Upvote 5
OP
OP
A

acebopper

Apr 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was in a box of coins that I bought at a bootsale a week ago.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The helmet in left field on reverse may be the mint-mark of Mesembria, not sure. One issue I see is the hole under Zeus' extended forearm which suggests the coin was cast and not struck, in which case it is a counterfeit/tourist copy.

OP
OP
A

acebopper

Apr 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The helmet in left field on reverse may be the mint-mark of Mesembria, not sure. One issue I see is the hole under Zeus' extended forearm which suggests the coin was cast and not struck, in which case it is a counterfeit/tourist copy.

Hole is not a cast blow hole, it is from a sharp object, It is pure silver and totally original and not a fake.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all due respect, how do you know that "It is pure silver and totally original and not a fake" when you came here not even knowing what it was? Were the other coins in the box ancient coins as well, with reliable collection/identification info? While the pictures are a bit blurry, the hole has rounded edges, consistent with a casting flaw and inconsistent with being poked by something sharp. In the strange lighting of your pictures the coin appears to be made of Pewter, but perhaps some better pictures and natural lighting would help the experts here provide a solid identification. Alexander tetradrachms are some of the most widely counterfeited coins in the world, ancient or otherwise (with better ones made from essentially pure silver, so that alone isn't proof of authenticity), so outside the context of reputable coin dealer inventory and wisely assembled collections random loose examples require some scrutiny.

It may well be authentic, but without better pics/info/weight it is one that I as an ancient coin collector would take a pass on.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do I see the word COPY under his chin at the border; or it is my imagination?
Don.......
Yeap maybe but we need better macro pictures?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions