It took 20 years, but I finally found a gold coin. Well, 4 gold coins. All French!

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello THers!

I have been wanting to share this find now for a couple weeks, but was waiting for my friend to edit and drop the video first.

This coin was found at low tide on a rocky river edge. I was using a Garrett AT Max with the wrong coil considering the conditions, but it was too late in the day to change it. (NEL Thunder coil) I literally hit this coin with my predator hand digger at about 5 or 6". I'm still sick about it, but like the flowing hair half dime incident, at least I found it... I'm probably about as messed up about finding it as the person was who lost it 250+ years ago! I don't know exactly how it managed to separate into 4 pieces of pie in just one strike, but it did. I could probably whack a coin 100 times before it broke the way this one did. It's just crazy to me... I managed a few other very nice finds that day, as did my mates, but I will have to come back and edit this thread once the whole video drops. It was a disgusting and incredible day that I am truly humbled to have been a part of...

I know many of you don't like video shares on this forum, so I have attached some close-up pictures. If you're brave enough to watch the video, grab a box of tissues.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• GoldCoin1.png
    GoldCoin1.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 393
  • GoldCoin2.png
    GoldCoin2.png
    229.1 KB · Views: 339
  • GoldCoin3.png
    GoldCoin3.png
    262.6 KB · Views: 342
  • GoldCoin4.png
    GoldCoin4.png
    255.1 KB · Views: 306
Upvote 77

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On second thought, a contemporary counterfeit would make more sense than you breaking it with a digging tool. Gold does not shatter. I found a tiny nugget and took a hammer to it to see how it would break or bend, it flattened like a pancake and there were no crack lines on it at all. I would have the carat value of the coin tested. May be 8 carat or such, which would explain the breaking thing. I have seen guys on you tube find coins hundreds of years older than this one, and they are very bent up. Careful annealing and straightening gets them very close to back to their original shape. I think it's probably a very low carat weight counterfeit. Gold just doesn't break like that. And in that anaerobic mud, the original color of the coin would be preserved. Take a small gold nugget, place it on a flat surface and it spead out a LOT before it would shatter.

Last edited:

Mike N Tn.

Jul 1, 2008
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600,
and Fisher F75
Incredible and historic find. I like the way it looks. It's got a cool story.
Congratulations on finding the Holy Grail of Relic Hunting. Definite banner worthy.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On second thought, a contemporary counterfeit would make more sense than you breaking it with a digging tool. Gold does not shatter. I found a tiny nugget and took a hammer to it to see how it would break or bend, it flattened like a pancake and there were no crack lines on it at all. I would have the carat value of the coin tested. May be 8 carat or such, which would explain the breaking thing. I have seen guys on you tube find coins hundreds of years older than this one, and they are very bent up. Careful annealing and straightening gets them very close to back to their original shape. I think it's probably a very low carat weight counterfeit. Gold just doesn't break like that. And in that anaerobic mud, the original color of the coin would be preserved. Take a small gold nugget, place it on a flat surface and it spead out a LOT before it would shatter.

I agree with this post. I've been bothered by this picture since it was first posted. Something just "doesn't look right" with the "strike". It looks possibly cast. I have seen the real thing at coin shows many times and they don't have the same appearance. A contemporary cast counterfeit of lower purity would be more likely to break like this than the real thing. It could have been cast from a real coin or even a copy of a copy.

Last edited:

Digemnega

Feb 10, 2018
Gillsville, GA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot, Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! I saw the video and it was amazing to watch this unfold. Don't worry about it breaking. That is how it was meant for you to find it. And. It is still gold. Congrats again!! I have vote banner.

Last edited:

hbru123

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW! All I can say is WOW!!! Congrats on the once in a lifetime find! Definitely BANNER!

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just does not sound right to me. You should first test to see if it is gold.

I cannot understand how such a coin can break using only a hand tool, even if it is brittle.
I have found enough gold coins from the Celtic BC period, and the years between 700-900 period in Europe and never found a brittle one. We are talking about gold, not silver or bronze.
Gold does color a bit, but brittle, have never seen such.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Once again, an excellent find. I’m really hoping your coin makes banner. Who the hell really cares if it’s broken is my personal opinion. The fact is you found it is quite incredible. Thanks for sharing it.

Banner

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only an awesome find but also an opportunity for further research.

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT-pro, Fisher CZ-21 , Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could just feel the look on his face when he found the next 3 parts.. My heart sank just and his did... You still have a Gold coin.. Now Pirate addition CUT.
My favorite YouTube detectors..

Don't Brad it Bob.
Now eat your lunch

Last edited:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember watching old westerns where the cowboy would bite the gold coin to see if it was real. Not sure if this was just a Hollywood thing or if people really did bite the coins to check for hardness.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is true, gold coins back then were mostly gold 22K. I have seen coins with teeth marks in them. But it must have been hard on the teeth...

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is true, gold coins back then were mostly gold 22K. I have seen coins with teeth marks in them. But it must have been hard on the teeth...

Good business for the dentists.

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will carefully acid test this coin tonight, possibly post some up close and personal photographs of the breakage line. The weight is SPOT ON. Thanks for all the additional thumbs up and banner nods. I greatly appreciate you all stopping to comment!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad, the weight wold have to be dead on for it to pass as a counterfeit. Inquiring minds want to know.

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad, the weight wold have to be dead on for it to pass as a counterfeit. Inquiring minds want to know.

France 1736-K louis d'or - CoinFactsWiki - I think mine was 8.0X or 8.1X, I don't remember. It made sense, considering a flake or two was probably lost in the process of obliterating it. I will weigh it on 2 different jewelry scales tonight, and then perform an exceedingly careful and light acid test. I will not apply acid directly to this coin, in case anyone was concerned. It's only true value now is the gold weight, however...

hbru123

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2016
San Diego California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It took 20 years, but I finally found a gold coin. Well, 4 gold coins. All F...

How is this not a banner yet? There is proof that it is gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread