Fugio, Barber Half, 1600s Buckles, Eagle Button Surprise, Property Owner Shakedown

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s been a while since I last posted some finds, so here are some highlights from several recent hunts and some comments. Feedback on the subject matter at the end of post are welcomed.

Despite exposure to the elements, this 1787 Fugio copper found on Saturday has just enough details for a variety ID. For pre-federal and early state-issued coppers, variety ID is a must, as even a corroded, unsightly copper can prove to be a tremendous recovery if you happen to recover an ultra-rare variety. This Fugio looked the part with club rays, but it proved to be a more common W-6505, Newman 10-T variety, as listed in Bowers’ book. It still beats a KGII by a whole lot. It’s the best preserved Fugio of the three that I’ve now recovered over the years. It was found at a cellar hole that offered up a GWI button last year.

P4160171.JPG

P4160186.JPG

Along with the Fugio, I recovered a nice, decorative dandy button only a few feet away. I haven’t found one as nice as this specimen in a few years. I also dug another copper nearby, but it was toasted. Finally, the site offered a silver coin. I was certain of it being a Liberty Seated coin, but it was a Barber dime perhaps dropped by a hunter. It was very dark with toning, but I cooked it with electrolysis, which always yields great results. See before and after images.

P4150150.JPG

P4150143.jpg

P4150141.JPG

P4150146.JPG

P4150148.JPG

Here’s a 1909 Barber Half from a farm field that’s offered up a few Spanish cobs years ago. The property owner is a 3rd generation farmer, so I gave him the coin. His grandad started the farm in 1913 and perhaps even lost the coin. I was glad to give it to him; his mother was born on the same year — 1909. I got the case for the coin online for about $2 a piece. It’s a good deal — the clear cover is glass and won’t scratch like gem cases.

P3250112.JPG

I’ve dug a small number of Civil War buttons over the years, but this one from another cellar hole came with a surprise. Along with a trace of gilt, the button’s loop held what I mistook for a root. It’s actually 160+ year old thread still tied in place! :icon_cyclops_ani: Now that soldier knew how to tie a knot. Along with the eagle button, I came upon a Civil War period lice comb while digging along the foundation. It’s made of ebonite, vulcanized natural rubber patented by Charles Goodyear in 1844. What’s not to know in the age of internet? This type of lice comb was typically carried by soldiers in the Civil War.

P4150156.JPG

P4150159.JPG

Another cellar hole, another find to keep me going. :icon_thumright: It’s a saloon token from 1863.

P4150160.JPG

P4150163.JPG

So last few finds are in a group shot below — two 17th century spur buckles, an 18th century shoe buckle, and perhaps a gun part owing to the GR (King George) stamp.

P4150165.JPG

And here’s the story behind these finds. These finds are from a promising site dating back to the 1640’s and now situated in a hay field. I rarely recover intact spur buckles from the 1600’s. I recovered other finds as well, but sadly no coins. I worked the site for a good eight hours, but I’m certain that a great deal more remains to be found. So what’s my problem? I like to be forthright with property owners, so disclose everything that I recover and understand that they might wish to have a portion of what is found or even half of everything, although such a request has never been made before — until now. The woman who owns the property wants all of it — everything. :-\ I have all the finds at this time, as I told that I would preserve it for her first. It’s now all cleaned up, and I’m going to let her have it — all of it. I have a few thoughts on the whole experience, but I’ll only share this one view — she’ll get 100% of what I’ve found, but 0% of everything else that still remains uncovered. I’m sure I could find a great deal more and would have been happy to share it equitably with the property owner, but as it stands at present, what remains buried on her property will never see the light of day. I will tell her exactly this respectfully. Perhaps she will have a change of heart, but I’m not sure of any further relations regardless of her repsponse. There’s more to the story than I care to relate. Thanks for looking and good hunting to all.

Upvote 60

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually have a potential site that's very much like that. It's a mid 1700's tavern that's located on what was a very important road and is now a house owned by a close family member of some dear friends. It's been offered to me as a place to hunt, but the owner wants to keep everything I might find. As incredible as the finds would probably be; I have almost no desire to hunt there and I've expressed as much to my friends.

One was actually somewhat offended that I wouldn't search there and initially I had a hard time explaining my feelings towards it. What I finally ended up with was that (at least for me personally) each object I recover detecting has some level of sentimentality attached proportional to how unique, historic, old, or interesting it ends up being. Even if it's something common like a flat button; there's still the fact that it's a piece from another century that was lost and has now been found through my efforts. I give away many of the pieces I find so obviously I don't feel the need to keep everything that comes out of the ground, but to conduct a hunt and not be able to keep a single piece would leave me with no connection to that hunt. Nothing to hold and remember the precise signal it made and the precise spot that it was dug. It would be like it didn't happen. And why spend hours of time finding things only to be left feeling like you lost something?

Plenty of other woods and fields out there to swing across my friend.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made some really nice finds. Congratulations.
I would be livid at that kind of greed.
My neighbor's son owns a 75 acre farm in Virginia. He also leases 300 acres. Both parcels are part of a location where a battle took place during the Civil War.
As far as he knows, nobody has metal detected on his land. The last time he visited, (Christmas), he was open to me hunting it. His stepmother told me that his wife suddenly wants half of everything I find. Unless something changes, I won't be swinging a coil over that dirt.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With those great finds I would only imagine what is waiting to be found. We have never had anyone as well asking for everything we have found even though we show them everything. Certainly a perplexing situation and I am not sure I would go back as well. It would be rough handing over a rare piece of history unless it was going to be shared for everyone to see like a museum or such. Not sure what she would want with it. But still, I commend you on the items you have preserved for her. Hopefully she rethinks her desire to have you do all the work for no return. We have an attachment as well to what we have found......the history is priceless!!!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s too bad my friend. To go out and spend hours working through signals and digging up trash to recover a few nice pieces then hand them all over is a tough pill to swallow. Especially when you find up finding sonething like a Mass silver or a draped silver or similar. Then you really get pushed into a moral dilemma. I hope she bends a bit. Good luck pal

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read that "Fugio" means "I fly". It is in reference to the sundial in the center. "Time flies" is the point they are trying too make. Gary

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The “gun part” is the key hole cover to an old padlock... I believe.

Very well done on all of the nice finds. That Fugio is really sweet!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve heard of property owners getting greedy but I’ve never dealt with it personally. No unsolicited advise here, but I hope things can get worked out. As for the finds...those buckles are incredible. Both on my list - even a fragment would do:)

Good hunts

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The “gun part” is the key hole cover to an old padlock... I believe.

Very well done on all of the nice finds. That Fugio is really sweet!

Your right on the key hole cover, the top has been bent off that's all so it throws off the look.

Well done on the recoveries especially the old copper, and the lice comb is a cool relic.

It's a real hard one to sallow when the land owner has the palm turned up, and not willing to share. That's where it would stay with me, in the up position and empty as I don't indulge in working for hours only to give it all away.
Sure I'll beat myself silly hunting for something they lost, jewellery, tractor parts, property stakes, family related are all handed over with a smile and without remorse.
I have permissions of a church and a school in a hamlet that have never been detected and the owner wants everything, I have no desire to dig for the sake of just to digging, it might happen when I run through my other 5000 acres of permissions.
She's mentioned it a couple of times now, and the next time I will give her my hourly rate that I would charge for retrieval and preservation of finds.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well silver tree chaser those are all great finds. I and all other people that swing their metal detectors to bring back and save history appreciate what you’re doing. Don’t stop. You deserve better. You are not just digging and saving them, you are preserving them in a proper manner. Thanks for sharing.

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds!

I've never run into anyone that wanted everything but on the rare occasion someone wants a portion of anything is found I tell them the truth, "I have a lot of different relics already, you can keep anything I don't already have one of". Folks that aren't into detecting have ideas that relics are worth vast sums of money; they'll be surprised when they look up the value of whatever you give them and usually it isn't an issue anymore.

Our time hunting is too valuable to walk away with nothing unless we're doing a specific recovery for someone. imo

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
c04657febc96e662c8d55cacaad091dc.jpg df65065ecf9c6abefd922865fc5490d4.jpg

Now we're metal detecting. Super finds.Congrats

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some excellent finds. I hope your story ends well. Sounds like the lady wants you to do all the work so she can benefit. I'd see what your next outcome will be. You might just have to tell her to go buy her own metal detector.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some nice buckles. Ive only found the fragments of the trapezoidal type but do have a few complete spectacle buckles. That would be a tough site to walk away from but I probably would. Ive never asked any landowners if they wanted to see my finds nor have they asked me.

Oldhead

Mar 21, 2018
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds. It makes me want to go back to the cellar hole on my dads property. That really stinks about the greedy property owner. My uncle is the same way. He has lived in the same house for 50 years, there are some old houses around him so I asked if I could detect it. He said sure, but if you find anything worth money its mine.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and the next time I will give her my hourly rate that I would charge for retrieval and preservation of finds.

That is an excellent suggestion. So is Trezurehunter's suggesting to the property owner that they buy their own detector. Might do to remind folks what an archaeological firm would charge to do the same thing.

Oh, and don't forget, if you have to turn over your finds, be sure to hand them all the trash that you've dug as well.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was some great hunting time spent with some awesome results, Too bad that woman was that greedy.I only had that happen twice in 50 years of detecting. I just shook my head and walked away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread