πŸ† HONORABLE MENTION XClass Ring

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
I got my T2 LTD a week ago but have not had much play time on it since. Today I am off work and got the chance to get out side with it,I did a quick search with the 11'' coil and thought I would try out the 5'' inch coil. I like the coil, the detector is already light and with that on it, the machine is made out of tissue paper light. I did not find much, a couple pennies and a 1944 wheat penny, then I got a lower reading in the mid 70's. sens was on 90 odd, dis 35 in 3 tone and 5 inches down pulled out what I thought was just a junk ring.

Later I went in the house and showed the 'Missuss" and she said I found a class ring, she went and cleaned it up. It was a man's ring from class of 68' stamped 10k white gold, that made me feel good. I will try and track the owner down by going to the High School and the public library, there is some Initials inside the band. Here are some pic's, it is a big ring but have not weighed as I do not have any scales yet. Josten web site price $463 Thanks for looking HH

class ring 5.jpg class ring 4.jpg class ring 3.jpg class ring 2.jpg class ring 1.jpg

Upvote 25

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a cool find!

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Wish you the best in getting it back to the owner or his family. Congrats.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very nice gold high school ring. He would be about 68 years old now.Hope you can find the owner.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Possibly in Nam. BEST way to find an owner is to contact the school librarian. They help more than the front office and have all the yearbooks and children willing to contribute.

Awesome find.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on the class ring.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the ring. Also nice of you to try and find the owner. Good luck and congrats!

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone who returns lost and found gold deserves to find a gold coin. I hope the metal detecting gods are listening. Aw, heck, I'll go over and talk to 'em about it.

Good job, Earthling!

OP
OP
swagman

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
UPDATE!! UPDATE!!

Thanks every one, I have some more news on the ring. I was going to the High School ( Built 1924, now a middle School) but the librarian part was closed so I went down to the public library and checked out the Year books which were under lock and key. I was lucky to find that there was only one person of that year with the initials on the ring. He was quiet the academic too by the looks of it, class president, bell choir,wrestling, thespian...matching up with all the symbols on the ring. It was kind of neat seeing all the old black and white photo's of the graduates with the sixty hair styles and clothing, real clean cut Americans with values and morals........compare them to today's grads and it makes you wonder what went wrong over the years lol.

I checked out the local phone directory and as luck again would have it there was only one person there with the given surname, a quick phone call and a guy answered, after explaining the who, why and what's it turns out that the ring owner was this guys son. He now lives in San Diego California and could not believe we found his son's ring, he thought we were joking. Any way he gave his son a call and next minute we knew we got a call from his son.

After a brief conversation it was confirmed that the ring indeed was his and he was over joyed to know we found it, he thought he would never see it again after losing shortly after graduation. We told him we would make arrangement with his dad to pick up the ring. After further talks it appears they lived in the house we are now in back in 68' (we just moved in at Christmas) so now I know the original owners name and can do more research on this place and area. Plus I can ask him or his dad some questions concerning the house in general (I am trying to repair the original under ground sprinkler system)

Another phone call from the dad and it was confirmed he will be coming to pick up the ring at 10:30am tomorrow, looking forward to meeting him. The money value does not worry me, I don't want a reward or any thing. the wife and I just feel good to give some thing of a high personnel value back to some one and make them happy. My experience from all this is one of feeling good and excitement all in one bundle. Pay it forward people, it is good for the metal detecting hobby.

Sorry for the long winded post, thanks for reading and HH

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on finding the owner, and for making a friend to the hobby. You are a great person for paying it forward!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on many levels. First for finding a nice chunk of gold. That must have been a rush when you eventually realized it was gold. And second for returning the ring. I know a guy who found many a school ring, who never attempted a return.
Will vote honorable mention.

OP
OP
swagman

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Reunited!!!

Well the owner or should I say his dad came and picked up the ring, nice old guy and he was very happy to see the ring and get it for his son, he said his son only wore it a few times before losing it. He offered to take us out to dinner for our efforts but we kindly refused and said the reward was the return of the ring for us. Here is a pic for your pleasure until the next ring or what ever I find.......cheers HH

class ring 6.jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice I returned 2 class rings I didnt think they were worth that much ouch I just kicked myself

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
honorable mention for sure good diggins

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread