.
Don't have to say what caps and tabs ring up as on the Deus so that's like digging at a local park.
Here's a shot of the site to the west, the barn rubble is still standing and the cellar hole is where the two trees are standing. Haven't been to the Hobo encampment yet nor the other cellar holes 250 acres is a many return hunts for the permission.
20171121_160147.jpg

Very nice old One Penny Token.

Thanks TH

Once in a while a good one pops out to make it all even better.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice token. I just found one in Michigan that I think the date is 1850 or 1859. Mine is a lot more hammered than yours is. I can see the horse and rider though. Love yours. Great condition.

Thanks Scuba

Was it a water find or on land? Probably a /50 as they I don't think they issued a /59

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW, you did really well PJ. That token is just beautiful... plus a seated silver and LC to boot.

Very well done sir!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks Scuba

Was it a water find or on land? Probably a /50 as they I don't think they issued a /59

This was a deep land find. I believe I have another one I found but it seems to be misplaced.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go pepper. You beat the rain and saved some history. Always nice to see a Seated come out of the ground. Canada must be using a better quality of copper. Your pennies hold up better in the soil and give off a sweet signal.
Congratulations on your finds.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Great finds and the area looks like a lot of fun. Grats and GL on future outings.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW, you did really well PJ. That token is just beautiful... plus a seated silver and LC to boot.

Very well done sir!

Thanks Tom
It was good to get a few keepers out of the dirt yesterday.

Nice Jim!
Fantastic coin!!

Thank you Tom

Way to go pepper. You beat the rain and saved some history. Always nice to see a Seated come out of the ground. Canada must be using a better quality of copper. Your pennies hold up better in the soil and give off a sweet signal.
Congratulations on your finds.
Thank you
I wonder sometimes even between the half and one penny tokens there's a big difference. Must be something to do with the metal or thickness.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well those battle sites are off limits. If you get caught they will take everything you have.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Treblehunter

I was just looking at the condition again and it right up there in the AU range so it must of been dropped soon after being put into circulation.
The permission has 3-4 cellar holes but this one is far the least contaminated, no garbage-well I did find the alum foil off a rabies drop pack cube-if that counts.
Two fields over is where the locals sat around the site, fire pit and plenty of beer was drunk over the years.
Don't have to say what caps and tabs ring up as on the Deus so that's like digging at a local park.
Here's a shot of the site to the west, the barn rubble is still standing and the cellar hole is where the two trees are standing. Haven't been to the Hobo encampment yet nor the other cellar holes 250 acres is a many return hunts for the permission.
View attachment 1576912

Thanks TH

Once in a while a good one pops out to make it all even better.

I want to come up and hunt with you:laughing7:

sheep.dog

May 30, 2017
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to love spring!! I've been loving the snow packed grass and unplanted fields here in VT

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got to love spring!! I've been loving the snow packed grass and unplanted fields here in VT

It's probably the best time, from now till the May crops are planted.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pepperj, I searched all through that site ,and was rewarded with much information on Canadian coins and tokens,THANKS.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, you "killed" it !!! That '54 Bank Token is a beauty!...........Then to top it off with Seated & a Largie! What a day you had! ( But then, I know the kind of hunter you are !):occasion14:

Iowa Dale

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, you "killed" it !!! That '54 Bank Token is a beauty!...........Then to top it off with Seated & a Largie! What a day you had! ( But then, I know the kind of hunter you are !):occasion14:

Iowa Dale

Thanks Dale

It's one of those hunts that at the end of the day one feels alright. Ah I can't believe it's been what close to 9+ yrs since hunting in England together. Geez time flies by too fast...

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pepperj, I searched all through that site ,and was rewarded with much information on Canadian coins and tokens,THANKS.

Good to hear that it was of some value to you. Now you need to find a few more now you know where to research up on them. Best of luck on your hunts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread