Fur Trade Silver, Tinklers, and Buttons from the Dirt

Fugazi

Greenie
Apr 30, 2018
Detector(s) used
Ace 400 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out in a group outing with family and friends and had a killer day on a random new spot

The region was right but the area was untested and we hit the first button within 5min. Then a tinkler, then another...I think we went all day and the worst thing we dig was a headstamp, not a pull tab or .22LR in sight.

The ladies and kiddos were sharing my Ace 400 while I was taking my time to learn the Quattro, they clobbered me in finds. That little yellow metal dirt sniffer kept speedily cracking 30 - 80's all day and each time it was something good.

I haven't done much research yet but the "wagon wheel" jewelry and the silver earring (?) were the favorite finds of the day. The smaller button with a crown on it is also very interesting.

They did find on piece of silver with a makers mark, RG and it could be Robert Garrard from London 1810-1860 Garrard & Co Ltd silversmiths and its predecessors

Pretty cool to find both Native and British items mixed in together, kinda lets you put the whole trade story together in one place

We did find a large copper/brass sheet that was rolled up in a tube thats a bit of a mystery, It rang up in the high silver zone and I thought we hit the jackpot and I dug under a cedar tree for 30min. Was a bit disappointed when it came out but still a very interesting piece.

I hope the flattened musket ball was a test fire and not some sign of trouble! Found another chunk of lead that seemed like an ingot for smelting but it has a hole all the the way thru it like it could have been a net weight?

Anyway, thought I'd share our red letter day and wish you guys the best of luck on your next outing!

View attachment IMG_20180512_183404052.jpg View attachment IMG_20180512_183357831.jpg View attachment IMG_20180512_183427698.jpg View attachment IMG_20180512_183441977.jpg View attachment IMG_20180512_183506459.jpg IMG_20180512_183551343.jpg IMG_20180512_183522439.jpg

Upvote 28

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting bit of silver.

The RG doesn't look anything like the hall-mark you quote, they had a bottom tail to the G, & yours looks more like a C. I've looked at all the RG & RC hallmarks I can find on this site;
Silver Makers Marks

& I can't find a match. Remember these were registered maker-marks & they need to be identical, including the cartouche (the shape of the stamp, in this case oval).
It maybe US made?? (No idea)

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have any more pictures of the copper roll. Might it have been some type of horn or part of a musical instrument ? .Nice items so far keep looking .

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting bit of silver.

The RG doesn't look anything like the hall-mark you quote, they had a bottom tail to the G, & yours looks more like a C. I've looked at all the RG & RC hallmarks I can find on this site;
Silver Makers Marks

& I can't find a match. Remember these were registered maker-marks & they need to be identical, including the cartouche (the shape of the stamp, in this case oval).
It maybe US made?? (No idea)
Your right,it’s R.C., for Robert Cruickshank.
Excellent finds

Biography ? CRUICKSHANK, ROBERT ? Volume V (1801-1820) ? Dictionary of Canadian Biography

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Great/ fantastic recoveries!
The ball and cone earrings are sweet....
The broken piece is a luckinbrooch. The more Scottish originated have a more distinguished crown on top.
Pieces evolved ,and more owlish type hearts like yours turned up. Great piece.

51onet.jpg

OP
OP
F

Fugazi

Greenie
Apr 30, 2018
Detector(s) used
Ace 400 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the additional information, I was able to confirm the makers mark as RC, for Robert Cruickshank...awesome info on the "luckinbrooch" as I had no idea what that item originated from.

I'll load some more pics of the copper tube a bit later, being Mothers Day and all I need to make sure other activities take priority or I might find myself sleeping outside

Last edited:

BIENER

Apr 27, 2016
Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
AT Max
Racer 2
CORS Fierce coil
CORS Fortune coil
CORS Scout
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt. Love that Indian trade silver.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the additional information, I was able to confirm the makers mark as RC, for Robert Cruickshank...awesome info on the "luckinbrooch" as I had no idea what that item originated from.

I'll load some more pics of the copper tube a bit later, being Mothers Day and all I need to make sure other activities take priority or I might find myself sleeping outside

If you can take your detector with you, That not be a bad thing! :laughing7:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions! :occasion14:

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice "Fur Trade" items.....and that is definitely a "Robert Cruickshank" brooch! (well, part of one)

Iowa Dale

OP
OP
F

Fugazi

Greenie
Apr 30, 2018
Detector(s) used
Ace 400 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have any more pictures of the copper roll. Might it have been some type of horn or part of a musical instrument ? .Nice items so far keep looking .
Took a minute and snapped a few more shots. This copper tube is similar in size to a copper roll/sheet I found a while back. Although this one looks darker/thicker. I wish I could date patina. I might have to post in "what is it" IMG_20180513_215802117.jpg View attachment IMG_20180513_215932950.jpg

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably kettle brass & we'll never know what they were using it for. I have lots of pieces of kettle brass from Fur Trade sites. The stuff you're finding date to late 1700's, early 1800's.
I'd definitely be hitting that site again! Good luck!

Iowa Dale

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread