🥇 BANNER First GW Inaugural Button and It's a Beauty!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had two goals for this detecting year and this is one of them! I hiked to a new site on Sunday and literally the third hole I dug was this:

GW.jpg

It was only four inches down in some nice clay soil which I think is why it's so well preserved. I hadn't even decided if the site had been hunted before, so to say I wasn't expecting this to turn up would be an understatement. And to top it off the shovel didn't come close to hitting it so no rueful scratches or dings to make me feel bad every time I look at it! :laughing7: After some extremely carefull cleaning here's how it came out:

DSC06681.JPG DSC06676.JPG DSC06677.JPG

My technique was slow and gentle brushing with q-tips and I purposefully left dirt in the etchings so that I could keep the contrast and have the design really pop. It still has fantastic definition and I love the black patina. After safely stowing this I continued to grid the site and I am now certain in has never been detected before because the find density was incredible! Here are just the buttons:

DSC06694.JPG DSC06701.JPG DSC06702.JPG

Most are medium or large tombac buttons (including the odd bowl-shaped one in the last photos), but there were a couple brass flat buttons too. Most of those had "London" backmarks so the distribution seems to be from the latter half of the 18th century to just the beginning of the 19th. I was actually surprised since I was expecting this to be a mid 19th century site.

There were a few coins including a 1787 Connecticut copper that would be the find of the day on any other hunt:

DSC06682.JPG DSC06683.JPG

There's enough definition that I'm reasonably confident that it's a Miller 12-Q which is listed as scarce. I also found a toasted KG III and an 1829 large cent that's in okay shape.

DSC06685.JPG DSC06686.JPG DSC06687.JPG DSC06688.JPG

My other favorite find of the hunt was this beautiful, intact No 2 crotal bell.

DSC06689.JPG DSC06690.JPG DSC06691.JPG

I find fragments all the time, but rarely intact specimens and this is only my third with the maker's mark. I didn't find any mention of "RW" in American bellmakers, but I did find one in the UK. Robert Wells from Aldbourne operated a foundry as did his son and grandson. The foundry was established in 1755 and operated for the three generations until bankruptcy in 1825. Since the "RW" mark likely didn't change during that time, it could be from anywhere in that range, but based on the site it's probably from the time of the son Robert Wells II so late 18th century.

There were quite a few bits and pieces, some of which I can identify, and a few mystery pieces:

DSC06692.JPG DSC06695.JPG DSC06697.JPG DSC06698.JPG DSC06699.JPG DSC06700.JPG

The pewter cone shaped piece is odd, but very decorative. There was surprisingly little large iron, but I've only just started to cover the ground at this site so I'm sure it'll turn up. I have my work cut out for me though as it's nestled in thick brambles. They're mostly flat now, but it's spring so the site is beginning to close up and in a few weeks I doubt I'll be able to swing anywhere near it. I can only imagine what's still in the ground there, but it'll be tough to top this hunt!

DSC06672.JPG

Upvote 121

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely amazing, I cannot believe the condition of that beauty! Congrats on a lifetime find!

-- Jeff --

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT GW! Congrats..........Hogge

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had two goals for this detecting year and this is one of them! I hiked to a new site on Sunday and literally the third hole I dug was this:

View attachment 1584682

It was only four inches down in some nice clay soil which I think is why it's so well preserved. I hadn't even decided if the site had been hunted before, so to say I wasn't expecting this to turn up would be an understatement. And to top it off the shovel didn't come close to hitting it so no rueful scratches or dings to make me feel bad every time I look at it! :laughing7: After some extremely carefull cleaning here's how it came out:

View attachment 1584679 View attachment 1584680 View attachment 1584681

My technique was slow and gentle brushing with q-tips and I purposefully left dirt in the etchings so that I could keep the contrast and have the design really pop. It still has fantastic definition and I love the black patina. After safely stowing this I continued to grid the site and I am now certain in has never been detected before because the find density was incredible! Here are just the buttons:

View attachment 1584683 View attachment 1584684 View attachment 1584685

Most are medium or large tombac buttons (including the odd bowl-shaped one in the last photos), but there were a couple brass flat buttons too. Most of those had "London" backmarks so the distribution seems to be from the latter half of the 18th century to just the beginning of the 19th. I was actually surprised since I was expecting this to be a mid 19th century site.

There were a few coins including a 1787 Connecticut copper that would be the find of the day on any other hunt:

View attachment 1584686 View attachment 1584687

There's enough definition that I'm reasonably confident that it's a Miller 12-Q which is listed as scarce. I also found a toasted KG III and an 1829 large cent that's in okay shape.

View attachment 1584688 View attachment 1584689 View attachment 1584690 View attachment 1584691

My other favorite find of the hunt was this beautiful, intact No 2 crotal bell.

View attachment 1584692 View attachment 1584693 View attachment 1584694

I find fragments all the time, but rarely intact specimens and this is only my third with the maker's mark. I didn't find any mention of "RW" in American bellmakers, but I did find one in the UK. Robert Wells from Aldbourne operated a foundry as did his son and grandson. The foundry was established in 1755 and operated for the three generations until bankruptcy in 1825. Since the "RW" mark likely didn't change during that time, it could be from anywhere in that range, but based on the site it's probably from the time of the son Robert Wells II so late 18th century.

There were quite a few bits and pieces, some of which I can identify, and a few mystery pieces:

View attachment 1584695 View attachment 1584696 View attachment 1584697 View attachment 1584698 View attachment 1584699 View attachment 1584700

The pewter cone shaped piece is odd, but very decorative. There was surprisingly little large iron, but I've only just started to cover the ground at this site so I'm sure it'll turn up. I have my work cut out for me though as it's nestled in thick brambles. They're mostly flat now, but it's spring so the site is beginning to close up and in a few weeks I doubt I'll be able to swing anywhere near it. I can only imagine what's still in the ground there, but it'll be tough to top this hunt!

View attachment 1584703

Big Congratz.
I can only imagine a Site like that.
&
You will have something to look forward to next Fall & Winter.

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's ever so nice fulfilling a goal. One set so high has to feel even more rewarding. This will be a hunt you will never forget with all the wonderful relics recovered. Congrats to you Mister.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry - late to the party. Congratulations to you on one of the best looking GWI buttons to appear on TNet in quite a while. Lot of other great finds as well. It looks as though you have a great site to search futher; of course, you heart will skip a beat for every big dandy button you recover on your return visits. Lots of excitement to look forward - good luck.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! killer :icon_thumright:

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, GPX 4500, and another Nox 800 for my friends...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find... truly amazing.
Congrats!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your heart will skip a beat for every big dandy button you recover on your return visits.

You are precisely right! Dug another massive dandy at the site this weekend and it really had me going until I flipped it over!

Mr.CoinFlip

Banned
May 7, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000. The GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Find Just Beautiful I THINK MY FAVORITE ARE THE BELLS MORE THEN THE COINS BUT GREAT POST INDEED

FindingHistory1

Greenie
May 30, 2018
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a find of a lifetime for sure, paleomaxx, congratulations!! You did such a great job cleaning it, too.

Regarding the "clip corner" buckle on the left, I was very glad to see it, because I found one like it on Memorial Day weekend, and I've searched high and low for an image of one on the internet in the past few days. Mine is apparently brass, has the iron prong still intact (although corroded), and isn't particularly thick. I found it about 1 foot deep about 100 yards from a farm marked on an 1851 PA map, so I think it is old, but I don't know how old it might be. Do you (or does anyone on the forum) have an age range for such a buckle? I assume it's a belt buckle, but if anyone could give me any further info, I'd really appreciate it.

IMG_0891.jpg image1.jpeg

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding the "clip corner" buckle on the left, I was very glad to see it, because I found one like it on Memorial Day weekend, and I've searched high and low for an image of one on the internet in the past few days. Mine is apparently brass, has the iron prong still intact (although corroded), and isn't particularly thick. I found it about 1 foot deep about 100 yards from a farm marked on an 1851 PA map, so I think it is old, but I don't know how old it might be. Do you (or does anyone on the forum) have an age range for such a buckle? I assume it's a belt buckle, but if anyone could give me any further info, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you! I'm fairly sure it's a buckle from horse tack or a related harness setup. Based on associated finds the one I dug is probably from the 1820's or 1830's, but that's not to say that buckles like this couldn't have been made for decades after. Yours is very likely 1800's based on the patina alone. Buckles are always a great find in my book; keep hunting that spot!

FindingHistory1

Greenie
May 30, 2018
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you, paleomaxx! That is great information, thanks, and I was excited to see such a similar buckle online -- although I'd probably faint if I dug up a GWI button like yours! I'll have to measure it to see if it's the same dimensions as yours... I think it is. There's a (still-standing) house that was built in 1832 less than 1/4 mile away from the old house site where I found the buckle, and a church about 3/4 mile away that dates back to I think 1807, so since the house site I'm detecting is at least 1851, it's possible it was also built in the 1830-1850 range. Found some very old lead bullets nearby the buckle, and a "toasted" Flying Eagle cent maybe 50 yards away toward the house. I'll definitely keep hunting that spot. HH and thanks for sharing your awesome finds and the info!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
way to go dude! welcome to the GW club!

petroguy3666

Aug 11, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing dig, the GW button is just awesome, congrats

Top Member Reactions