Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree207Likes

Thread: Fugio, Barber Half, 1600s Buckles, Eagle Button Surprise, Property Owner Shakedown

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Fugio, Barber Half, 1600s Buckles, Eagle Button Surprise, Property Owner Shakedown

Itís been a while since I last posted some finds, so here are some highlights from several recent hunts and some comments. Feedback on the subject matter at the end of post are welcomed.

Despite exposure to the elements, this 1787 Fugio copper found on Saturday has just enough details for a variety ID. For pre-federal and early state-issued coppers, variety ID is a must, as even a corroded, unsightly copper can prove to be a tremendous recovery if you happen to recover an ultra-rare variety. This Fugio looked the part with club rays, but it proved to be a more common W-6505, Newman 10-T variety, as listed in Bowersí book. It still beats a KGII by a whole lot. Itís the best preserved Fugio of the three that Iíve now recovered over the years. It was found at a cellar hole that offered up a GWI button last year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4160171.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	619.7 KB 
ID:	1579010

Name:	P4160186.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	3.83 MB 
ID:	1579011

Along with the Fugio, I recovered a nice, decorative dandy button only a few feet away. I havenít found one as nice as this specimen in a few years. I also dug another copper nearby, but it was toasted. Finally, the site offered a silver coin. I was certain of it being a Liberty Seated coin, but it was a Barber dime perhaps dropped by a hunter. It was very dark with toning, but I cooked it with electrolysis, which always yields great results. See before and after images.

Name:	P4150150.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	1579004

Name:	P4150143.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	1579001

Name:	P4150141.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	1579000

Name:	P4150146.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	1579002

Name:	P4150148.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	1579003

Hereís a 1909 Barber Half from a farm field thatís offered up a few Spanish cobs years ago. The property owner is a 3rd generation farmer, so I gave him the coin. His grandad started the farm in 1913 and perhaps even lost the coin. I was glad to give it to him; his mother was born on the same year ó 1909. I got the case for the coin online for about $2 a piece. Itís a good deal ó the clear cover is glass and wonít scratch like gem cases.

Name:	P3250112.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	1578999

Iíve dug a small number of Civil War buttons over the years, but this one from another cellar hole came with a surprise. Along with a trace of gilt, the buttonís loop held what I mistook for a root. Itís actually 160+ year old thread still tied in place! Now that soldier knew how to tie a knot. Along with the eagle button, I came upon a Civil War period lice comb while digging along the foundation. Itís made of ebonite, vulcanized natural rubber patented by Charles Goodyear in 1844. Whatís not to know in the age of internet? This type of lice comb was typically carried by soldiers in the Civil War.

Name:	P4150156.JPG 
Size:	635.8 KB 
ID:	1579005

Name:	P4150159.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	624.2 KB 
ID:	1579006

Another cellar hole, another find to keep me going. Itís a saloon token from 1863.

Name:	P4150160.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	631.2 KB 
ID:	1579007

Name:	P4150163.JPG 
Size:	645.1 KB 
ID:	1579008

So last few finds are in a group shot below ó two 17th century spur buckles, an 18th century shoe buckle, and perhaps a gun part owing to the GR (King George) stamp.

Name:	P4150165.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	622.3 KB 
ID:	1579009

And hereís the story behind these finds. These finds are from a promising site dating back to the 1640ís and now situated in a hay field. I rarely recover intact spur buckles from the 1600ís. I recovered other finds as well, but sadly no coins. I worked the site for a good eight hours, but Iím certain that a great deal more remains to be found. So whatís my problem? I like to be forthright with property owners, so disclose everything that I recover and understand that they might wish to have a portion of what is found or even half of everything, although such a request has never been made before ó until now. The woman who owns the property wants all of it ó everything. I have all the finds at this time, as I told that I would preserve it for her first. Itís now all cleaned up, and Iím going to let her have it ó all of it. I have a few thoughts on the whole experience, but Iíll only share this one view ó sheíll get 100% of what Iíve found, but 0% of everything else that still remains uncovered. Iím sure I could find a great deal more and would have been happy to share it equitably with the property owner, but as it stands at present, what remains buried on her property will never see the light of day. I will tell her exactly this respectfully. Perhaps she will have a change of heart, but Iím not sure of any further relations regardless of her repsponse. Thereís more to the story than I care to relate. Thanks for looking and good hunting to all.
    got Mass Silver?

us
    Max

Aug 2016
    Upstate, NY
    2159 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    I actually have a potential site that's very much like that. It's a mid 1700's tavern that's located on what was a very important road and is now a house owned by a close family member of some dear friends. It's been offered to me as a place to hunt, but the owner wants to keep everything I might find. As incredible as the finds would probably be; I have almost no desire to hunt there and I've expressed as much to my friends.

One was actually somewhat offended that I wouldn't search there and initially I had a hard time explaining my feelings towards it. What I finally ended up with was that (at least for me personally) each object I recover detecting has some level of sentimentality attached proportional to how unique, historic, old, or interesting it ends up being. Even if it's something common like a flat button; there's still the fact that it's a piece from another century that was lost and has now been found through my efforts. I give away many of the pieces I find so obviously I don't feel the need to keep everything that comes out of the ground, but to conduct a hunt and not be able to keep a single piece would leave me with no connection to that hunt. Nothing to hold and remember the precise signal it made and the precise spot that it was dug. It would be like it didn't happen. And why spend hours of time finding things only to be left feeling like you lost something?

Plenty of other woods and fields out there to swing across my friend.

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    16375 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    You made some really nice finds. Congratulations.
    I would be livid at that kind of greed.
    My neighbor's son owns a 75 acre farm in Virginia. He also leases 300 acres. Both parcels are part of a location where a battle took place during the Civil War.
    As far as he knows, nobody has metal detected on his land. The last time he visited, (Christmas), he was open to me hunting it. His stepmother told me that his wife suddenly wants half of everything I find. Unless something changes, I won't be swinging a coil over that dirt.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

us
    Sep 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Minelab CTX 3030, Whites DFX
    3543 times
    Metal Detecting
    Fun finds and stories. Generous to give up the barber half. Thanks for sharing!!

us
    Feb 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Whites, MXT.
    3418 times
    Incredible finds man !

Charter Member
    us
    bolle

Sep 2014
    W. Nevada / N. CA
    XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
    2134 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    With those great finds I would only imagine what is waiting to be found. We have never had anyone as well asking for everything we have found even though we show them everything. Certainly a perplexing situation and I am not sure I would go back as well. It would be rough handing over a rare piece of history unless it was going to be shared for everyone to see like a museum or such. Not sure what she would want with it. But still, I commend you on the items you have preserved for her. Hopefully she rethinks her desire to have you do all the work for no return. We have an attachment as well to what we have found......the history is priceless!!!!
    We might not be able to take it with us; but at least we can enjoy it after finding it!!!

us
    Oct 2013
    Topsham, Maine
    Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
    7688 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Thatís too bad my friend. To go out and spend hours working through signals and digging up trash to recover a few nice pieces then hand them all over is a tough pill to swallow. Especially when you find up finding sonething like a Mass silver or a draped silver or similar. Then you really get pushed into a moral dilemma. I hope she bends a bit. Good luck pal
    "Life which is lived without zest and adventure-is not life at all."
    -F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, British Explorer
    2017 BEST FINDS
    -1723 KG1
    -Colonial Cufflinks
    Oldest Coin To Date: 1652 Pine Tree Shilling NOE 29
    Colonial Silver To Date: 11
    Hammered Coins To Date: 1664 Potosi Mint COB
    1653 Copper Cob

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    441 times
    Metal Detecting
    I read that "Fugio" means "I fly". It is in reference to the sundial in the center. "Time flies" is the point they are trying too make. Gary

us
    Silver Coin Fiend

Apr 2014
    Charlotte
    XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
    14002 times
    Digging In Strangers Front Yards
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The “gun part” is the key hole cover to an old padlock... I believe.

Very well done on all of the nice finds. That Fugio is really sweet!

Charter Member
    us
    Detect smarter, not harder.

Mar 2014
    17th century
    Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
    12347 times
    FOUNDING MEMBER: Basstards of Bramble
    Banner Finds (5)
    Iíve heard of property owners getting greedy but Iíve never dealt with it personally. No unsolicited advise here, but I hope things can get worked out. As for the finds...those buckles are incredible. Both on my list - even a fragment would do

Good hunts

"Take the detecta-drama elsewhere - I'm just here to dig!"

Running totals:

Hammered Silvers - 2
    Hammered Coppers - 1
    Milled Spanish Silver - 14
    Transitional US State Coppers - 9
    United States Cent/Half cent Coppers - 131
    British & Other colonial Coppers - 107
    Slick coppers - too painful to talk about
    Silver Coins - Weíll over a 1000

Favourite Finds:
    1665 1-reale Spanish Cob
    Revolutionary War stirrup
    1812 2nd Regiment Artillarists pewter button
    1695 Willam 3rd Halfpenny in excellent condition
    G.W. Inagural Buttons - 6 Point Estoile cuff variety
    Love token etched on 1859 seated Dime
    1831 Louis Phillippe 1st - 5 Franc
    1783 Nova Constelatio, Crosby-3C &. Crosby-1B
    1749 Regal King George II Farthing
    1776 Counter King George iii

If it ain't at least seated, it aint Sh*t

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    16294 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Tom View Post
    The “gun part” is the key hole cover to an old padlock... I believe.

Very well done on all of the nice finds. That Fugio is really sweet!
    Your right on the key hole cover, the top has been bent off that's all so it throws off the look.

Well done on the recoveries especially the old copper, and the lice comb is a cool relic.

It's a real hard one to sallow when the land owner has the palm turned up, and not willing to share. That's where it would stay with me, in the up position and empty as I don't indulge in working for hours only to give it all away.
    Sure I'll beat myself silly hunting for something they lost, jewellery, tractor parts, property stakes, family related are all handed over with a smile and without remorse.
    I have permissions of a church and a school in a hamlet that have never been detected and the owner wants everything, I have no desire to dig for the sake of just to digging, it might happen when I run through my other 5000 acres of permissions.
    She's mentioned it a couple of times now, and the next time I will give her my hourly rate that I would charge for retrieval and preservation of finds.

ca
    Hawks88

Aug 2012
    Niagara falls
    Equinox 600, Garrett euro ace , fisher gold bug pro
    1599 times
    Well silver tree chaser those are all great finds. I and all other people that swing their metal detectors to bring back and save history appreciate what you’re doing. Don’t stop. You deserve better. You are not just digging and saving them, you are preserving them in a proper manner. Thanks for sharing.

us
    Dan

Feb 2016
    Petersburg Virginia
    Deus, Others
    1290 times
    Relic Hunting
    Nice finds!

I've never run into anyone that wanted everything but on the rare occasion someone wants a portion of anything is found I tell them the truth, "I have a lot of different relics already, you can keep anything I don't already have one of". Folks that aren't into detecting have ideas that relics are worth vast sums of money; they'll be surprised when they look up the value of whatever you give them and usually it isn't an issue anymore.

Our time hunting is too valuable to walk away with nothing unless we're doing a specific recovery for someone. imo
    Dig it!

us
    Rook

Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    AT Pro, Fisher F75 Limited, White M6, XP Deus Lesche hand digger,Lesche Predator shovel.NEL Storm and Tornado coils.
    1615 times

Name:	c04657febc96e662c8d55cacaad091dc.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	278.4 KB 
ID:	1579033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	df65065ecf9c6abefd922865fc5490d4.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	256.6 KB 
ID:	1579034

Now we're metal detecting. Super finds.Congrats
    Words not spoken never have to be defended

Those are some excellent finds. I hope your story ends well. Sounds like the lady wants you to do all the work so she can benefit. I'd see what your next outcome will be. You might just have to tell her to go buy her own metal detector.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links