paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been puzzling over this pewter disc all evening. Carefully cleaning the dirt off with a toothpick and trying to figure out what it is. There was obviously a design and writing, but it was just couldn't put my finger on it until I rotated it just right and... BAM!

Capped Bust.jpg

Figures; despite everything I've dug to date, capped bust coins have been eluding me and instead of digging a real half-dollar I dig a pewter counterfeit. :laughing7: Definitely a good chuckle and it looks like a contemporary fake which is cool. I was actually able to get a faint date off the obverse and it looks like 1828. It makes me wonder if they lost it, or realized it was a fake and chucked it.

There was a ton more at this site that I'm still cleaning and I'll post that stuff later, but I just had to upload this in the hopes that you would get a good laugh out of it too!

DSC06480.JPG DSC06481.JPG DSC06483.JPG DSC06484.JPG

Upvote 16

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's actually very nice. Contemporary counterfeits are collectible in themselves. The King George III counterfeits can be pricier than the originals.

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A fake cap bust is better than no cap bust, which is what I got. At least it was crusty and didn’t fool you from the get-go.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love finds like these. Wish they could tell a story. I found a seated counterfeit half 4 or 5 years ago. One of my favorite finds. Congrats on yours! :occasion14:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fake or Not, what a great piece of history you have found!!!! Awesome save in our books!!!!!:icon_thumleft:

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A fake cap bust is better than no cap bust, which is what I got. At least it was crusty and didn’t fool you from the get-go.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love finds like these. Wish they could tell a story. I found a seated counterfeit half 4 or 5 years ago. One of my favorite finds. Congrats on yours!

Thank you! I'm definitely glad to have found it; and grateful that the soil was nicer to it than most of the pewter I've dug recently. I found it a good ways from the homesite down the side of an embankment and it does make you wonder if someone lost some real money with this counterfeit. I was looking at a few purchasing power calculators and depending on how you measure it, this would have been $150 to $300 in today's wages. Ouch.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I WILL TAKE IT FAKE OR NOT. SURE BEATS THE HELL OUT THEM DANG CANSLAW EARRINGS I HAVE BEEN FINDING.

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a good find for sure. I found a 1/2 cut 8 real.
Soon as this was cut someone knew it was fake
Mine was copper plated with silver it was a good job for sure hh gl.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its a great find. Thinking of the time and everything else involved in making a coin counterfeit is a great character point. It should make a great conversation piece.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting coin find! Awesome piece of history with a great story behind it. :occasion14:

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a pewter capped bust half just like yours. I was disappointed it wasn't real but I am still happy with it.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a pewter capped bust half just like yours. I was disappointed it wasn't real but I am still happy with it.

I agree , it's still a neat historic find.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few, different denominations from penny to dollar. They are actually collectible and there is a data base for the different varieties....believe it or not. Pretty kool.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
still a very cool find, just more proof that people have been trying to make their own money (fake of course) forever. it is sad when honest people get burned by them. still history and still very cool

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread