Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: How to download maps & do overlays like Piggman1 did

You can use Google Earth.... but how to get the overlay I am not sure..... I would also like to know.

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
Texas Coin Hunter

Texas Coin Hunter

Aug 24, 2007
Kenedy, Tx.
Detector(s) used
BH land star & Pioneer EX made by BH & Whites Bullseye ll Pin Pointer

Hi Peter i sent Piggman1 a Pvt Message about doing a article on the subject of how he did this.

Sincerely
~Dave~ <Tnet> Texas Coin Hunter ;D

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks Texas, I hope he can do it for us, it will be a great lesson to learn.

God bless
Peter

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

It will be a great lesson for all of us. HH all

Desertfox

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi & welcome from the UK.

Did you find that coin on your avatar? If so you can join the big 8 club in the Best Finds section. All a bit of fun.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coin Hunter, I don't recall seeing Piggman's map so I'm really not sure of the type of overlays he used.

If you have access to an image editing program such as Adobe Photoshop, (that's what I am currently using) it isn't too difficult to do. I've used Adobe Photoshop on several occasions to take early 20th-century Sanborn Maps and overlay them on top of aerial images from the internet. Since aerial images and older maps are rarely created at the same scale, Photoshop allows you to stretch, shrink, scale plus, adjust the transparency of each image independently of the other. Here's an example of one that I've done recently. Is this the type of thing you're thinking about?

1912.jpg

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia

Piggman's " finds " posts always look professionally produced !
he's the man :) If I tried to post a mint condition $20 dollar
gold piece it would probaby look more like carroded wheat penny :(

Doozis

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

I put the complete instructions on a post this evening under "General Discussion". I gave step by step instructions so anyone can do it. If you have a problem with it let me know through PM and I'll help you out.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks Piggman1 ;D This is what this site is all about.

God bless you
Peter

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

watercolor, how about giving us a tutorial on how you do your overlays? How do you make the top layer transpsarent for instance.

Great topic this.

God bless
Peter

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

pgill said:
watercolor, how about giving us a tutorial on how you do your overlays? How do you make the top layer transpsarent for instance.

Great topic this.

God bless
Peter

No, you just draw on the original image in the Window's "Paint" program. There is no overlay. You can do it with ant pictures, and if you make a mistake you can't undo, just exit the program without saving changes and start over. Practice useing all the features of paint on any photo to get the hang of it.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks Piggman1, if you read Watercolor's entry above, he is talking about taking old maps and stretching them to size and then changing the transparency of the map which is on top off the new plan. This way you will be able to see what the place looked like many years ago.
I have also seen where people take a picture and import say a animal and place it in their picture. The animals background etc has been removed, just showing the animal. The final picture has been made from 2 pictures.

Not sure if you know what I am talking about ::) ;D

God bless
Peter

solaryellow

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Smart Tracker XR8 gift from dad as a kid, 1983?
Garrett Master Hunter CX/12" high energy hothead. R.I.P (1991-2013)

The google earth images are nice and work well when overlaying topo maps too.

I use photoshop.

Just open both images.

Drag the TOPO on top of the saved google earth image. helps to have the roads turned on.

Stretch topo as best you can to match roads on google image.
topo maps weren't exact, and lots of time you will see roads that have been moved, or no longer exist.

In photoshop just select the layers from (windows) pull down menus and highlight the topo frame.
Then just adjust the opacity to taste.

It's easier to compare high points and certain areas of topo maps when you have an actual satellite image with it.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks SolarYellow, that is what I was talking about ;D I will print your instructions out and then give it a try along with Piggman1's ideas.

God bless
Peter

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used

pgill said:
Thanks Piggman1, if you read Watercolor's entry above, he is talking about taking old maps and stretching them to size and then changing the transparency of the map which is on top off the new plan. This way you will be able to see what the place looked like many years ago.
I have also seen where people take a picture and import say a animal and place it in their picture. The animals background etc has been removed, just showing the animal. The final picture has been made from 2 pictures.

Not sure if you know what I am talking about ::) ;D

God bless
Peter

My mistake. :D I like his way of doing it. I've never tried that, but I'm going to now to see how well it works. Thanks Solar and Watercolor. We will give these a try.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900

watercolor said:
Coin Hunter, I don't recall seeing Piggman's map so I'm really not sure of the type of overlays he used.

If you have access to an image editing program such as Adobe Photoshop, (that's what I am currently using) it isn't too difficult to do. I've used Adobe Photoshop on several occasions to take early 20th-century Sanborn Maps and overlay them on top of aerial images from the internet. Since aerial images and older maps are rarely created at the same scale, Photoshop allows you to stretch, shrink, scale plus, adjust the transparency of each image independently of the other. Here's an example of one that I've done recently. Is this the type of thing you're thinking about?

Watercolor,

That looks great!
I have Photoshop and can't figure out how to make a map (pic) transparent.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,

Timberwolf

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used

Timberwolf said:
watercolor said:

Watercolor,

That looks great!
I have Photoshop and can't figure out how to make a map (pic) transparent.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,

Timberwolf

I'm having the same problem. Help needed. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread