The Eagle Has Landed in PA!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With Mid-Atlantic relic season winding down with high temps and planted fields, the "Cat" graciously invited me up to PA again to what I like to call the Relic Hunter's Amusement park based on the awesome finds that have come out of this site. Well today the Equinox 800 in stock Park 2 mode (with All Metal on) got a shot at it after the Deus had visited previously with some nice keepers. Decided to punish myself and try to pry some keepers out of the melted aluminum wreckage of a tractor motor explosion. After banging my head against the wall pulling some major melted aluminum globs out of the ground that sounded great in my headphones, I really got used to how hollow the aluminum high tone was and now have a better feel for when my coil is over a crushed can that sounds good and has a good VDI. It is a little different and that nuance will help me avoid cans in the future. Anyway, the subtleties of how aluminum sounds to an Equinox is not why we are here writing today. After I moved through the aluminum torture chamber I started picking up some keepers, a well worn early copper (a first for this late comer, so the day was a success after my first keeper), a CW knapsack J-hook, some bent brass, a minie ball. I kept letting the "Cat" know about each target I dug until I was nicely told to, well, keep it to myself. Lol. These quick succession CW era finds were a little surprising based on where I was in the field where mostly early 20th century stuff had been found previously. So, finding a concentration of CW stuff put me on high alert. I got another high tone, but it was more "solid" that the aluminum junk and registered a strong 22-23 VDI. I thought perhaps small silver coin but it seemed "louder"than that. Flipped the plug, saw a large circular object mostly covered in dirt and flipped it over. Bang, the Eagle Had Landed! Right in front of me was my first CW Eagle Breast Plate (actually, first military plate ever). Happy Dance Time. Fist Bump Time. The rest of the hunt was going to be gravy. Managed another minie ball in another part of the field and then my third bucket lister of the day as I snagged my first Seated silver, an 1853 Quarter. Kaboom, game over. Thanks to Smokey for a great wrap up of Spring farm field relic hunting for the year. Exceeded all my expectations even for the Relic Hunter's Amusement Park. :occasion14:

BTW the Cat has a story to tell, too...

20180414_092559.jpg

20180414_173832.jpg

20180414_112301.jpg

20180414_173853.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 46

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude! Looks like you killed it out there! Congrats, man!

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, a once in lifetime day, for sure. Plus it pays to listen to what Smokey is telling you regarding what has and hasn't been pounded on the site. It only took me four tries to finally figure out how to listen.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a fun but HOT hunt. Eighty degrees!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW what a place! Huge congrats on the breast plate and the Seated quarter!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unlike some folks, I really do *share* a site. I'm the type who would feel bad if I took someone to my site and they didn't find anything! That has happened once or twice, primarily at Coin Beach, DE, but hey, it's a state park, and not so much "my" site! Now sneaking back the next night at midnight is not cool, but I don't think I know any nightstalkers personally. Yes, I could go by myself all the time and have more useless "stuff" around the house, but I like going and playing with others. And folks, value or not, it's just stuff. It has no eternal value. Other things do. It's also safer to go with someone. You never know when a crazed groundhog will attack! I actually saw a pretty big one today at the farm. Friends are more important than stuff.

BTW when do I get a seated quarter?

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty, congrats

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice finds!

Congratulations, and all the best,

Lanny

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Way to go. Nice finds.:thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on the plate it's a real beauty. Congrats!
So you'll open the ear and plug the other when Smokey gives you a little advice. :)

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. Just Wow!! :notworthy:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey smokeythecat can I be your friend? I love the eagle. Seems like luck is on your side right now. Buy a lottery ticket. Congrats on your finds man.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an excellent outing and a great way to end your "field" season. Congrats on your first Seated coin, and all of the rest of your finds.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Civil war eagle breast plate is just beautiful. The seated coin was another treat also,

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Totally awesome my friend, just one of those would have been the high light of a hunt for me but you killed it. Hunting with the Cat has to be pretty cool too, she seems to know where to go. That had to be an awesome trip for all involved. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread