Beyond epic Revolutionary War Battlefield Finds!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been 29 years or so since I've been able to detect spot where there was military action during the Revolution. Once upon a time ago I dug the Brandywine Battlefield in PA, but the farm was sold and developed, and that folks was that. I have been in some sites the French, British and American troops visited, with some decent results since then, but not like this.

I was able to join another detectorist at a site he had just glazed over last year. It is a huge farm field in the middle of nowhere. I didn't have to go to Canada or Mexico, but let's just say it takes forever to drive there. All along what was then the "frontier" during both the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War, were small homesteads and settlements. Some are still there, some are ghost towns. We visited one of the areas we suspected where there were homesteads there in the Rev War period.

The regional history tells of Native Americans joining the British and the Tories who accomplished raids on many homesteads spread out over miles and miles and miles and miles of territory. We were hoping this particular farm, due to the regional history, held one of those long forgotten homesteads. We were not disappointed.

We looked at the hillocks to detect on, all not very far from a water source. The first site, on a small hillock produced half a pound of wadded up aluminum foil and of all things, two minie balls! Somebody was deer hunting after the Civil War from the looks of it.

The second hilltop turned up more aluminum foil (gotta wrap your lunch in something), and a spark plug! We finally moved to the last hilltop. That's when the fun began. My buddy was using the XP Deus with the big LF coil. I was using "Killer", it's nickname another XP Deus with the 9" elliptical HF coil.

The first signal out of the ground was a pewter spoon bowl! I moved a little farther on the ridge and got another nice signal. It was a large dandy button with a star on it. A few feet away was an identical button. I was listening for some iron, and dug an iron strap type pot hanger. The iron is coming out of the ground pristine, a sure sign the building was burned, that's the only way iron survives in this condition. These are hard to find. Then the real fun began.

In a small area I got a target about a foot down. Almost all the targets were deep. We were in a house site the Tories and Indians burned! History tells the tale for miles around the patriots in the area were either burned out of their homes, or even killed. And now we're standing in one of those house sites!

So the target...I get it out of the ground without dinging it. I immediately knew what it was. It is pictured first and is a Native American copper bangle, most likely part of that person's war badge or necklace. Because it is hand forged copper, I think it could easily be copper from the midwest. There was a lot of trading between the native tribes back then, although we are a long, long away from there. It is slightly bigger than a US silver dollar and the two notches at 11 o'clock and 2 o'clock are deliberate and hand made. That is probably where they wrapped the twine to add it to the rest of the necklace.

View attachment IMG_0957.jpg I am not going to clean it. I moved three feet and found another, however bent of handmade copper bangle. View attachment IMG_0958.jpg Again, I am not going to try to clean or straighten it. These things are not just junk brass. These were most likely ripped from the Indian's neck in a fight. The natives treasured these things and would leave them behind. Two feet away I found a true unique treasure! It is a copper trade button, note the geometric designs on it. But wait, there's more! This button, as can be seen from the back was fashioned into something else. A small piece of rolled up lead was jammed into the shank, still present and deliberately bent over and under magnification I can STILL SEE SOME OF THE THREAD under the lead. This piece would be used as an ornamental dangle, not as a button! I have never even seen one of these. So this warrior lost three pieces of his wardrobe right there. I will bet there was some bloodshed over that! Moving on, and in circles, we dug a piece of pig iron, another pot hook, knife blade, piece of a redware jug, flat brass buttons, pieces to pewter spoons or flatware, two of the prettiest tombac buttons I have ever seen, American cast pewter buttons, and some gorgeous rose head nails.

View attachment IMG_0938.jpg View attachment IMG_0939.jpg View attachment IMG_0941.jpg View attachment IMG_0943.jpg View attachment IMG_0944.jpg View attachment IMG_0950.jpg IMG_0951.JPG IMG_0959.JPG View attachment IMG_0948.jpg IMG_0946.JPG IMG_0952.JPG View attachment IMG_0953.jpg IMG_0954.JPG IMG_0955.JPG

The last four pictures are the special trade button with the lead through the shank and thread. Zoom in to see the colonial thread!

The wildlife also visited us in the form of Mallard ducks, turkeys and two coyotes! Those coyotes were huge!

IMG_0931.JPG And two ducks. IMG_0926.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 42
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try getting a copy of George Neumann's "Early American Antique and Country Furnishings" or "History Written with Pick and Shovel" by Calver and Bolton.

We goofed around once with radiocarbon dating. Laughed out butts off at some of the results. It doesn't work correctly.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pure excitement!

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks can_slaw, but it's not so much imagination as my past in doing serious research, my archaeology experience and reading the lay of the land, extreme map usage and satellite photos with the addition of knowledge of what a household of that period would have had in it. For instance, I knew at a glance the spark plug was "out of the time frame" for the site. :tongue3:

The word "imagination" may have been a poor choice. "Minds eye" may be a better one. It is one thing to put in the hours of reading and studying, it is quite another to take what you have read and use your minds eye to really envision what you have learned when reading the lands layout. We are saying the same thing, i just was not saying it correctly, sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No issue. Real imagination was needed when I found a spark plug about 200 feet away in the same field.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well somebody's going to need more display cases!
Nice detecting forray, relics & back story.

The "long drive" getting there is a good reason why the relics are still there. A tad off the beaten path.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were in the middle of no where for sure. Turkeys walked by ducks flew overhead all that stuff.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent finds

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all. I crossed the same river about 15 times. Turkeys everywhere. Two HUGE coyotes out back of my friend's house. Pheasant stolling across the street and almost having to "duck" due to Mallard flybys.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Good job on knowing your history, I might have thrown out the copper bangle as scrap....great hunt!--JB

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, throwing out something like that is likely. If you don't take time to research the area, you can really lose out.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm still working on that last couple of buttons and the beads. Just a few. Most of the ceramic pieces were junk redware. Film at 11.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, correct pics. One of the geese is a Toulouse type, the other I can't remember the breed. The ducks zoomed by, no pics of them or the coyotes.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Way to go Smokey. Looks like you're on a great site.Congrats :occasion14:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds Smokey. I'll bet the coyotes were huge. There were probably 4 turkeys and 4 ducks before you took the picture ! Looks like they eat well over there.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wildlife was very nice. Those male Mallards are dumb things. I'm quacking at them and they're looking at me like I'm the idiot. I also have mooed at cows in the past (don't say a word.)

The button I had stuck in a "safe" place in the truck and then lost it temporarily, but have found it, it is a "USA" and after I get the rest of the gunk off it, which kinda looks like loose cement or some sandstone or mortar something or some such thing, I think it will be a nice button. Complete with shank. I first soaked it in water, and then started picking at it with the Andre's pencils. It will take probably a week to get everything cleaned properly. It will take a couple days to get the gunk off the USA. I have found a lot of USA's in the far past, but only about 5 nice ones, and those I sold to feed the kids a long time ago, so this is very exciting. Very jazzed. The native Indian pieces (3), and this! Can't be beat. Now if I could find the pinpointer and digger!

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, dodging rain showers we went back to the same spot yesterday. The turkeys were still there, laughing at us. We saw about 6 across the street. Since it's snake season I put on a pair of those snake guard chaps, they didn't work too well as they kept trying to fall off, but I did scare a mouse really good!

The site had grass 18" high in it. It was kinda hard to swing. We went the half mile back to the spot the house stood, now that was a chore. We got more of the rose head 18th nails, my bud got what may be a brass tip to a sword belt and I got a George III copper with harp on the reverse, which is almost smooth.

That wan't bad as most places we could not get the coil near the ground. Sifting through the areas of densest iron, I did pull out some limestone mortar bits, the type used on log cabins. I have come to the conclusion this house was a log cabin, as there are not enough nails present for a clapboard house.

The artifacts can tell a story, if you listen carefully.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread