Today I Went Back Over A Site With My Deus To See What My CTX Missed

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got to the site around 8:30 and started searching the site along the sidewalk and driveway. My first target, I got a 93/94 ID reading using 12 kHz. At first I thought it might be a pry-cap, so I slowly started raising and swinging the search coil over the target and numbers didn't drop and audio got softer. Oh Hell, I got big silver under my search coil! I carefully pinpointed and then dug a nice size plug. I flipped the plug over and saw a silver rim, a 1968 Kennedy Half Dollar. It's not a Morgan, but I'll take it.

Now how did the Deus find that half dollar and the CTX missed it? It was because the driveway had steel rebar in it and the CTX couldn't get as close to the edge of the driveway as the Deus could. I think that the CTX and Deus are going to make a great team working together.

I found a few more interesting items, a steel comb, a old button and a thimble along with some clad and wheat pennies. I dug a bit more trash today chasing gold rings. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, after I dug the first target I had to raise my kHz setting from 12 to 18 because of the EMI.

In my 3 hunts at that site I found 4 Mercury dimes, 2 Rosie dimes, 2 Standing Liberty Quarters, a Buffalo Nickel, a Kennedy Half Dollar, and bunch of wheat pennies and clad coins. I'd consider that a good site but I wouldn't want to detect it again.

Oh and for the good part! As I was detecting a 83 year old lady came walking across the street towards me and I greeted her with friendly, how's your day going? She said just fine. I had good 15 to 20 minute conversation with her and found out that she and her husband metal detected years ago, but they didn't do so well at it. Also that they enjoy watching the show Diggers. We talked about everything under the Sun and I found her to super sharp and very knowledgeable.

Any how, I finally popped the question, would you mind if I detect your front yard? She replied, sure you can just make sure that you cut good plugs and put them back in the ground good. I told her that cut good plugs. I also told her that I wouldn't be starting her yard today and it would probably take me a couple of days to detect it properly. She said that would be fine with her and for me not to forget that the backyard is huge and that I should detect it as was well.

Which detector should I start with first? I'll have to give it some thought.

tabman

Attachments

• IMG_2147.JPG
    IMG_2147.JPG
    709.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2149.JPG
    IMG_2149.JPG
    419.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2150.JPG
    IMG_2150.JPG
    759.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2151.JPG
    IMG_2151.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2152.JPG
    IMG_2152.JPG
    305.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2153.JPG
    IMG_2153.JPG
    282.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2154.JPG
    IMG_2154.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2155.JPG
    IMG_2155.JPG
    358.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2156.JPG
    IMG_2156.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 54
Upvote 20

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Good THANKS for sharing !!! What program settings were you using ?

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very Good THANKS for sharing !!! What program settings were you using ?
Thanks!
Deus Program Settings
Built From Deus Fast
Coins 1
Disc 0.0
Full Tones
Sens 87
Tx Power 2
Frequency 11.7 move to 18 because of EMI
Iron Vol 1
Reactivity 2
Silencer -1
Audio Response 4
Audio Overload 1
Notch 00-00

tabman

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Which detector should I start with first? I'll have to give it some thought.[/LEFT]tabman

Well, I'd be swapping out the machines, do the Deus for the first round and compare the difference in new finds. Certainly be a test for machines

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deus. Doesn't weigh as much and it smiles at your a lot!:laughing7:

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Cool story and thanks for the comparison of machines. Looking forward to seeing your hunt of the neighbors yard. Good luck.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Tab...Man, I'm sure glad my detecting grounds aren't near yours! Of course, you're suckin' so much silver out of the ground, you're probably pulling it from where I live! Now that's depth AND distance! Congrats on your pile of clinkety-clink silver...that Kennedy cleaned up NICE. And your casual gift of gab came in handy..again, can't wait to see what comes out your new permission. Congrats on a great day...Ddf

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great that you were able to get a nice big silver out of the site with the Deus. It just shows that one machine can't do it all it seems.
Swinging something that only weighs a couple of pounds is a bonus also.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deus. Doesn't weigh as much and it smiles at your a lot!:laughing7:
It sure does! It just amazes me what that little detector does.

Cool story and thanks for the comparison of machines. Looking forward to seeing your hunt of the neighbors yard. Good luck.
Thanks! I'm going to hit the neighbor's yard today, since it's Saturday and other neighbor's will be at home and out and about in their yards.

Nicely done on all counts ! Silver Kennedy halfs don't get dug up too often .
Thanks! They say that Kennedy is harder to find than a Walker. I sure has been that way with me.

Wow some nice finds there.
Thanks!

Very nice hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:
Thanks!

Man. You are unbelievable. I'm impressed!
Thanks! I even impress myself every once in awhile. lol

WTG Tab...Man, I'm sure glad my detecting grounds aren't near yours! Of course, you're suckin' so much silver out of the ground, you're probably pulling it from where I live! Now that's depth AND distance! Congrats on your pile of clinkety-clink silver...that Kennedy cleaned up NICE. And your casual gift of gab came in handy..again, can't wait to see what comes out your new permission. Congrats on a great day...Ddf
Thanks! It's mostly about getting good permissions to detect.

Great that you were able to get a nice big silver out of the site with the Deus. It just shows that one machine can't do it all it seems.
Swinging something that only weighs a couple of pounds is a bonus also.
Thanks! The Deus sure is fun to swing and it finds a lot of targets as well!

tabman

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love it! Can’t wait to see what that yard produces. That half is pretty hard to find in the wild,Ive never found a Kennedy silver half,no matter the percentage.
Well done Tabman! That should make you smile for awhile...:occasion14:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm glad most folks just can't understand why we metal detect.Congrats on a great day.:occasion14:

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love it! Can’t wait to see what that yard produces. That half is pretty hard to find in the wild,Ive never found a Kennedy silver half,no matter the percentage.
Well done Tabman! That should make you smile for awhile...:occasion14:
Thanks! I'm getting ready to head out to the new permission here in a few minutes. It could be a winner or a dude. I know here pretty soon, especially if I start finding a lot wheat pennies or silver from the get go.

I'm glad most folks just can't understand why we metal detect.Congrats on a great day.:occasion14:
Most people don't understand why we crawl around on our knees digging plugs in the ground. They just don't get it. They think you have to find some great treasure to make it worth while. I usually tell them that metal detecting is no different than someone going out and buying a $20,000 fishing boat and catching 8 inch bream all day long. The bream aren't worth all that much but they sure are fun to catch. My dirt fishing doesn't nearly as much and it's just as fun.

tabman

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats on the big silver. gotta love this sport, you just never know what you will find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread