How to download maps & do overlays like Piggman1 did - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    gb
    Jun 2005
    Northampton, UK
    Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
    22 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: How to download maps & do overlays like Piggman1 did

Thanks SolarYellow, that is what I was talking about I will print your instructions out and then give it a try along with Piggman1's ideas.

God bless
    Peter
    God Bless, Peter Gill

Website: http://petergill.webs.com "Peter Gill's Virtual Home".
    All items found using Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Silver Sabre II metal detector

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    9864 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Figureed,i'd link to piggmans thread so you don't have to go looking for it. Thanks piggman1.http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...,108212.0.html

us
    Apr 2007
    Austin, TX
    Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by pgill
    Thanks Piggman1, if you read Watercolor's entry above, he is talking about taking old maps and stretching them to size and then changing the transparency of the map which is on top off the new plan. This way you will be able to see what the place looked like many years ago.
    I have also seen where people take a picture and import say a animal and place it in their picture. The animals background etc has been removed, just showing the animal. The final picture has been made from 2 pictures.

Not sure if you know what I am talking about

God bless
    Peter
    My mistake. I like his way of doing it. I've never tried that, but I'm going to now to see how well it works. Thanks Solar and Watercolor. We will give these a try.
    It's better to be thought a fool, then open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    The definition of average is the best of the worst, and the worst of the best.

us
    Sep 2005
    Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
    22 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by watercolor
    Coin Hunter, I don't recall seeing Piggman's map so I'm really not sure of the type of overlays he used.

If you have access to an image editing program such as Adobe Photoshop, (that's what I am currently using) it isn't too difficult to do. I've used Adobe Photoshop on several occasions to take early 20th-century Sanborn Maps and overlay them on top of aerial images from the internet. Since aerial images and older maps are rarely created at the same scale, Photoshop allows you to stretch, shrink, scale plus, adjust the transparency of each image independently of the other. Here's an example of one that I've done recently. Is this the type of thing you're thinking about?

Watercolor,

That looks great!
    I have Photoshop and can't figure out how to make a map (pic) transparent.
    Do you have any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance,

Timberwolf
    If we meet and you forget me...you have lost nothing.
    If you meet Jesus Christ and forget him...you have lost everything!

us
    Apr 2007
    Austin, TX
    Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf
    Quote Originally Posted by watercolor
    Coin Hunter, I don't recall seeing Piggman's map so I'm really not sure of the type of overlays he used.

If you have access to an image editing program such as Adobe Photoshop, (that's what I am currently using) it isn't too difficult to do. I've used Adobe Photoshop on several occasions to take early 20th-century Sanborn Maps and overlay them on top of aerial images from the internet. Since aerial images and older maps are rarely created at the same scale, Photoshop allows you to stretch, shrink, scale plus, adjust the transparency of each image independently of the other. Here's an example of one that I've done recently. Is this the type of thing you're thinking about?

Watercolor,

That looks great!
    I have Photoshop and can't figure out how to make a map (pic) transparent.
    Do you have any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance,

Timberwolf
    I'm having the same problem. Help needed. Thanks
    It's better to be thought a fool, then open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    The definition of average is the best of the worst, and the worst of the best.

gb
    Jun 2005
    Northampton, UK
    Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
    22 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

Hehehehe Im having problems in keeping the top picture in place..... as soon as I click somewhere, the picture goes to the back

God bless
    Peter
    God Bless, Peter Gill

Website: http://petergill.webs.com "Peter Gill's Virtual Home".
    All items found using Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Silver Sabre II metal detector

Aug 2007
    Smart Tracker XR8 gift from dad as a kid, 1983? Garrett Master Hunter CX/12" high energy hothead. R.I.P (1991-2013)
    18 times

If you can drag the image and place it on top of the google image, you can select "layer" from the pull down menu and MERGE UP or MERGE down, or FLATTEN.
    Don't flatten.
    use merge up.

I just crop the topo image where I want it to overlay the google image.

Drag the image on to the google image and then stretch the image accordingly.

From there you can now select Windows from the pull down menus.
    Then select layers from that pulldown.
    If will show you the 2 layers you are working with.
    Select the one you want to make transparent.
    You will the opacity meter there.
    Just slide away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links