Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree207Likes

Thread: Fugio, Barber Half, 1600s Buckles, Eagle Button Surprise, Property Owner Shakedown

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2015
    ES of Maryland
    XP Deus Minelab Equinox
    7151 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Those are some nice buckles. Ive only found the fragments of the trapezoidal type but do have a few complete spectacle buckles. That would be a tough site to walk away from but I probably would. Ive never asked any landowners if they wanted to see my finds nor have they asked me.
    Favorite finds
    Silver Pomander c. 1700- 17th century buckles- Cut Pine Tree Shilling- Louis XIV 4 Sols- 10 Spanish Cobs- Cut Pistareen-1759 Half Real-colonial silver cufflinks-1781 Half Real-gold cufflink- 1814 Half Real-1827 & 1831 Mexico Republic One Reales-1830 Bust Dime-1852 Gold $1-40 Seated silvers-5 Trimes-1865 French 50 centimes love token- 6 gold rings

us
    Mar 2018
    New Jersey
    Fisher F5
    279 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Very nice finds. It makes me want to go back to the cellar hole on my dads property. That really stinks about the greedy property owner. My uncle is the same way. He has lived in the same house for 50 years, there are some old houses around him so I asked if I could detect it. He said sure, but if you find anything worth money its mine.
    Is it the thrill of the hunt or the fact that you get to play in the dirt.

us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    2840 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperj View Post
    ...and the next time I will give her my hourly rate that I would charge for retrieval and preservation of finds.
    That is an excellent suggestion. So is Trezurehunter's suggesting to the property owner that they buy their own detector. Might do to remind folks what an archaeological firm would charge to do the same thing.

Oh, and don't forget, if you have to turn over your finds, be sure to hand them all the trash that you've dug as well.

us
    Tony

May 2013
    City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
    Minelab explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
    5819 times
    Outstanding finds congrats ...
    Silver Tree Chaser likes this.

us
    Rust never rests

Mar 2009
    Sunman Indiana
    Whites XLT MINELAB SE
    2530 times
    That was some great hunting time spent with some awesome results, Too bad that woman was that greedy.I only had that happen twice in 50 years of detecting. I just shook my head and walked away.

Charter Member
    us
    art

Dec 2015
    Maryland's eastern shore
    whites MXTPro whites MXSport
    12991 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Congrats on some super finds. I have run into one land owner that wanted it all, I only hunted there once.
    Growing old is not for sissies I thought it would take longer to get old.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2005
    Choctaw Beach Florida
    Etrac, Equinox 800 and 600, tesoro Cibola with whites and minelab pinpointers
    1325 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Amazing finds! The Fugio seems to be on about everyone's bucket list.
    100% of finds really sounds ok till you pull them out of the ground.
    50/50 is of gold dug or family heirlooms returned is what I throw out .
    People usually think you will not find anything..
    God and country.

Aug 2006
    564 times
    Really nice finds. Love the early buckles.

Jun 2013
    581 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Good luck with that. I hope she realizes how much work it is to dig for 8 hours and comes to her senses

us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    4655 times
    FUGIO!!!! Can you believe they only have a left handed salute? Awesome find Hands down my favorite first penny colonial
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

Charter Member
    us
    I don't do this because I like it. I do this because I love it!

Apr 2017
    NEW ENGLAND
    Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F44, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
    1552 times
    Metal Detecting
    Really great finds. It would pain me to no end, while cleaning them up, only to have to give them away afterwards. Not only did it take 8 hours to discover, but by the looks of every one of your finds, you spent a considerable number of additional hours caring for them. Personally, I'd move on to other opportunities. GL&HH

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    13656 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    An old partner and I had a site along those lines - we had a corn field with a little history - we both got colonial on up every time we visited
    always checked in with the owner - he never asked for anything - but over the years other hunters asked permission and many hunters did not
    which po'ed the owner - after yrs he got suspicious - he did not understand why so many would want to hit his fields - we were the only ones that would take time to
    talk to him - back then he was a working doctor and we would only run into him as he was leaving for work when we got there early at sometimes when he got home
    - this is when he would walk out now and then and ask how we were doing - we always had at least 1 copper and many musket balls and buttons and would
    show him - we are more than happy to just dig these oldies - now and then getting a piece of Spanish silver but we got lots of coppers over the yrs. He started
    act funny one day and wondering why would travel so far for what we were finding. He asked right out "are you finding gold nuggets or something" I told him
    that its not so much what we are finding but what we could possibly find. My friend actually had heard of a gold coin coming out of there - but that was like in the 90s
    He said maybe he should not allow any hunting anymore - not cause of us but because of the others - others had said they saw us out there and that they thought it was ok for them
    - this has cost us others sites too. Sometimes farmers will say they did not appreciate telling our "friends" that they could go there - which they were no friends of ours.
    So we asked him if he did not want us up there any more. He said he only wanted us hunting when he was home. So next trip up - to show our appreciation - we decided
    to put together a ryker box with finds from field - we put balls, buttons, some worn coppers, IH's some barbers and newer silver found there over the yrs. This turned
    out to be a mistake - after we hit there for the day - he came out and wondered if we were giving him that - what were we hiding from him. We never mentioned the Spanish silver
    but we never got any that were worth much - I think over 20 yrs of hitting there a few times a yr. there was one coin worth over $100 - we like the spot cause we
    always got 1700s stuff and up. We didn't know what others were getting but we should never have offered the box when he never cared what we were finding.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    16740 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Great hunt, thank you for sharing!

Love the old coppers and buckles!

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Racine, Wi
    EQ600; Makro MK
    135 times
    If she insist on keeping everything then treat her like any contractor would. Send her a bill for services rendered, and when she fails to pay put a mechanic's lien on her house. I'm sure you did not do this for money but she is acting very unreasonable. That is such BS.

us
    Colonial relic hound

Jun 2015
    South Carolina
    Minelab Equinox 800
    3137 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    That's a great bunch of finds but too bad about the lady dog property owner. Sometimes doing the right thing will bite you in the back side (it's happened to me before) but don't let it discourage you. Most property owners are very appreciative when you give them relics and aren't greedy.
    2018 best finds:

- 1730 one real cob (Mexico City mint)
    - King George II half pennies (3)
    - Cut 1774 KG III half penny
    - 1787 Connecticut copper
    - 1868 two cent piece
    - 1867 shield nickel
    - 1838 & 1857 Seated Liberty half dimes
    - 1917 Walking Liberty half
    - Victorian mourning ring
    - Engraved silver cuff link and mourning cufflink
    - Partial 18th century short sword guard