Mystery item

Cobradude22

May 11, 2018
Crawfordsville, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone. New here. Today I went metal detecting. Probably my 4th time going. I’m pretty sure I hit it big. We have been digging on an old 1800s house site. We’ve found wagon axles. Old water pumps. And today I came across this approximately 8 inches in a hole. I couldn’t contain the excitement. My first treasure. I’m pretty sure it’s gold. But does anyone know what it is? Thanks
PHP:

Upvote 29

glenn37216

Apr 8, 2012
Hendersonville , TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, FISHER F75 Limited Edition, Teknetics EuroTek Pro, Garrett Ace150, 250,400i, Minelabs E-trac, Minelabs Equinox 600, Whites 6000D, DFX Pro,Bounty Hunter All -out of text space.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever it is it looks hand made. Could be a bracelet... or a type of hanging broach charm. Definitely looks old ... Definitely looks like gold. WOW is all I can say. :P

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. Another super jumpstart to a fun hobby! Way to go Cobradude! And welcome.

OP
OP
Cobradude22

Cobradude22

May 11, 2018
Crawfordsville, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice everyone! This hobby is exhilarating. I have the Garrett ace 400. Working perfectly for me. Here is a few more finds from the site. I will try to keep you all updated on what I find out.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly a pocket watch chain......with the 3 circles motif,could possibly be Odd Fellows related? Beautiful piece!!

Iowa Dale

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Possibly a pocket watch chain......with the 3 circles motif,could possibly be Odd Fellows related? Beautiful piece!!

Iowa Dale

I was thinking the same thing before I saw your post. A pocket watch chain. No clue but interesting. Maybe a jeweler in your area would know.

yardgoat

May 15, 2015
Salmon, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find. If it's not marked I'd pick up a acid test kit ( their cheap) and test it. Congrats and Welcome to the site...

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look it over REAL closely for hallmarks, and the marks can be tiny. That is one serious chunk of gold. A big congratulations is in order!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever it is it’s a beautiful find. Congratulations.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's gold for sure, someone long ago must have been very sad when they lost that, looks hand made. A great museum quality find. Big congrats! :)

OP
OP
Cobradude22

Cobradude22

May 11, 2018
Crawfordsville, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More items

Just a continuation on some finds. Still digging on the 1800s location. Really wanting to find a coin. So far tons of square nails and these items. Can anyone identify them or approximately guess the age? Thanks

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that gives me some hope being in Indiana as well. Been at it for 4 years and haven't come close to anything like that. That's a nice hunk of gold! Sweet Find!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice relics and gold find! :occasion14:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great site you have found. The gold piece is really sweet. The flat button with no back mark and the leather rivet date mid to early 1800's. I'm sure you will find an old coin if you keep it up. Congrats!

MoonTzu

Apr 24, 2018
Sunny San Diego, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200 (bought used), GP pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I collect antique pocket watches. I'll add my voice to the others in saying it looks to me like either part of a rather wide chain or most of a pocket watch fob. Because all the rings appear to be intact, I'm leaning toward the fob hypothesis. It could be gold or gold filled. If it is a watch fob, then the missing pieces could be the clasp suspended from the single ring (sometimes from a short, thin chain), which would be a likely place to break. At the wide end could be some sort of matching metal endpiece/charm or - in my head more likely because there's no indication of a break - a decorative ribbon made of fabric or woven hair. Whatever it is, it's a very cool find!

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!!

Don't get used to finding big pieces of gold :laughing7::laughing7:

Just kidding

OP
OP
Cobradude22

Cobradude22

May 11, 2018
Crawfordsville, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jewelry Store

Well I just returned from the Jewelry store. They did the acid test on the piece and it turned black. He said that’s a red flag for gold. He said he thinks it’s gold filled. He said also the way the rings are held together is another red flag. He was skeptical about my story of digging it up on an 1800s site. We’ve done all the test here. It’s not magnetic whatsoever. It sinks to the bottom of a glass of water instantly. I don’t know what else to do or who to ask. My dad and I still believe it’s gold. I don’t know another metal that would be this pretty from being in the ground that long. He told us we could leave it in the shop until next Thursday for a gold guy to look at it... I said hell with that. I guess we will just have to find another opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread