Fugio, Barber Half, 1600s Buckles, Eagle Button Surprise, Property Owner Shakedown

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s been a while since I last posted some finds, so here are some highlights from several recent hunts and some comments. Feedback on the subject matter at the end of post are welcomed.

Despite exposure to the elements, this 1787 Fugio copper found on Saturday has just enough details for a variety ID. For pre-federal and early state-issued coppers, variety ID is a must, as even a corroded, unsightly copper can prove to be a tremendous recovery if you happen to recover an ultra-rare variety. This Fugio looked the part with club rays, but it proved to be a more common W-6505, Newman 10-T variety, as listed in Bowers’ book. It still beats a KGII by a whole lot. It’s the best preserved Fugio of the three that I’ve now recovered over the years. It was found at a cellar hole that offered up a GWI button last year.

P4160171.JPG

P4160186.JPG

Along with the Fugio, I recovered a nice, decorative dandy button only a few feet away. I haven’t found one as nice as this specimen in a few years. I also dug another copper nearby, but it was toasted. Finally, the site offered a silver coin. I was certain of it being a Liberty Seated coin, but it was a Barber dime perhaps dropped by a hunter. It was very dark with toning, but I cooked it with electrolysis, which always yields great results. See before and after images.

P4150150.JPG

P4150143.jpg

P4150141.JPG

P4150146.JPG

P4150148.JPG

Here’s a 1909 Barber Half from a farm field that’s offered up a few Spanish cobs years ago. The property owner is a 3rd generation farmer, so I gave him the coin. His grandad started the farm in 1913 and perhaps even lost the coin. I was glad to give it to him; his mother was born on the same year — 1909. I got the case for the coin online for about $2 a piece. It’s a good deal — the clear cover is glass and won’t scratch like gem cases.

P3250112.JPG

I’ve dug a small number of Civil War buttons over the years, but this one from another cellar hole came with a surprise. Along with a trace of gilt, the button’s loop held what I mistook for a root. It’s actually 160+ year old thread still tied in place! :icon_cyclops_ani: Now that soldier knew how to tie a knot. Along with the eagle button, I came upon a Civil War period lice comb while digging along the foundation. It’s made of ebonite, vulcanized natural rubber patented by Charles Goodyear in 1844. What’s not to know in the age of internet? This type of lice comb was typically carried by soldiers in the Civil War.

P4150156.JPG

P4150159.JPG

Another cellar hole, another find to keep me going. :icon_thumright: It’s a saloon token from 1863.

P4150160.JPG

P4150163.JPG

So last few finds are in a group shot below — two 17th century spur buckles, an 18th century shoe buckle, and perhaps a gun part owing to the GR (King George) stamp.

P4150165.JPG

And here’s the story behind these finds. These finds are from a promising site dating back to the 1640’s and now situated in a hay field. I rarely recover intact spur buckles from the 1600’s. I recovered other finds as well, but sadly no coins. I worked the site for a good eight hours, but I’m certain that a great deal more remains to be found. So what’s my problem? I like to be forthright with property owners, so disclose everything that I recover and understand that they might wish to have a portion of what is found or even half of everything, although such a request has never been made before — until now. The woman who owns the property wants all of it — everything. :-\ I have all the finds at this time, as I told that I would preserve it for her first. It’s now all cleaned up, and I’m going to let her have it — all of it. I have a few thoughts on the whole experience, but I’ll only share this one view — she’ll get 100% of what I’ve found, but 0% of everything else that still remains uncovered. I’m sure I could find a great deal more and would have been happy to share it equitably with the property owner, but as it stands at present, what remains buried on her property will never see the light of day. I will tell her exactly this respectfully. Perhaps she will have a change of heart, but I’m not sure of any further relations regardless of her repsponse. There’s more to the story than I care to relate. Thanks for looking and good hunting to all.

Upvote 60

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
I'd like to think that if I were to get permission to hunt someones property and they demanded all the finds after the fact and purely for monitory reasons, I'd happily tell them what I found, describe it's context and tell them in detail how much it was worth. And after all that was said and done, I'd fling everything as hard as I could back into the yard and over as wide an area as possible. Once their jaw was picked up from the floor, I'd offer to find everything for them once again, only this time it would be at an hourly rate.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think if I were you I would try to get one of those voodoo dolls that was found recently on here and give her one of those. lol

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to think that if I were to get permission to hunt someones property and they demanded all the finds after the fact and purely for monitory reasons, I'd happily tell them what I found, describe it's context and tell them in detail how much it was worth. And after all that was said and done, I'd fling everything as hard as I could back into the yard and over as wide an area as possible. Once their jaw was picked up from the floor, I'd offer to find everything for them once again, only this time it would be at an hourly rate.

Over the past week or two since returning what I found, your response seems to make more and more sense to me, but I think I'll avoid such thoughts, as best I can, and put my mind on finding new land to hunt and hopefully come up with some good finds to make this all a distant memory. But it hasn't been easy lately. I keep missing folks at home when I go door knocking, and on my last hunt to a cellar hole on public land, some jerk left dug huge holes all over the place. Making great finds often takes a lot of effort. How can such people expect to succeed excel in this hobby when they're too lazy to even fill their holes!

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think if I were you I would try to get one of those voodoo dolls that was found recently on here and give her one of those. lol

Worm-Slicer - I did one better! I found the gypsy who made MK4125's voodoo doll and had her curse one of the buttons that the property owner wanted back. I even took a photo.

gypsy curse.png
"With this flat button, I attach a horrible curse to plague whoever shall possess it - for they will suffer till the cold embrace of the grave!" :sad1::sad5::sad10:

PS - MK4125, she said she wants her doll back and mentioned something about god help you if you took the doll out of the bottle. :icon_pale:

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Worm-Slicer - I did one better! I found the gypsy who made MK4125's voodoo doll and had her curse one of the buttons that the property owner wanted back. I even took a photo.

View attachment 1586487
"With this flat button, I attach a horrible curse to plague whoever shall possess it - for they will suffer till the cold embrace of the grave!" :sad1::sad5::sad10:

PS - MK4125, she said she wants her doll back and mentioned something about god help you if you took the doll out of the bottle. :icon_pale:

Wahahha that's hilarious! That's one button she'll wish she never had. It won't be long until she'll be begging you to take back all of those relics. :headbang:

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wahahha that's hilarious! That's one button she'll wish she never had. It won't be long until she'll be begging you to take back all of those relics. :headbang:

Ha! This is awesome.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If if you haven’t been digging long enough to be overrun by the things you’ve dug then you haven’t been digging long enough.

have a great day!

BuckleBoy, I understand what you are saying, and since your "House is overrun with things" perhaps now would be a good time to return everything you have ever found? Including all of the 2018 Canefield Bandits Totals? I'm just saying......

Last edited by a moderator:

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Great digs, love that Fugio !!!

Your electrolysis worked great on that dime, what kind of setup do you have?

HH,
Cal

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs, love that Fugio !!!

Your electrolysis worked great on that dime, what kind of setup do you have?

HH,
Cal

Cal - For the electrolysis, I used simple baking soda with tap water and cooked it 45 seconds or so, then 30 seconds, then about 20 seconds till I was satisfied with the result. I wiped the coin down with mineral oil between cooks, and the dark toning comes off with ease. No heavy rubbing required. I use to scour with a paste of wet baking soda as a mild abrasive, but the oil does a much better job. I've had some great results with this method. Here's the end result on a Liberty Seated coin with dark toning that would have required a lot of physical cleaning (rubbing) to remove. Electrolysis and mineral oil works wonders. I showed electrolysis results for another coin with even better end results on Page 4, reply #60 of this thread. The power supply was just an old charger for a cellphone or portable radio. I used an large galvanized bolt for the anode (red/positive). Do not use stainless steel.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff but .... 50/50 or see ya later , personally , I would pass on this property .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread