It took 20 years, but I finally found a gold coin. Well, 4 gold coins. All French!

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello THers!

I have been wanting to share this find now for a couple weeks, but was waiting for my friend to edit and drop the video first.

This coin was found at low tide on a rocky river edge. I was using a Garrett AT Max with the wrong coil considering the conditions, but it was too late in the day to change it. (NEL Thunder coil) I literally hit this coin with my predator hand digger at about 5 or 6". I'm still sick about it, but like the flowing hair half dime incident, at least I found it... I'm probably about as messed up about finding it as the person was who lost it 250+ years ago! I don't know exactly how it managed to separate into 4 pieces of pie in just one strike, but it did. I could probably whack a coin 100 times before it broke the way this one did. It's just crazy to me... I managed a few other very nice finds that day, as did my mates, but I will have to come back and edit this thread once the whole video drops. It was a disgusting and incredible day that I am truly humbled to have been a part of...

I know many of you don't like video shares on this forum, so I have attached some close-up pictures. If you're brave enough to watch the video, grab a box of tissues.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• GoldCoin1.png
    GoldCoin1.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 393
  • GoldCoin2.png
    GoldCoin2.png
    229.1 KB · Views: 339
  • GoldCoin3.png
    GoldCoin3.png
    262.6 KB · Views: 342
  • GoldCoin4.png
    GoldCoin4.png
    255.1 KB · Views: 306
Upvote 77

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now after seeing the tests it is gold! Still wonder why it broke...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woody50, that is the question for the ages. It is very unusual. I took a tiny gold nugget and whacked the heck out of it with a hammer and it flattened like a pancake, of course the difference is the item was on a flat hard surface and I was using a blunt tool.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It probably will make banner in time. Looks like there is already gold coin up there so once one of them come down this will most likely go up. If it has the votes that is!
[emoji16][emoji106]

PastPursuits

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2018
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never miss a HB Vid !!! Congrats on your gold coin find and I know this wont be your only one so don't worry about quartering that bad boy up !
Happy Hunting !!
PP

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this YouTube video might help to explain how your gold became brittle:

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
The Coin Slayer is back - nice dig Brad, shame it was slayed, but it is what it is.

I dug my first gold coin last December, congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions