It took 20 years, but I finally found a gold coin. Well, 4 gold coins. All French!

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello THers!

I have been wanting to share this find now for a couple weeks, but was waiting for my friend to edit and drop the video first.

This coin was found at low tide on a rocky river edge. I was using a Garrett AT Max with the wrong coil considering the conditions, but it was too late in the day to change it. (NEL Thunder coil) I literally hit this coin with my predator hand digger at about 5 or 6". I'm still sick about it, but like the flowing hair half dime incident, at least I found it... I'm probably about as messed up about finding it as the person was who lost it 250+ years ago! I don't know exactly how it managed to separate into 4 pieces of pie in just one strike, but it did. I could probably whack a coin 100 times before it broke the way this one did. It's just crazy to me... I managed a few other very nice finds that day, as did my mates, but I will have to come back and edit this thread once the whole video drops. It was a disgusting and incredible day that I am truly humbled to have been a part of...

I know many of you don't like video shares on this forum, so I have attached some close-up pictures. If you're brave enough to watch the video, grab a box of tissues.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• GoldCoin1.png
    GoldCoin1.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 393
  • GoldCoin2.png
    GoldCoin2.png
    229.1 KB · Views: 339
  • GoldCoin3.png
    GoldCoin3.png
    262.6 KB · Views: 342
  • GoldCoin4.png
    GoldCoin4.png
    255.1 KB · Views: 306
Upvote 77

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw the preview the other week, and was just amazed. BIG congrats Brad. That's the Holy Grail.

Yeah, so you "Flowing Haired" this one too (Sorry, I couldn't resist, Kurt encourages this behavior!), it's OK buddy. It's still way better than the gold coin that I've never found.

Best of luck to you sir, and I can hardly wait to see your next discovery.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even in its current condition it is a Very beautiful coin congrats on a great find

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I felt sick when I watched this video. Congrats on the amazing find and so sorry it got hit. I hope theres not too much ptsd every time you sink the shovel now. Hopefully your alter ego "slice and dice" doesn't return anytime soon. If it makes you feel any better I somehow managed to push a rock against a very good detailed barber quarter the other day while digging it, right on the face too.

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your find. But what has me boggled is the fact that gold is highly malleable and will bend a hundred different ways before it even thinks about breaking. Very, very soft metal. And yet that coin is broken into four pieces like cast iron. Have you tested the coin for gold content, by any chance? *scratches head*

And please don't take me for a doubter. It's just the first time I've ever seen gold break like that is all.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wow. Congrats on the great find.:thumbsup:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your find. But what has me boggled is the fact that gold is highly malleable and will bend a hundred different ways before it even thinks about breaking. Very, very soft metal. And yet that coin is broken into four pieces like cast iron. Have you tested the coin for gold content, by any chance? *scratches head*

And please don't take me for a doubter. It's just the first time I've ever seen gold break like that is all.

It's mostly because it was "work hardened". And gold that is worked or pounded on can get brittle. if it had been heated to red hot to relieve the stress then it would be soft

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Phenomenal find! HUGE congratulations! A dream find to say the least. BANNER!

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, so you "Flowing Haired" this one too (Sorry, I couldn't resist, Kurt encourages this behavior!), it's OK buddy. It's still way better than the gold coin that I've never found.

Best of luck to you sir, and I can hardly wait to see your next discovery.

Truth!! I only 'flowing hair' coins that have a collector value of $1000+ -- It may all make sense to me in the next life, and if I flowing hair a third coin, I'l find out sooner rather than later hahahah

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man I felt sick when I watched this video. Congrats on the amazing find and so sorry it got hit. I hope theres not too much ptsd every time you sink the shovel now. Hopefully your alter ego "slice and dice" doesn't return anytime soon. If it makes you feel any better I somehow managed to push a rock against a very good detailed barber quarter the other day while digging it, right on the face too.

I signed a shirt last weekend 'slice and dice', just to see how it made me feel. Haha thanks for watching and sharing in the sick/shocked feeling with me!

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And please don't take me for a doubter. It's just the first time I've ever seen gold bre ak like that is all.

Don't worry, I don't. Comes down to how the coin was made. I have not tested it for gold content or had it x-rayed or anything. The weight is spot-on for what those things are supposed to weigh, and well, you can clip/cleave gold, and that's really what happened. Just very odd circumstances...

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bittersweet !

Hard to believe that could happen but it is what it is .... jackpot $ :pot-of-gold:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an epic find. The circumstances don't change that at all, and if the choice was given to find it that way or not at all, I'm pretty sure we'd all take it.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So that was what? 40 reales worth of gold? Im sure the guy that lost that was way more upset than you

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding 4 pieces of gold, thanks to ur digger,. Still a gold coin is a gold coin. Well done

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your gold coin. I would rather find it in that condition than not at all. The video truly showed the despair of the condition of your coin. It was a find of a life time.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Forest Gump said that "it happens" and he was right. however, you could have found it already broken that way and you still would have been happy to have found a gold coin, I know that I would be ecstatic. Totally awesome find no matter what plus you have all the parts. I would love to find just a portion of a gold coin. Congrats on all accounts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread