Rainy day hunt-5th regiment of foot button!

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back out today in the rain for a little bit. I hit the same spot that I found the pewter spoon at. I got a large button,and a 5th regiment of foot button , my 3rd from this area. I love this hobby! IMG_20180425_110148627.jpg IMG_20180425_132643298_crop_687x624.jpg IMG_20180425_131437837_crop_335x378.jpg IMG_20180425_131452408_crop_302x320.jpg

Upvote 21

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the 5th Regt. button. That one is in great condition despite having an iron wire shank.

OP
OP
creade

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the 5th Regt. button. That one is in great condition despite having an iron wire shank.

Thanks ,it was in the same area as the pewter spoon I dug.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the great looking button, here's a little section I gleamed from the link regarding the 5th.

The 5th Regiment was the only Fusilier (a regiment armed with a fusil, a light, flintlock musket) corps authorized to wear a plume. [***] All belts were pipe-clayed and all buttons were bright. Pewter buttons of enlisted men found at Fort Niagara bear an Arabic numeral '5' within a broken circle. Earlier buttons of the same regiment found at Michilimackinac contained a Roman numeral 'V'. Officers' buttons were silver-plated and bore the Roman numeral 'V' encircled by the laurel-wreath.
military2p11.jpg
[SIZE=-1][COLOR=#00000]Buttons of 5th Regt: Roman Numerals - Officers; Arabic Numerals - Enlisted Men:

[/COLOR][/SIZE]
http://www.uppercanadahistory.ca/military/military2.html​

Early Canada Historical Narratives -- 5TH REGIMENT OF FOOT

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, and condition.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great looking button, here's a little section I gleamed from the link regarding the 5th.

The 5th Regiment was the only Fusilier (a regiment armed with a fusil, a light, flintlock musket) corps authorized to wear a plume. [***] All belts were pipe-clayed and all buttons were bright. Pewter buttons of enlisted men found at Fort Niagara bear an Arabic numeral '5' within a broken circle. Earlier buttons of the same regiment found at Michilimackinac contained a Roman numeral 'V'. Officers' buttons were silver-plated and bore the Roman numeral 'V' encircled by the laurel-wreath.
military2p11.jpg
[SIZE=-1][COLOR=#00000]Buttons of 5th Regt: Roman Numerals - Officers; Arabic Numerals - Enlisted Men:

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Interesting, in that the OPs button is not a match for any of those images. I found a 4th reg. that is like the one on the left, not much info to find. Thanks for that reply Pepper.

OP
OP
creade

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

military2p11.jpg

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thanks! Love finding the old buttons!

Great find, and condition.
Thanks! The condition surprised me too!

Interesting, in that the OPs button is not a match for any of those images. I found a 4th reg. that is like the one on the left, not much info to find. Thanks for that reply Pepper.
if you google 5th regiment of foot buttons,it’ll give you images that match the button. I believe that other image was a officer button.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I thought along the upper edge of the button there was part of a border along the rim. Just a off type plantchet or mold error.

OP
OP
creade

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought along the upper edge of the button there was part of a border along the rim. Just a off type plantchet or mold error.
Theres a beaded border around the edge

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread