Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree199Likes

Thread: It took 20 years, but I finally found a gold coin. Well, 4 gold coins. All French!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    The Hoover Boys

Feb 2008
    At your local thrift
    The Gravitator Electroscope, divining rods, random rocks that look neat that are actually treasure maps, meditation and a charming imagination.
    1374 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUSADER View Post
    'was' kind of is, a very nice looking coin. I would be sick for years. Well at least you can look forward to your 2nd knowing it can't get much worse....
    Drier than dry, as always Cru, but thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.

Yes, it has surely been more of a burden than cause for celebration. I simply respect the find, and try not to dwell on the circumstances. 'Sick for years' is very well said. It's still an open wound. I envision a damaged target in every darn hole I dig.

Odd--with the flowing hair coin incident, I could apply the "well, at least I found it mentality" and move on, you know, be happy about it... This recovery doesn't bring me joy, but it's a story that has to be shared. The end.

Charter Member
    us
    The Hoover Boys

Feb 2008
    At your local thrift
    The Gravitator Electroscope, divining rods, random rocks that look neat that are actually treasure maps, meditation and a charming imagination.
    1374 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUSADER View Post
    I can see fresh marks.
    Yes, clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by DFW_THer View Post
    Drier than dry, as always Cru, but thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.

Yes, it has surely been more of a burden than cause for celebration. I simply respect the find, and try not to dwell on the circumstances. 'Sick for years' is very well said. It's still an open wound. I envision a damaged target in every darn hole I dig.

Odd--with the flowing hair coin incident, I could apply the "well, at least I found it mentality" and move on, you know, be happy about it... This recovery doesn't bring me joy, but it's a story that has to be shared. The end.
    Yes you know me, not a word mincer or someone who just says 'nice finds'! I still hit the odd thing myself, even after thinking "I must always dig back from where I think it is!" Mainly because you know its bound to be your best find you do it to. Thankfully all my 'hits' are forgettable.(other than one nice 18th C calendar coin many years ago)
    I think you have the right attitude & you will be rewarded again.
    DFW_THer likes this.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

us
    The Hoover Boys

Jun 2017
    Garrett AT Max, AT Gold, AT Pro, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
    177 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Congratulations Brad. This coin Represents why we all do this. To find actual treasure. BANNER? It's above the "Banner" system. I nominated it anyway.
    DFW_THer likes this.

May 2017
    812 times
    I've got an AT Pro with the NEL Thunder Coil. It's a great coil, but it makes pinpointing tough.

Dude, I watched this emotional roller-coaster of a video when it first came out. PLEASE don't sweat the broken coin! The whole thing was made even more awesome as the bunch of you knelt around that hole, digging and pinpointing, excitedly discovering each individual chunk of that amazing piece of history.

To me, the memories of doing that are actually more valuable than recovering the coin whole. And hey, you got all four pieces! You can mount them together - they'll gleam just as nicely - but now the coin has a STORY to it. The whole discovery is now an amazing story that you and the rest of your friends can always tell, for the rest of your lives; the time you Slice N' Diced this thing into quarters and then dug each piece out of the sand.

You'll find other gold coins, but you'll never do something like this again. This video is a lot more enjoyable than you just finding the coin and showing it off to the rest of the HB. It's almost like you found this coin together.

GREAT find, and congrats on your first! You'll feel 10x better about the breakage when you've got your next gold coin find squeezed tightly in the palm of your hand.
    DFW_THer likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    The Hoover Boys

Feb 2008
    At your local thrift
    1374 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakakka View Post

GREAT find, and congrats on your first! You'll feel 10x better about the breakage when you've got your next gold coin find squeezed tightly in the palm of your hand.
    Thank you so much!

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II, Quattro & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    12618 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Fantastic Gold coin find, congratulations!
    DFW_THer likes this.

Charter Member
    ca
    Sep 2016
    Eastern Canada
    XP DEUS
    3559 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    This thing really should be on the top. Broken or not it's a once in the lifetime find.
    DFW_THer and Ammoman like this.
    Da Deus Fortunae

Jan 2017
    27 times
    Terrific find, 30+ years at the jewelers bench I've seen many gold items work hardened into a brittle state. I've observed the gold almost crystallizing. This seems to be evident in the photos. The gold planchett probably wasn't annealed properly before striking, rendering it brittle.
    You hit the good and bad luck simultaneously. Still a unbelievable find.
    DFW_THer likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    The Hoover Boys

Feb 2008
    At your local thrift
    1374 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Royn2751 View Post
    Terrific find, 30+ years at the jewelers bench I've seen many gold items work hardened into a brittle state. I've observed the gold almost crystallizing. This seems to be evident in the photos. The gold planchett probably wasn't annealed properly before striking, rendering it brittle.
    You hit the good and bad luck simultaneously. Still a unbelievable find.
    Crystallizing is a good way to put it. The break lines almost look granular. Thanks for the nice note, means a lot. I've had many people stare me in the face and say "gold doesn't break--ever".. Well I'm here to tell you, it does.

Charter Member
    us
    The Hoover Boys

Feb 2008
    At your local thrift
    1374 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE32...ature=youtu.be - if anyone wants to see everything we dug that day... I'd edit my first post, but I don't see where/how to do that. Video just released 30 minutes ago. Cheers.

Charter Member
    ca
    Sep 2016
    Eastern Canada
    XP DEUS
    3559 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I'm still waiting for that exceptional find to get a banner. I really don't understand why it doesn't. Even a cut piece of a French gold coin should get there, way easier than an American gold dollar.
    DFW_THer likes this.
    Da Deus Fortunae

us
    Can you dig it.

Dec 2016
    NH
    Equinox 600 - Garrett AT MAX & ProPointer AT------- Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tesoro Mojave, Wilson C&R 4
    772 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Watched THB video this afternoon. That was a great trip for everyone overall. And heck of a find for you. I realized I never nominated your first post for banner, I hope I help nudge it a little closer. Its a no brainer banner find. Congratulations.

PS It was awesome meeting you guys at the end of April!

us
    Jul 2017
    Northwest Arkansas
    Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
    1411 times
    It is treasure, mate, beautiful to the eyes and desirable to the mind, and we're all a bit envious of your good fortune. Congrats to you, and may we all get our share of such good fortune!
    DFW_THer likes this.

us
    Randy

Aug 2017
    SW Missouri
    Minelab CTX 3030 ; GTA 1000
    1366 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Sweetness!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!
    DFW_THer likes this.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast