French & Indian War, Rev War, The Diggers, and Disaster!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
French & Indian War Relics, Rev War Relics, The Diggers, and Disaster!!

I have been out to several places recently In search of French & Indian War, Rev War, and Whiskey Rebellion relics. I’ll start with the earliest stuff and work my way up.

These relics are from a French & Indian War Encampment that a couple of us have tried to find for a while. Some sources said it was obliterated by strip mining. My friend Jim finally stumbled into it recently, and invited me to hunt with him since we were actually within a hundred yards of it once.

Encampment All.JPG

I managed to eyeball a nice gunflint which looks beautiful against the sun

Gunflint.jpg

Here are a couple .69 caliber Brown Bess Musket Balls

Ball in dirt.jpg Ball in Dirt 2.jpg

I also found a toasted King George II, which are always fun to find, even in this condition.

KG front.jpg KG Back.jpg

The next place was a fort used during the Rev War, primarily for protection from raiding Indian parties. I had known about this place for 20 years, but only recently decided to check it out. The property owners said there have been 10 – 15 people there in the last 6 years, including the Diggers TV show. Still I was able to find a few things – including three tombac buttons, a saddle strap guide escutcheon, some musketballs and a piece of colonial silver.

Fort All.jpg

We are always searching for what those who went before us left behind.
This is an exception to that rule :laughing7:

Diggers F.jpg Diggers.jpg

I also spent some time Saturday looking for a Whiskey Rebellion encampment which turned into a disaster for me, since all I ended up with was a bad case of poison ivy!
Ivy.jpg
During the course of looking for old stuff, newer stuff will inevitably appear. One of the dimes is a 1949-S, which is the second lowest mintage of the series, but still not worth much.

New Stuff.jpg

Finally, on the plus side I did cash in my copper, brass, and lead scrap over the weekend and collected a crisp new Benji $$

Scrap.jpg Scrap Receipt.jpg

Thanks for looking and good luck out there!

Last edited:
Upvote 25

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have great skill at finding the real old dirt in W PA. Looks like a series of very successful hunts. The KG is always cool to find on the far side of PA. And the big musket balls confirm your research.

I don't want to hear about poison ivy yet, you must have gotten into some vines or roots. The ticks are tuff enough this year to start thinking about poison ivy or eventually the mosquitos.

Congrats on your recoveries, nice additions to your collection!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like how the scrap adds up.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice bunch of finds

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have great skill at finding the real old dirt in W PA. Looks like a series of very successful hunts. The KG is always cool to find on the far side of PA. And the big musket balls confirm your research.

I don't want to hear about poison ivy yet, you must have gotten into some vines or roots. The ticks are tuff enough this year to start thinking about poison ivy or eventually the mosquitos.

Congrats on your recoveries, nice additions to your collection!
I must have dug into vines & roots, but I have no idea how it penetrated two long sleeved shirts :dontknow: On top of that I wore the same shirts when I went out Sunday!!

billpa

Sep 12, 2010
Out Diggin Silver
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO,DFX DX-1, CLASSIC 111, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds you dug there.Sounds like a great place to hunt.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OLE GEORGE LOOKS KINDA ROUGH, NICE FINDS

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Enjoyed the post Steve! Congrats on getting into the French and Indian site you have been seeking. I bet it was a great feeling to be finally digging on that site. The .69 cal balls are cool finds too.
Getting cash for that scrap was nice!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to the pharmacy and buy a bottle of Tec-Nu. Wash gently but repeatedly with the stuff and you can remove it. I've used it many times and it's a life saver. There are 4 species of poison ivy type plants in the US. Poison ivy, and poison oak. There is an eastern version of those two and a western version also. The western stuff is the worst. The Tec-Nu works good on the eastern but not so good on the western. Gary

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job, nice finds, I like that flint

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds. I keep my eye open for flints but have never found one. I find arrowheads fairly regularly; they are often white flint in my neck of the woods so they stick out nice.. or maybe I ONLY see the white ones. hmmm

Your salvage receipt is a note for us all; we dig it up anyway.. might as well get paid for it. No matter what we use it will eventually wear out or become obsolete. We have a fortunate hobby in that it pays for itself- (financially some) and greatly from satisfaction. I dug up a large abandoned copper cable a while back that I had to leave. There had to be hundreds of pounds of it. I didn't have anything to cut it with and it was too heavy to carry through the steep terrain. Maybe I need to take some cutters with me next time.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Great research on you guys part too.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atta boy Steve , ya done good ! Well almost , the poison ivy is no fun , plenty of calamine .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I keep my eye open for flints but have never found one. I find arrowheads fairly regularly; they are often white flint in my neck of the woods so they stick out nice.. or maybe I ONLY see the white ones. hmmm

Your salvage receipt is a note for us all; we dig it up anyway.. might as well get paid for it. No matter what we use it will eventually wear out or become obsolete. We have a fortunate hobby in that it pays for itself- (financially some) and greatly from satisfaction. I dug up a large abandoned copper cable a while back that I had to leave. There had to be hundreds of pounds of it. I didn't have anything to cut it with and it was too heavy to carry through the steep terrain. Maybe I need to take some cutters with me next time.
If you are hunting Civil War sites in the Petersburg area, you are unlikely to find a gun flint. Although some confederates carried flintlocks early in the war, they were long gone by the Petersburg campaign. However, you will have a better change of finding one in a Rev War site down toward Yorktown. Yes, white quartz seems to be the primary lithic material for arrowheads in the coastal mid Atlantic area. You sometimes see a brownish quartz material here in SW PA, but we mainly see different grades of chert and some Flint Ridge material from Ohio.

Attachments

• Points.jpg
    Points.jpg
    832.4 KB · Views: 34

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread