First Find Of 2018!

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today I went out for a short hour for my first relic hunt this year. The place had three house foundations from the 1700's but I had a hard time finding them, first I found one of the house foundation but that place was covered in snow. I went to look for the other two house foundations and after ca 5 minutes I found them about 40 meters away. Now the problem I noticed was that my detector (Garret AT Max) started to beep everywhere, like if it was iron EVERYWHERE in the ground. I had detected with it one time before and that wen't very well but this time there was something wrong. I had ground balanced it correctly repeatedly but it still wouldn't work properly. There was a highway 50 meters away from this place and a railway 20 meters away with contact wires so that may of been the issue. And I also tried to switch from the four frequency's on the detector but that also didn't seem to work. Although I tried to detect there was a ton of trash and junk in the ground so it seemed to have been some kind of dump site in this area. I did find only one decent find which is a 18th-19th century keyhole (first good find of 2018):

IMG_8071[1].JPG IMG_8072[1].JPG

I don't think I'll be going back to that place another time and I will try to stay away from older sites that are closer to highly populated areas.

Upvote 15
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions! :occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The site might have been full of hot rocks.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
& so it begins....

OP
OP
Vldetecting

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The site might have been full of hot rocks.

That's what I wondered but it was just in the woods and it kept beeping no matter how much stones and rocks there was under my coil...

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice. You're on your way to a great year! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Vldetecting

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KEY ESTCHUCHION

What do you mean, never heard of 'Key Estchuchion' before and I'm not getting any search results on google either...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean, never heard of 'Key Estchuchion' before and I'm not getting any search results on google either...
Its the decoration around the keyhole, like a plate.

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem with the AT Pro in late winter/early spring when the ground was still partially frozen. I would get iron buzz and grunts everywhere; even spots I knew where clear of any signals. Something about the leaf litter and shallow ice crystals seem to have been the problem since when the ground was fully frozen it didn't happen and as soon as the ground fully thawed it went away. I would recommend going back when there's no trace of frost and seeing if that clears it up. Interestingly I had my Deus XP with me one of the times and it didn't make a peep over the same ground. :dontknow:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congratulations on your interesting find!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Vldetecting

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem with the AT Pro in late winter/early spring when the ground was still partially frozen. I would get iron buzz and grunts everywhere; even spots I knew where clear of any signals. Something about the leaf litter and shallow ice crystals seem to have been the problem since when the ground was fully frozen it didn't happen and as soon as the ground fully thawed it went away. I would recommend going back when there's no trace of frost and seeing if that clears it up. Interestingly I had my Deus XP with me one of the times and it didn't make a peep over the same ground. :dontknow:

Thank you for the information! That could absolutely be the case cause there was still a lot of frozen ground there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread