Went to a park in the Historic District and might have found a first.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This park goes back a long way the only problem is it’s mostly sand from when the river overflows. The river bottom is all sand so I always figure anything worth while is deep because I find old beer cans a foot down. But I figured since it overflowed last week MAYBE some old silver is on top...nope. But I did find some 2 deep targets that I found interesting with the 800. I believe my first hem weight at about 9”, clear signal so I dug it and a brass tuba about a foot down....Hey I never found one of those either at my honey hole which made it was a good day. Thanks for looking at my humble finds. IMG_2765.JPG IMG_2766.JPG IMG_2767.JPG IMG_2768.JPG

UPDATE!!!!! Thanks to Kray the tuba is a Pre Civil War US Infantry Hat Pin!!!!!! IMG_2769.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 20

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a good day. Hem weights and sweet relics are all keepers in my book! Nice post Truth!!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet finds, Truth! Check this out. Maybe better than you thought. aaaaaaaaaaahorn.jpg

1858 US Infantry enlisted hat emblem. Standard infantry adornment worn during The War of Northern Aggression.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet finds, Truth! Check this out. Maybe better than you thought. View attachment 1585358

1858 US Infantry enlisted hat emblem. Standard infantry adornment worn during The War of Northern Aggression.

HOLY $&@“ THAT’S IT!!!!! LOL OMG THANK YOU!! Unbelievable!!

And I thought it was a tuba!!! Lol

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Krey, you never cease to amaze me. Truth, and all of us, were happy believing it was a tuba. You knew better, and were able to enlighten us to what he actually held. A beautiful, early, piece of American militiaria. Nice ID for sure!!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Krey, you never cease to amaze me. Truth, and all of us, were happy believing it was a tuba. You knew better, and were able to enlighten us to what he actually held. A beautiful, early, piece of American militiaria. Nice ID for sure!!

Yeah, well, thanks for the kind words. I wasn't certain, and needed to verify. Really glad to find the matching image.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thank you for saying what I was going to say myself once I came down off of this high. There’s a high school two blocks away from this park that was built in 1901 and I thought at best it was a high school tuba player that lost his pledge pin. And once again Krey educated me and takes his personal time to look up something I found and make an ordinary day in the something fantastic. And I was excited about my first hem weight......and still I’m. Now I’m over the top. That 800 was hitting deep, but It was mostly old Schlitz beer can about a foot down (Just now doing research I realize that Schilitz was started in 1849 I thought it was an old New Orleans rot gut beer from the 70s lol)

So having about 10 cans, at a foot down, I still dug this deep can signal. [emoji1317][emoji1317]

Thank you so much Krey

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, well, thanks for the kind words. I wasn't certain, and needed to verify. Really glad to find the matching image.

A buddy of mine that I just met is a real relic nut! And when I was telling him the story I told him I found what I thought was a brass tuba and here in the excitement in my voice he said, “Did you find her US infantry pin?”

I started tripping he said that before even seeing it. This guy has conversations with me about old war things where I don’t even know what he’s talking about and he acts like I should. Lol I was a coin guy his whole world is relics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions